U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM

24,797 posts, read 30,028,219 times
Unhappy News, 24-Year-Old Dad Dies Of Tooth Infection.

CINCINNATI -- Doctors at University Hospital in Cincinnati said a 24-year-old father died Wednesday from a tooth infection.

Patti Collins, wife of famed local musician Bootsy Collins, said she couldn't believe what happened to her nephew, Kyle Willis, who left behind a 6-year-old daughter.

Read more: 24-Year-Old Dad Dies Of Tooth Infection - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/news/29044524/detail.html#ixzz1Wofz3Eqw - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM

1,451 posts, read 990,490 times
I read that article earlier this morning, and still can't believe that it is even possible for something like that to happen in this country. I grew up in an
America where a story like that was something that would only happen in a third world country. Using a generic, less than $50 worth of antibiotics taken over the course of a ten day period of time would have saved his life. And he left behind a six year old daughter.

I can understand that if someone does not have insurance and dies from decades of drinking, unable to get a liver transplant or someone not being able to afford over $200k worth of cancer treatment with no insurance after years of smoking - but seriously. . . . all he needed was some antibiotics, and he died at the age of 24 from a tooth infection.

I'm a capitalist and take care of myself, but this it is absolute insanity that this country has spiralled so far from what it once was that something like this could happen. The top 4% in the nation currently owns over 50% of the wealth and over 46 million Americans do not have any health insurance whatsoever, and more importantly, they do not have any hope of ever having it.

However, if you are an illegal alien that shows up at a hospital ready to give birth, the cost of that entire process is covered by tax dollars, or if you qualify for medicare and are old and wealthy enough to afford your own insurance, you get state funded medical care, and our own politicians are selling this country out to the global economic elite and multi-national corporations.

This isn't going to last forever. There will be a breaking point someday, and it is not going to be pretty.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:46 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,465,313 times
1. Many people don't have dental insurance. Health insurance wouldn't have covered any of the cost of getting a wisdom tooth pulled.
2. Most dental insurance doesn't cover all of the cost involved in getting a wisdom tooth pulled - typically insurance covers 80% of it, and he would've had to pay the other 20%. Further, if he -did- have health insurance, but not a prescription rider (not all health insurance comes with prescription riders) then he would've still had to pay for the antibiotics.
3. He chose pain meds over antibiotics. He went without either long enough that he was getting headaches and increased swelling.
4. You can get prescriptions filled for most antibiotics at Walmart for only $4.

So it he didn't die because he couldn't afford health care. He died because he chose not to get a problem addressed while it was still a problem, and not an emergency. And then, even when it became an emergency, he chose to mask the symptoms instead of treat the problem. Imagine the anger everyone would have here on this forum, if it had been one of his kids who had the deadly toothache, and he chose not to allow them to have antibiotics but let them have the painkillers instead.

He died as a result of his own poor choices.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM

97 posts, read 23,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. Many people don't have dental insurance. Health insurance wouldn't have covered any of the cost of getting a wisdom tooth pulled.
2. Most dental insurance doesn't cover all of the cost involved in getting a wisdom tooth pulled - typically insurance covers 80% of it, and he would've had to pay the other 20%. Further, if he -did- have health insurance, but not a prescription rider (not all health insurance comes with prescription riders) then he would've still had to pay for the antibiotics.
3. He chose pain meds over antibiotics. He went without either long enough that he was getting headaches and increased swelling.
4. You can get prescriptions filled for most antibiotics at Walmart for only $4.

So it he didn't die because he couldn't afford health care. He died because he chose not to get a problem addressed while it was still a problem, and not an emergency. And then, even when it became an emergency, he chose to mask the symptoms instead of treat the problem. Imagine the anger everyone would have here on this forum, if it had been one of his kids who had the deadly toothache, and he chose not to allow them to have antibiotics but let them have the painkillers instead.

He died as a result of his own poor choices.
mod cut:

Sometimes people don't know what to do when they are struggling that much. Obviously, he just thought he could just push through it and deal with it at a later time. Not everyone can know as much as YOU do.

How about some compassion, and a little recognition that some people have it pretty bad right now.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-03-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 06:19 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
This is indeed a very tragic story. Tragic because we have wandered so far from being able to take care of ourselves (and each other), that people are dying from things that they should not be dying of.

People have become so dependent upon doctors that all knowledge of how to treat common illnesses has all but disappeared. Ignorance causes unnecessary pain and death, as this story proves.

Anyone who cannot afford (or, does not choose to patronize) a dentist, really should take it upon themselves to learn how to care for routine problems like this. It is such an unnecessary loss of life.

Granted, I believe that one of the Egyptian Pharaohs is to believed to have died of a tooth abscess, but they did not have the knowledge that we do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

12,775 posts, read 4,133,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
mod cut:

Sometimes people don't know what to do when they are struggling that much. Obviously, he just thought he could just push through it and deal with it at a later time. Not everyone can know as much as YOU do.

How about some compassion, and a little recognition that some people have it pretty bad right now.
Nobody has it that bad. Most people have a credit card for emergencies. How much could antibiotics cost? That trip to the emergency must have been extremely expensive. I'm sorry, but this "father" was an idiot! There are even natural substances with antibacterial properties, google is free at the library.
This is an extremely rare fluke, plenty of us out here are putting off going to the dentist, but we're not that stupid.
I feel bad for his daughter. Why no mention of a mother?
We've extended unemployment for 3 years, at some point, people have to be responsible for themselves, and their offspring.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 AM

9,741 posts, read 6,451,959 times
I will never,ever understand why there has to be a seperate dental insurance when obviously dental care should be covered under a regular health insurance policy.
A sad and needless death. I've read of several deaths the last few years resulting from a bad tooth. Dental care is very,very expensive. If dental care were to be placed,where it should be, in a health insurance policy not only could people more readily seek care but perhaps the dental cost would be regulated.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM

7,365 posts, read 7,603,411 times
The same thing almost happened to one of my neighbors. He was working offshore and developed a toothache. Within a few days he was so sick that they had to fly him home early and he ended up having surgery on his neck to drain the abscess under his jaw.

Why does everything have to be about blaming someone for something? If the guy in this story had realized that his life was on the line, he would have done something about it even though he was uninsured. I'm guessing it never occurred to him that you could die from a toothache. I didn't realize it til I heard my neighbor's story.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM

6,104 posts, read 2,893,733 times
I'm quite sure Cincinnati has a dental clinic or a dental college. Had he gone to either place they'd've extracted his tooth and put him on a sliding payment plan. This guy had two prescriptions in his hand and only filled the one for pain. Bad choice, bad outcome.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 PM

9,741 posts, read 6,451,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm quite sure Cincinnati has a dental clinic or a dental college. Had he gone to either place they'd've extracted his tooth and put him on a sliding payment plan. This guy had two prescriptions in his hand and only filled the one for pain. Bad choice, bad outcome.

do you know that for fact?
There is a dental college here but it's not much cheaper to use them, it's difficult to get an appointment and the guidelines to even use their service is pretty strict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health