Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 11:53 AM

74 posts, read 183,777 times

Advertisements

Money is so tight right now (taking care of my sick mom) that I wonder if I could just get my bad mandibular second premolar (dead pulp, receding gum line, has caused some throat infections in the past) extracted without putting in an implant. I imagine my teeth will shift a bit, but would it be that significant? Enough to ruin my bite and cause TMD? I'm just so scared right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Every person is different and every tooth within their mouth is different. What happened/didn't happen to one person does not necessarily mean it will be the same way to you. Any anecdotal experiences you will receive in this thread are just that - anecdotal. Talk to your dentist(s) for the best advice so you can make the most informed decision for yourself.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

You're right. My dad's teeth didn't seem to shift nor did he develop TMD after having two molars removed. But I think I'll get the extraction and get a partial denture for that second mandibular bicuspid. It would just be cheaper and maybe save me from developing bite issues. As for bone loss, hopefully that doesn't occur. I have 31 teeth (all four wisdoms are fully out) so my mouth is pretty crowded. I need to get the wisdoms removed eventually.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
One tooth won't cause huge issues. Thanks to a health condition & a dental accident I now have no opposing molars & I can't afford implants yet. It's been less than 1 year & I can already see the difference in my face & I'm not liking it.

The rate of bone loss is also dependant on your nutritional status. Most important: Calcium.

There is a (very) old saying "For every baby; a tooth" that references calcium loss via pregnancy.

In that case; I'm scr**ed, since I've had 11. I'd sell my soul right now for dental implants but so far no takers (can't blame them).

Old 09-15-2016, 02:15 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
One tooth won't cause huge issues. Thanks to a health condition & a dental accident I now have no opposing molars & I can't afford implants yet. It's been less than 1 year & I can already see the difference in my face & I'm not liking it.

The rate of bone loss is also dependant on your nutritional status. Most important: Calcium.

There is a (very) old saying "For every baby; a tooth" that references calcium loss via pregnancy.

In that case; I'm scr**ed, since I've had 11. I'd sell my soul right now for dental implants but so far no takers (can't blame them).

So basically all your missing teeth is through no fault of your own?

Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM

Well, I take calcium supplements and try to eat calcium rich foods. So I seem okay on calcium as far as my 32-yo self goes.

I called my dentist and just told him to extract the decayed mandibular second premolar on my right side (which has more teeth than the left mandibular). Down the line, I'll get a partial denture for that premolar since I'm scared of it changing my bite. I hope a single tooth partial denture doesn't cost too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health