Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM

14,359 posts, read 20,424,213 times

Advertisements

I need an upper plate. My Uncle suggested Affordable Dentures.
They give you one the same day. But, you have to go back in about 6 month and pay again for the permanant one.
So, you end up buying two.
I think their's are $484.00 per.
So, I decided to visit a dentist and try to get the 5 teeth pulled (there are all side by side) and let the gums and bone heal up, and move around and get settled for 6 months. Then go to Affordable and get a partial upper plate. This eliminates the need to buy two partials.

The dentist has explained to me that if I do that, the condition of my lower teeth will cause the upper plate to break, etc. over an "undefined" period of time. He is suggesting pulling two lower teeth, and fillings and other work on the upper teeth, that will secure the upper plate. He says the foundation is not there, on the upper teeth, as far as support for the upper plate. And he is suggesting a lower plate, matched to fit the top plate and to replace the two lower teeth that are to be pulled, and the other 3 lower teeth, I'm already missing.

So, excluding Affordable Dentures, what are all of you finding out there in plate land as far as cost?
And I'm told there are 3 types, one semi metal, one with wire supports, and one that is flexible plastic of sorts.

My initial idea was to just get the upper plate and wear it when I go out in public, and not when at home. The dentist said that might make the life time of the plate be longer.

So, are plates designed or supposed to be worn 24 hours a day?

I saw nothing wrong with wearing it only in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM

833 posts, read 1,706,755 times
In November of 2010 I had all my teeth( plus 2 wisdom teeth ) pulled and full dentures done by a dental clinic in Harrison Arkansas.

Total cost was $3450 .

They put the dentures in place immeiately after extraction and I returned several times for scheduled adjustment.

The final hard liner dentures were put in at the 6 month mark.

The original cost covered the adjustments and the final hard liner.

I have gotten many compliments on my dentures from relatives and friends.

I take my dentures out only at night.
Wearing them only ocassionally will guarantee you never adjust to wearing them.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM

421 posts, read 2,528,081 times
Dentures should be taken out at night, stored in a solution with water, not bleach. And the denture you're referring to is called an immediate denture. Basically if you need your teeth out, the dentist will take the impression beforehand and wack the teeth off the stone model and then made a full denture with acrylic. Patient comes back in to the office, gets numb, teeth are taken out, denture is inserted and off you go. By the way, you should keep the denture in your mouth for at least 48 hours after the surgery, it'll help with the healing.

Now the problem comes up a few weeks later when you're done with the healing and the swelling has gone down, the dentures will feel loose. That's why they're saying to come back for a relign of that denture. I don't like doing these dentures, too many patients come back and complain. But these are also the same patients that dont' want to walk around without teeth either. By the way, cost of my full upper denture is $900, but then again there are multiple appts, usually 4. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
In November of 2010 I had all my teeth( plus 2 wisdom teeth ) pulled and full dentures done by a dental clinic in Harrison Arkansas.

Total cost was $3450 .

They put the dentures in place immeiately after extraction and I returned several times for scheduled adjustment.

The final hard liner dentures were put in at the 6 month mark.

The original cost covered the adjustments and the final hard liner.

I have gotten many compliments on my dentures from relatives and friends.

I take my dentures out only at night.
Wearing them only ocassionally will guarantee you never adjust to wearing them.
Your total cost sounds reasonable.

My dentist charges $238 per complex extraction, and I have 5 of those. Then I have 16 more that would be $135.00.
That's $3350 before office visits, impressions, dentures, etc.
Not to mention I can not have a lower plate until the lower madibular tori is removed. (I think that is what it is called)
I get the impression the dentist might want to fix everything bad about my teeth, and not pull the top front 5, so I can get an upper partial.
I can not afford dental work, so my plan was to go one tooth problem at a time.
Example: I have a tooth that is in pain today. I get that taken care of with filling or extraction. If and when, the next one begins to hurt, at some point in the future, I go get that one done.

As expected they took a full mouth X-ray and "seeing" all the issues in my mouth was a conversational event. It will be a challenge because the teeth that would anchor the upper plate need repair. And they said the upper plate would not last very long because of the issues in the lower teeth. That spelled out the need to pull 3 lowers, get the tori surgically removed, and get a lower partial too. I think the dentist wants to fix it all.

The reason my teeth are in the shape they are is income related.
I do have a Care Credit account and the dental clinic was glad to hear that. Charging it, is not a solution, it actually adds to the problem of debt.
I guess I could walk away from this dentist and go to another.
I could die before I get any good years use out of my two new dentures, upper and lower. I can't afford to buy a new mouth full of hardware, planning for the cosmetic advantages looking many years out. There are more important things that have to be paid for than a complete renovation of all my teeth. And the dentist never even suggested removing all of my teeth, just 5 upper and 3 lower.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Dentures should be taken out at night, stored in a solution with water, not bleach. And the denture you're referring to is called an immediate denture. Basically if you need your teeth out, the dentist will take the impression beforehand and wack the teeth off the stone model and then made a full denture with acrylic. Patient comes back in to the office, gets numb, teeth are taken out, denture is inserted and off you go. By the way, you should keep the denture in your mouth for at least 48 hours after the surgery, it'll help with the healing.

Now the problem comes up a few weeks later when you're done with the healing and the swelling has gone down, the dentures will feel loose. That's why they're saying to come back for a relign of that denture. I don't like doing these dentures, too many patients come back and complain. But these are also the same patients that dont' want to walk around without teeth either. By the way, cost of my full upper denture is $900, but then again there are multiple appts, usually 4. Hope this helps.
My idea was to get these top 5 pulled, let it heal for 6 months, then go to Affordable Denture for a $484.00 top partial, with no need to go back 6 months later for a permanent one (since I would have had them pulled and healed, before going there)
Affordable's cost involves the extraction, and then you have to buy two partials, a temporary and go back to get a permanent.
I was trying to bypass the need to buy two upper dentures.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post

Basically if you need your teeth out, the dentist will take the impression beforehand and wack the teeth off the stone model and then made a full denture with acrylic. Patient comes back in to the office, gets numb, teeth are taken out, denture is inserted and off you go. By the way, you should keep the denture in your mouth for at least 48 hours after the surgery, it'll help with the healing.

Now the problem comes up a few weeks later when you're done with the healing and the swelling has gone down, the dentures will feel loose. That's why they're saying to come back for a relign of that denture. I don't like doing these dentures, too many patients come back and complain.
I'm going to an oral surgeon for a consultation to find out his cost to remove tori, etc.

Then back to the dentist for another consultation.
I'll discuss this impression first > extraction > install plate > few weeks later it becomes loose.
He did say mt teeth have to be repaired, etc. before even thinking about impressions.

I'm not clear on the total cost, but there is a small chance I have to walk away from all of it.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 38,186 times
I went to fla dental center for an upper denture. I have to have three teeth (simple) removed, and 2 teeth (complex) removed. The total price for everything is $1099 for the denture, and $1250 for the removals. This is before what my insurance will pay. What I am wanting to know is this a good price? I've seen a wide variable of prices, but what I am paying seems to be low. Anybody know? The work is fast and reliable, and takes care of pain, also includes a two year warrenty. Tks

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleiter View Post
I went to fla dental center for an upper denture. I have to have three teeth (simple) removed, and 2 teeth (complex) removed. The total price for everything is $1099 for the denture, and $1250 for the removals. This is before what my insurance will pay. What I am wanting to know is this a good price? I've seen a wide variable of prices, but what I am paying seems to be low. Anybody know? The work is fast and reliable, and takes care of pain, also includes a two year warrenty. Tks
It sounds low to me.
I had two lower teeth removed surgically with a drain tube for abscess and paid close to $1250 just for that.

Affordable Dentures can pull and give you a same day temporary denture for low prices.
Then you go back 6 months later for a permanent one.
Prices are low but "reviews" are very mixed.
Orlando West, Ocoee Affordable Dentures Florida Location - Affordable Dentures

If you are using a single practice dentist, costs will be alot higher than AD.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 21,840 times
I have 21 teeth that are all decayed, enamel off and broken. They all need to go. I have $4500 and would like to know if $4500 will be enough to have all 21 teeth removed plus a full set of dentures.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
It depends, Kennedy3230. It depends on whether or not the extractions are simple extractions (where they can just yank them out) or surgical extractions (where they have to dig down into the gum and break the teeth apart bit by bit to get them out). It depends on if you need bone grafting as a result of bone loss due to that amount of neglect. It depends on whether or not you have infections, which require antibiotics. Then you need to know if you need conscious sedation or full sedation. There's also the quality of the dentures and the type - implant dentures? Or permanent "fixed" dentures? Where are the dentures coming from? The lab in the "same day dental clinic" that specializes in shoddy work and keeps you coming back for more, and doesn't take insurance at all? Or from China, where they don't care who the patient is and therefore have no vested interest in whether you're happy with your decision? Or from a lab in the USA that considers itself a dental prosthesis artist (there are several of those)?

$4500 might be enough if you get all the work done at a dental hospital and have no complications at all.

If you go through private practice and have the dentures made at a specialty prosthesis artist's shop, need grafting and full sedation, have some infections that need to be cleared up before they can finish the job, it might be just enough to pull the teeth out, but not enough to get the dentures.

Location means a lot too. If you're getting it done in Tupelo MS, it'll probably be cheaper than if you went to NYC or Beverly Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health