U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,452,849 times

Advertisements

If, after knowing a dentist for a few months, you can't decide if you trust him, then you probably can't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 860,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If, after knowing a dentist for a few months, you can't decide if you trust him, then you probably can't.
With "a dentist I've only known a few months". I meant: "I've seen this dentist once for my first routine check and that 12 minute visit did not yet give me enough information to decide of I trusted this guy or not". That's the reason why I was gathering some more information. This has been very helpful. Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 28,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2012 View Post
Here an update for who's interested:

It's now about 14 days after my original post.

I was right: the smell came from the inside of the crown. It was a horrible smell from the cement that was hard as rock and stuck to the inside of the crown. I put the crown over night in a bath of water and lots of toothpaste. This dissolved the film that was stuck on the inside of the crown. The white gold came out shining like new and did not stink anymore.

My dentist said that the crown and the tooth under the crown are both good. He wanted to cement the crown back in. Because this one molar had been sensitive to pressure for the last 5 years I thought this was an opportunity to have an endodontist look at it once more now that the crown was not on there.

I saw the endodontist and she said that an old filling under the crown was placed deep in the dentin, possibly reaching the tooth's pulp (see below for a drawing of a tooth for who's interested), possibly causing (lightly) inflamed pulp and nerves.

She recommended a root canal treatment and a new crown.

I had the root canal done and after three days of letting the gum heal a bit, I went back to my dentist to ask his opinion: keep the old crown, or put in a new one. I said I hoped that I did not need a new crown (they're only covered 50% by my insurance), but that I did not want a solution less than best. He insisted that the old crown was as good as any new crown so he cemented it back in.

Today, 6 days after the root canal and 3 days after cementing the crown back in place, I'm a happy camper: It all seems better than before the crown came of, and possibly, as good as it was 5 years ago. My insurance covered 80% of the root canal and re-cementing, So I paid $240 for the root canal and $30 for re-cementing. Not bad. Thanks for your opinion to the responders and I hope that the documentation of my experience might be of help to others.

If you have any questions please let me know, this thread was useful for you, maybe shout out below; that would be interesting for me to know. Cheers, -m
Hi, Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a same problem with my crown placed 7 years ago. Now I still don't know what I should do with it.

Would you mind telling me what happened since you have posted on 2012:

1. The crown has been good since then?
2. Did your dentist explain the cause for the smell and how to prevent it? If not, what's your option?
3. What insurance did you have to cover the 80%?

I'd appreciated for any advice.

Lisa

Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 14,067 times
Hi,
So I have this crown that came off today, I can't exactly remember when it was put on(I have a few of them in my mouth), but I'm guessing with in last ten years. There was actually no bad odor - I have a very keen sense of smell - but there is a quite a bit of inflammation in my gums around it and I have some tenderness as well... I called a bunch of dentists bit they were all closed already since it was Saturday, I managed to get an appt for Tuesday morning however. My concern is that I can't see any tooth left, it's all black and brown and looks pretty horrific. I'm freaking out because I don't have anything to put the crown back on,mech time I tried it just came off, which probably means I will need an implant or a bridge. I do have an insurance but I know it will still cost a lot and I'm pretty broke... I guess I should just calme down and wait till the appt, will also call my insurance to grind out the coverage.... Very nervous....

Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,395,350 times
It sounds like the crown had a leak allowing the tooth underneath to decay. That's bad news. Just hope that enough of the tooth is left in good shape to allow for another crown.

Several years ago I had a crown come off. My dentist at the time just glued it back on. Big mistake. I ended up having to have the tooth pulled and got a bridge.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 28,160 times
It actually turned out a very happy result: I used a different approach that saved the expensive and painful process: root canal and new crown as my dentist told me. While I was waiting the appointment for an endodontis, I was receiving special treatment for my painful tooth from a licensed acupuncturist Steven Sonmore. It just took 5 treatments, the terrible pain and smell disappeared. It saved me more than $1100 and a risky and painful tooth surgery!

My acupuncturist treated the decay where was affective by bacteria, which is the cause for the pain and smell. Now it all makes sense.

Hope this note is helpful.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 AM

26 posts, read 76,671 times
I suggest you to go to the dentist. He/she will clean out the inside and outside of the crown and fix you teeth to the same position.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 13,434 times
Thanks for this post. I have a crown in the exact same place as yours. It was put on about 7 years ago. The tooth underneath has had a root canal done on it. Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a suction to the tooth if I chew gum or anything that may stick to the teeth a little while eating. My crown hasn't completely came off but is very loose. I too have noticed that if I lift the crown slightly off of my gum line that there is a smell that comes from it. I'm making an appointment to have my dentist remove it so it can be cleaned and re-cemented. I'm afraid that if I try and completely remove it myself I will damage the crown and it will cost more money to have to replace it verses just having it cleaned and reattached.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 12,077 times
Sounds like someone might have taken a dump in your tooth. Glad you did not have dump the tooth and get an implant. That would have cost so much and would have been painful.
Flag the bad odor is gone. I am going through the poop mouth smell now as my crown came off an hour ago.
I am hopeful the tooth is ok.... although doubt it!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM

10,086 posts, read 18,463,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Anderson View Post
Sounds like someone might have taken a dump in your tooth. Glad you did not have dump the tooth and get an implant. That would have cost so much and would have been painful.
Flag the bad odor is gone. I am going through the poop mouth smell now as my crown came off an hour ago.
I am hopeful the tooth is ok.... although doubt it!

I've had "poop mouth" smell before, and I am fastidious about my dental hygiene! Finally I found my crown was loose, and an infection had developed underneath it. It wasn't possible to do another root canal, so they removed it and did an implant . No more "poop mouth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health