U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 29,716 times
Default Lifespan of a Filling

What is the average lifespan of a dental filling, both amalgam and composite..

I have a mouthful and try to take very good care of my teeth. I'm just trying to plan ahead as some of them probably can't be filled again and I need to start a savings plan for implants.

My dad has had some amalgams since the late 60's when he was in service, but that seems like a rather long time. Just curious how long they tend to last.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,269,996 times
I've only had three fillings, all of them were done before I was 12. I'm 50 now. All three fillings are metal. They are all on my lower teeth, on molars. I -have- had decay in two upper teeth but they were dead teeth that had been previously capped, and had to be removed and bridged.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM

420 posts, read 1,256,320 times
Depends on how well you take care of them and how well they were placed. Alot of people sit in my chair and want the white fillings, which is fine because I mostly do the white fillings anyhow. But every once in awhile I'll have to, yes I'll have to do an amalgam. When you place those white fillings you can't have any contimination in the preparation, meaning now saliva or blood or anything else. It should be absolutely spotless before starting to etch, bond, and then composite. Sometimes I'll rinse the prep with chlorhexidine before placing the composite to clean the preparation better. Sometimes though the preparations go near the gumline and it's hard to maintain moisture control, thereby using an amaglam wouldn't be a bad idea. I have amaglams in my mouth and unless there's a problem, which there isn't, they aren't coming out. One of my old instructors once told me, if it was placed properly and doesn't get any secondary decay, it should last until your grave! Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 29,716 times
If the top portion of a filling goes bad does the whole filling need to be replaced or just the decayed portion?

I have several teeth with deep fillings and wonder if they can ever be filled again if needed or will I loose the tooth.

I try to limit my snacks between meals and brush/mouthwash after each meal. Floss once daily.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,269,996 times
Not sure what you mean. Fillings don't have top middle bottom. It's a filling, or it isn't a filling. If your filling comes loose or falls out, it has to be replaced. The whole thing. You can't plug a fresh filling over a years-old filling. You -can- replace fillings, without replacing the whole tooth. It depends on whether or not there's further decay in the tooth.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM

420 posts, read 1,256,320 times
Hmmmm.... be careful what you're saying about not being able to put a fresh filling over an existing filling, be very careful how you say that. It all depends on the filling and yes there is a top, middle and bottom if you break the restoration down into thirds. For example, if someone came in with a very large restoration that was encroaching the pulp tissue and the top portion of the white filling (composite) chipped away, you certainly can bond another white filling on top of the existing white filling, what made you think you couldn't do that? In fact, if it's encroaching the pulp you had better leave well enough alone or else you'll be asking for trouble. Now if there's decay underneath the existing restoration and the whole thing needs to be replaced, then replace it, no doubt about it. Also, you really can't place an new amalgam (silver) filling over top an existing amalgam filling. Those amalgam fillings aren't really bonded anyhow and they rely on a certain preparation technique for retention.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 AM

525 posts, read 382,991 times
I just had all of the amalgam replaced with composite because they were locking fragile and decomposed I love the composite it is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health