U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 14,076 times
Default Big liar dentists

Do anyone have any experience about trusting the dentist you visit?
I always know that you cannot trust doctors 100%. And by my experience with dentists, I have the proof that some dentist can be big liars!
The sad thing is that the 'authority' of Dentist Association do not care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,137,390 times
The dentist I have now, I trust. I found this office through the BBB and never again will I carouse the phone book or neighborhood for any dentist. For that matter, anytime I need anything I'll go through the BBB and find someone with a high rating. Life's too short to get short-changed by half-assed companies or just companies that don't care.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,724,346 times
Well...
Tell me about it. They will try to sell you "everything" under the moon.
Just had to put down 2K for DD's teeth... yikes.
Wanted a 2nd opinion too but the other dentist is booked full.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM

301 posts, read 350,621 times
It seems like the dentists are running assemblys line and hounding you to spend more money. I long for the professionalism they once had. Guess it's all about the money now.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,450,874 times
I think what's happened is that their professional organizations have brainwashed them to think that "so-and-so" MUST happen - so then they translate that to their clients, as if it is written in stone.

It's like they think of teeth 24/7 and don't think anything else is important.

When my dad was almost 90, the dentist convinced him he needed thousands of dollars worth of work. He knew this was just ridiculous and in fact, he never reached 90. The dentist insists you MUST have your teeth cleaned every "x" months, you MUST have x-rays every "x" months, and YOU MUST have every expensive treatment they can think of . . .I really think they believe what they are selling, so they must be getting brainwashed by their organizations . . .

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 AM

11,166 posts, read 14,306,962 times
It's not all dentists. However, I have seen a rising trend in "special services offered." I think this has more to do with insurance (the patient's and the dentist's) than with the dentists themselves. The insurance writers require so much paperwork, that there's less time for doctors of all kinds to spend on really getting to know their patients and understand their needs. They're being pressured to use their offices as assembly lines; patient in, patient out, keep talking to a minimum, use the computer to print out the treatment schedule and if you didn't get that panoramic, now's the time to toss that in. The computer is telling the dentist everything that needs to be done now, instead of his own eyes. The "system" is turning the dentists into zombies.

I mean, patients aren't even allowed to do their own spitting anymore, and you're not allowed to have the suction tube bent and hooked over your lip for convenience; now the hygienist has to stand there holding the suction thing waiting for you to indicate you need it. And of course the dentist has to pay for the increased useage of his hygeinist. Instead of just doing simple cleanings and devloping x-rays, the hygeinist is now pretty much a paramedic of the dental office and responsible for -all- adjunct treatments that the dentist doesn't have time to do (because he's running back and forth between 4 different treatment rooms to make sure his double-bookings are taken care of).

The dentist does more and more paperwork, and less and less dentistry, and he's burning out. The dental office where I go, has gone through four dentists in three years. The head dentist who actually owns and runs the place, I've seen once.

I think it's the system itself, that has taken the personability out of dentistry, and that widens the gap between patient and doctor, and as a result, makes it that much more difficult to include trust on -both- ends of the spectrum.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,630,006 times
I went to a dentist who had a great reputation in the community. He had an engaging personality.

He went to dental conferences often. You'd think he was learning state of the art techniques but no, most of the presentations were on how to make more money.

I had a filling in one of my front teeth. He used some inferior amalgam that would stain and/or degrade quickly so that he could frequently redrill and refill it, 'just for cosmetic purposes' because it was in the front.

The next dentist I went to filled it and it has not stained apart from the surrounding teeth nor has it degraded for at least a decade now.

I don't mind sales pitches, but this guy deliberately chose crap materials and inconvenienced my life just to turn me into a constant source of income for him.

I did have all my silver fillings removed. I think there is a lot of hype in certain circles about the danger of the mercury in them. I never thought it was as tragic/dramatic a situation as presented, but never liked the idea of mercury in my mouth, so when I got some spare cash I decided to have them all removed. I may be insensitive but I notice no difference except my mouth looks better if it opens while I laugh.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 AM

10,902 posts, read 8,638,899 times
I'd be willing to bet that the dentists in the Mexican Border cities sing a different tune than those furthest from the Border. San Diego, El Paso, Tucson, Yuma dentists, how can they make any big money with the stiff competition across the Border?

When I was recently in Algodones, Mexico, outside Yuma, with all the dental tourists there from Canada and elsewehere, and with their 40+ dental clinics there, I can't imagine a dentist choosing Yuma to set up a dental practice, let alone San Diego!

But, beware, the Mexican dentists have jumped on this band wagon as well, but you'll pay a lot less for it! And if you go furthur into Mexico or all the way down to Central America, it will even be cheaper!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM

2,430 posts, read 3,270,756 times
I trust the dentist I have now; have been going to him for about six years. The one I tried prior to that was a joke! He tried to convince me to have all of my crowns replaced, plus other dental work that was unnecessary.

The worst part? He would never tell me the costs involved. When I'd ask, all he would say is, "We already contacted your insurance." ?? So, what does that mean? What are the amounts I would be responsible for paying?

He kept trying to get me to make an appointment to start the work; but I kept saying I needed to know the costs first. He refused and said perhaps I should find another dentist. DUH! Discovered soon afterwards that he handled other patients that way. Amazing the guy is still in business.

My current dentist never once indicated I needed all of that work done; just standard cleanings, x-rays once a year, and a filling or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health