Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,661 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how this is going to work? I have a big cavity on a tooth that got a root canal a few years ago, and now I'll be getting a crown to fill this same tooth. Does anyone know if there's going to be a root canal preceding the crown? I'm going for this appointment next week and I want be in less surprise as possible..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Crowns don't fill teeth. Crowns cover teeth. If you had a root canal, then you won't be getting another one. They'll carve away the cavity, shape the tooth down so it can fit a crown, and place a crown over the whole thing to protect it and give it a "facade" so it looks and chews like a whole, healthy tooth again.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Unless the cavity is so big that there is insufficient wall left to fill and still hold the crown securely. In that case the tooth has to come out and an implant
put in. Those run $6,000, with good dental insurance less than $1,000. They take close to a year with healing time between steps. Hopefully your dentist has established that yours will be OK for a crown already by the x-rays.

You can guess how I know all this. I think my teeth paid for his swimming pool and Mercedes.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
Root canals are done before the crown. Now, let's say you do get a crown on a tooth that didn't have a root canal, which is possible, there are ways of doing the root canal thru the crown to preseve the crown, but it's much harder and I usually refer those. Think of a crown as a haircut for a tooth, we shave the tooth down to a certain dimension and take an impression and stick a temporary crown on it. Next visit you'll come in, take the temporary crown off, cement the real crown, check the occlusion and fit and off you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health