U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 55,326 times
Default Dry socket infection

So about a month ago my lower left wisdom tooth was bothering me so I decided to have it extracted. Upon meeting with my dentist he suggested I have the lower right one removed as well. Regretfully I agreed even though it really wasn't bothering me. The tooth was impacted and the extraction was very traumatic. He had to cut the tooth into 3 pieces just to get it out. Quite frankly it was a horror show that lasted for some time. The 2nd tooth (the one that was originally bothering me) popped right out with no issues except as it was pulled he dropped it in the back of my throat! I was given a script for amoxicilan and pain meds and sent on my way. After a week the one side was healing well but the other was sore and oozing pus. I was then given a script for clindamyacin which did little. Upon returning I was told I had a dry socket and he was going to open it back up, get it to bleed so another clot would form, pack it with gel foam, and stitch it back up. He also told me he was going to give me some different antibiotics and wrote me a script for the same thing. After a few days it was oozing more pus so he said he would give me some different antibiotics but again wrote me a script for the same clinamyacin. Again this didn't help so when I came back I asked if it was possible that that there was still a piece of tooth left behind. He said no and repeated the whole procedure this time using silk thread instead of the dissolving type and perscribing no antibiotics. It's been 5 days and I thought I had it beat but now the infection has reapeared for the third time. I don't know if I can take anymore of this. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,229,365 times
Haven't had dry socket in years but I used oil of cloves. It is painful and I hope you feel better. Contact your dentist tomorrow morning, but clove oil worked for me. If your dentist doesn't help you, contact your family doctor or another dentist because you probably need an antibiotic. When I developed dry socket, I had a terrible dentist and his secretary actually put me in touch of another one.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM

I've actually been using tea tree oil which has helped. I'll pick up some oil of cloves and give that a shot as well. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,259,512 times
Rather than buying oil of clove (which has limited use), you could just suck on a whole clove. Cloves are often used in cooking, in particular in cooking ham, and yam casserole, and a whole lot of other stuff. The oil is extracted from whole cloves, so you'll still be getting clove, but you wouldn't have to buy a bottle of oil that you probably would use for a week and never again.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I actually went back to the dentist yesterday to get the stitches removed. Before he even saw me I asked his assistant to take an x-ray of the socket. She complied and hung the picture on the wall behind me. I studied it closely. When the dentist came in he took a good look in my mouth and informed me that he wanted to leave the stitches in for another week just to be sure. He then asked me if I had any questions before leaving. I them pointed to the x-ray hanging on the wall behind me and asked what the heck are those little white dots where the tooth used to be?Could they be tooth fragments, and is that what is causing this infection? His answer was "what dots? Where?" "right there!" I said, and pointed again. He took a closer look and said it was probably just some dust or something on the film but he would take another one just in case. Well the 2nd x-ray looked as same as the 1st so he decided to try to flush it out with water and suck it out which didn't work at all. The fragments were still there after the third x-ray. He said that they were metallic Possibly pieces of a filling or more likely shards of steel that were ground off from one of his tools during the initial extraction a month ago and they are now embeded in the tissue. He told me we could proceed one of two ways, he could open it all back up and try to "rake" the debris out and stitch it all back together. (This was the direction he was leaning in). Or he could leave the fragments in there and see if it will heal up on it's own. I opted to let it be since I really can't deal with missing any more work and not being able to eat for 3 more days. When I got home I contacted a distant cousin who is an endodontist out in AZ and texted him a pic of the x-ray I took with my phone. He told me that I should be seeing an oral surgen and not a "general menace" and that he would put me in touch with one in my area. So we'll see.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,229,365 times
Thanks for keeping us updated. Hopefully an oral surgeon will get this situation corrected and you will be out of pain.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM

420 posts, read 1,255,751 times
Everyone heals differently and at different rates. I do extractions all the time and I'm a general dentist. Even if there were fragments of teeth left in the socket that doesn't mean it would've caused the pain you had. You have to remember, and I tell my patients this over and over and over and over and over.........you aren't going to feel better the very next day after surgery, it just doesn't happen. I'm not sure why the general pubic feels that once a tooth comes out you should feel better right away, it takes time to heal. Even if you had followed the doctors post-op instructions you could've still had the dry socket. Granted a general dentist did the surgery but even if an oral surgeon did the surgery you were bound to get the dry socket. You have to let it heal. And maybe it was a complicated surgery, notice I said complicated! Some of those lower third molars are so embedded in the bone that even oral surgeons have problems and YES, I've seen oral surgeons leave pieces of tooth in the socket if they can't grap it! There's nothing in the literature that says you have to remove any and all pieces of a tooth, especially if it'll be more determintal to the patient. Can't tell you how many times I've left a piece of tooth that broke off near the maxillary sinus, it happens and it'll happen again, it's a statistical fact! If he left a piece and felt he couldn't get it maybe he should've referred to you an oral surgeon, but that's no guarantee he/she will get it either. Ever hear of someone getting shot in the neck and the surgeon has to leave a piece of a bullet or a piece of metal near the jugular or carotid artery, some principle applies here. Hopefully this clears things up for you, but if you're still having problems go see an oral surgeon and get a second opinion.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,853 times
questions:
I went to a dentist in Mexico,
I had a molar tooth pulled the 3 rd one from the back on the bottom right, the dentist capped it with a bridge after cleaning and putting antibacterial stuff.
It has been 6 days, I am still in a lot of pain..
I am on antibiotics, antibacterial mouth wash, and antibacterial gel for the gum.
I am still on pain pills and ran out.
I am taking advill, as I still am in a lot of pain.
Is this normal, should I wait longer.
Cannot take out the bridge as this is zaconia, and is cemented in.

help, help, help..............
mimi

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,259,512 times
Your first mistake, is that you went to a dentist in Mexico.
You'll need to go to a dentist near you, and have them find out what that other dentist did, possibly un-do it, and start all over again. Six days later, you should be mostly healed up. But you don't put a bridge over a raw, unhealed hole in the gum. Not unless you are -inviting- infection and delayed healing time. The proper procedure would be to take the tooth out, give the mouth a couple of days to heal, and then get fitted for a bridge and a temporary bridge placed until the permanent one can be made.

Moral of the story: don't go to Mexico for dental work, unless you planning on staying there awhile AND unless your insurance covers it. Remember, you can't sue a dentist in Mexico for malpractice in the USA. The dentist knows that too.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 164 times
Unhappy Dry Socket Infection

Jason,
I have been thru this stuff a lot, I just had a tooth extracted by a good oral surgeon on Thursday, and followed all of the directions, had been to him before, last time because a dentist botched a pull of a tooth. My teeth are just sensitive, I'm on SS disability and don't have any decent dental plan, My dentist is nice, but inexperienced, He told me that the tooth needed root canal and crown. He wanted 2,000 for both, I am on disability and just don't have that kind of bucks. So he told me to think about it. Last Tuesday I scheduled an appointment for an extraction, which would have been next Thursday. I called him back a couple of days later and said that I could not wait that long. So, they were able to make it tomorrow, but He wanted an oral surgeon there. I told them I could not wait that long, and I called this oral surgeon and they said come right over. So, I had it yanked it quick, It had a big opening, so I could have a dry socket, may call them today, I have had much worse experiences with dentists. The best treatment for a dry socket is a special mixture of clove oil and some stuff that makes it stay over the clot. I pray things work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health