U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM

308 posts, read 643,358 times
Default How much does dental insurance cost monthly?

I can't get dental insurance through my work because I work from home, so I was wondering if I can purchase dental insurance through an insurance company? If so, which ones offer it? I could call a ton of different companies to find out, but it's easier asking on here and I can maybe learn which ones are least expensive. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
There are hundreds, and what they offer depends on the individual plan, and WHERE they offer it (the state, the locality, the dentists who are "in network," etc.) depends on the company and the plan. You need to check your local yellow pages.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM

781 posts, read 1,282,713 times
There are also brokers who can provide rates and coverage for health insurance, I'd imagine they can do it for dental as well.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM

308 posts, read 643,358 times
I only asked because I've never heard of people buying dental insurance anywhere other than through their work. Insurance companies like State Farm, etc. Guess I have work to do. Thanks for answering.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM

359 posts, read 692,474 times
Default re: dental insurance

I've been shopping for same and the results are not encouraging.
Most dental plans I've come across are highly restrictive in what
they cover and require a waiting period before you can use them.
And if that isn't bad enough most have a low annual cap --
usually $1000 to $1200 at best.
And if that isn't bad enough they require any outstanding
balance to be paid in full at the time of service (no billing).
Whether company or private insurance you generally see the same thing.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,114,355 times
When I was unemployed last year I got my own dental insurance thro a broker with Humana. They charged me $16.99 a month for about 4 months. BUT they continued to bill me even after I had told them three times to cancel the policy. In the end I had to provide them with proof I had coverage thro someone else before they condescended to cancel and refund me the money they had taken from my account.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM

359 posts, read 692,474 times
Default re: insurance

Yep, in addition to all the above you have to agree to maintain
your policy for at least a year.
A far cry from the way things used to be.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,644,590 times
Default Dental Ins Search website

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
I only asked because I've never heard of people buying dental insurance anywhere other than through their work. Insurance companies like State Farm, etc. Guess I have work to do. Thanks for answering.
You might start here

Dental Insurance Plans and Coverage | DentalInsurance.com

Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM

15,874 posts, read 15,716,906 times
I have never had Dental "Insurance" but I do have a dental plan and it can save you a tremendous amount of money depending on your state.

Try this site....then do your homework. Call the dentist and make sure they accept the plan and ask if they have set rates or is it percentage off. The best plans are the ones with set rates.

http://dentalplans.com/

BTW, Blue Cross Blue Shield offers dental insurance but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Also....Dentists in TN will offer anywhere from 5-25% off if you pay cash. Is that where you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health