U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,322,743 times

Advertisements

I need dental insurance. Anyone knows of a good one. Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 27,424 times
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think there is such thing as a supplemental for dental insurance. And if there is, chances is that it's not worth it. The supplemental that I know of is basically for health and they vary in quality and price. But again, dental is one of those things that if you want pretty teeth, be ready to pay up.

Thanks a lot.
Brian Jow

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM

121 posts, read 365,886 times
Dental insurance is not very beneficial. 20 years ago the annual max was $1,500. Now the max is still $1,500. A crown costs about $800 now. If you haven't seen a dentist for years and a lot of problems, it wouldn't help you much.
My honest opinion is that people will spend thousands of dollars on clothes, cars, and other material objects, but when it comes to pay for a beautiful smile? Put it on a credit card and pay it off month by month.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 34,271,315 times
It isn't just paying for a beautiful smile...it's paying for not having a deformed jaw, for being able to breathe through your nose, for not dying from an infection in the mouth that travels into your brain, for being able to chew solid foods, and being able to inhale without experiencing excruciating pain from the air. Oh and let's not forget about being capable of enunciating clearly (hard to do when your teeth have rotted out of your mouth).

Let's see - a winter scarf, or most of my brain cells intact. Which is more important? Oh I know! I'll get a scarf. And a pretty pair of gloves to match! And ooh, golly gee gosh - there goes another dozen brain cells on the carpet floor. Not a big deal, since clearly I didn't have that many to start with if I'm picking a scarf and gloves over an intact head.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 PM

339 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Let's see - a winter scarf, or most of my brain cells intact. Which is more important? Oh I know! I'll get a scarf. And a pretty pair of gloves to match! And ooh, golly gee gosh - there goes another dozen brain cells on the carpet floor. Not a big deal, since clearly I didn't have that many to start with if I'm picking a scarf and gloves over an intact head.
In Colorado, where the temps fall to single digits and negatives quite often...you'd die much faster without a pair of gloves. Like the other day...my car decided to lock me outside in what was probably 15 or 20 degrees, snow up to my ankles for an hour and a half while I waited for help to arrive.

...Then, you'd be paying a doctor to amputate your hands! A lot more expensive than scarf, gloves and dental work combined LOL. I'd go with clothes now, dental later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
Dental insurance is not very beneficial. 20 years ago the annual max was $1,500. Now the max is still $1,500. A crown costs about $800 now. If you haven't seen a dentist for years and a lot of problems, it wouldn't help you much.
My honest opinion is that people will spend thousands of dollars on clothes, cars, and other material objects, but when it comes to pay for a beautiful smile? Put it on a credit card and pay it off month by month.
I agree...it's something almost you just have to pay for over a period of time or even go to a foreign country.

But what about those people who get free cleanings/checkups from the employer benefits? All I know is a few years ago, I was trying to get a crown; the same one I just finished paying for myself, with Cigna dental from my dad's job. If I remember correctly, either it wasn't covered because it happened before the fact, but they still wanted $900 for crown and root canal. The same amount pretty much if I'd paid out of pocket with no insurance.

I was so upset. It's like, what the hell?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 34,271,315 times
You're missing my point, CruisingUSA. My point, is that there are people who have the money to afford luxuries..pashmina scarves, $300/pair gloves, $800/pair virgin calf-leather boots with silk lining, etc. etc. etc...and then complain about the cost of an implant.

I'm not talking about function over need. I'm talking about fashion over need. I could have said people would complain about the high cost of dental insurance, while they're out putting a down payment on their Bentley. I picked scarf and gloves because yo ucan get a nice warm comfy pair of gloves and a matching scarf for under $50 combined, so if you're spending a fortune on them, you really have no wiggle room to complain about the cost of dental care.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

12,240 posts, read 14,372,901 times
I don't know anyone who puts the luxuries of a new scarf, or expensive pair of boots over getting their teeth done....none.....though I do know a lot of people who desperately need their teeth fixed (for the good of their whole general health)...but they absolutely have no choice but to pay their rent and buy some food instead.....maybe the only ones who complain are the ones who CAN afford it....the ones who can't already KNOW that they're s**t out of luck...so they don't waste their time complaining about something that they know is out of reach for them.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 31,014 times
I suggest getting a discount dental plan as an alternative to dental insurance. You can save 10-60% off most dental procedures. You can start using the discounts almost immediately and plans start at $79 for the entire year at DentalPlans.com. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM

12,632 posts, read 10,327,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalHyGenie View Post
I suggest getting a discount dental plan as an alternative to dental insurance. You can save 10-60% off most dental procedures. You can start using the discounts almost immediately and plans start at $79 for the entire year at DentalPlans.com. Good luck!
I checked that link: DentalPlans.com and found that many of the plans had only a few dentist in my area that participated. Some of the plans only advertised 15 to 50% savings - I expect that I would see the lower savings and not the upper limit savings?

I started on Medicare A & B as of the 1st. I also bought into a local supplemental plan that pays for preventive dentistry. I would also like to see if there are any good full coverage plans available. I would presume that the full coverage plans are very expensive.

With todayís modern dentistry you can easily dump several thousand with no end in sight.

I would like to see our dentist become competitive. Years ago I remember that some people would travel ten hours or more to an NC clinic to have their teeth pulled and receive affordable dentures. I havenít heard of any cases recently of people traveling for dental services. Perhaps the American Dental Association had the place raided? I wish that dentist would have to have their rates posted on their doors.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM

405 posts, read 1,122,741 times
Most dental plans I've checked into only cover 50% of major
things like crowns, restorations, root canals, etc.
And they also have an annual cap of $1000 or so.
Heck, a cleaning I can pay for myself.
It's the major stuff you need help with.
What good is dental insurance that covers 50%??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health