Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM

224 posts, read 825,804 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear experiences from people who have gone to a biological dentist. I've just recently read about their existence online. What kind of treatments did you get? How do they do cleanings and what do they do for cavaties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM

152 posts, read 476,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Would like to hear experiences from people who have gone to a biological dentist. I've just recently read about their existence online. What kind of treatments did you get? How do they do cleanings and what do they do for cavaties?
The term "biological dentist" does not translate to a specialty qualified by the ADA, so it sounds like a marketing ploy.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,636,153 times
It's a psuedo-scientific phrase describing a particular group of dentists who have been suckered into believing (or who are unscrupulous enough to pretend that they believe, because it's more profitable) a host of things that are not proven, and in some cases have been proven false.

Most of it revolves around the proven-false notion that the mercury contained in amalgam fillings can leech into your system and build up throughout decades and ultimately poison you. Think about that one for a minute...
a single amalgam filling -might- have as much as 50% mercury in it. A single filling is less than a drop, in volume. So less than half of a drop, would be mercury. And the theory goes, that you will *build up* mercury in your blood over time...because it's leeching out of that filling.

This means - that the filling will, by virtue of the "leeching" going on, get smaller. And since it starts out at 50%, that means the filling will become 25% smaller. Which means it will no longer fit in the cleaned-out-cavity...

but hm. Your filling is still intact. How is that possible?

It's possible, because the mercury isn't leeching anywhere. It's exactly where the dentist put it 20 years ago. Right there in your tooth.

But "biological dentists" insist that this fact of physics is untrue. There's also the issue with the fact that an amalgam is a *mixed substance.* The mercury doesn't seperate from the rest of the ingredients. It'd be like saying if you touch a cookie, the baking soda from the batter that created that cookie, will leech into your body and cure your dyspepsia through osmosis. The baking soda is no longer baking soda. It is now batter. A cookie is not butter, flour, sugar, and baking soda. It is batter. The batter started out as butter, flour, sugar, and soda, but once combined, it is no longer its components. It is the end result.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Biologic dentistry ignores that fact of physics, and pretends to work on the whole health, while focusing on a single ingredient as the cause of the problem.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 AM

I didn't post a question so I could debate biological dentistry with anyone so please if you have no experience going to one I don't care to hear your unqualified opinion. I'm tired of going to scam artist dentists who will tell you a crown is needed when there isn't even a cavity or saying fluorosis is caused by having had braces and dentists who say you need dental work before ever having actually looked in your mouth.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't post a question so I could debate biological dentistry with anyone so please if you have no experience going to one I don't care to hear your unqualified opinion. I'm tired of going to scam artist dentists who will tell you a crown is needed when there isn't even a cavity or saying fluorosis is caused by having had braces and dentists who say you need dental work before ever having actually looked in your mouth.
If you don't want to hear opinions of people who might disagree with the premise of your post, then don't post on a public forum.

The premise of your post is that there is some merit to biological dentistry, and you ask for opinions on it. My premise is that there is no merit to biological dentistry, and that it can even be dangerous, and that is my opinion.

Just because you found some unscrupulous dentists, doesn't mean dentistry is unscrupulous. It means -you- had a bad streak of luck. Also, sometimes crowns -are- needed when there's no cavity. And everyone will benefit from professional dental cleanings twice a year, and so no, a dentist doesn't need to look in your mouth in order to say that to you.

I -could- say that I went to a biological dentist, and it turned out to be a scam. The end result would be no different from me -not- telling you whether or not I ever did, but that it is a scam.

It's a scam, whether I went to one, or not. But if it'll make you feel better, yes I did. I went to a biological dentist. And it turned out to be a scam.

He wanted me to rinse my mouth out with bleach, and wanted to take out the amalgam fillings that I'd had in my mouth for the past 30 years, that his x-rays showed absolutely no changes, all because he insisted I was poisoning myself with mercury - and yet, after 30 years of having these fillings, I didn't have any symptoms at all, of mercury poisoning.

It's a scam.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM

48 posts, read 109,844 times
Quote:
Biological and holistic dentists are a valid choice, and you shouldn't get a lecture for wanting to know about it. It's just that we've been hearing all our lives that the only thing you can to do teeth are clean them and drill holes in them, so when someone takes a different approach, they naturally get heckled for it.

Here's a great site for the book, Cure Tooth Decay, by Rami Nagel.
Tooth Decay Cured - Stop cavities and dental pain naturally. Learn the true cause and treatment of cavities.
You can buy the book here, but there's lots of information on the website for free.
And here is the Weston A. Price Foundation site which is at the forefront of dental care through nutrition:
Dentistry - Weston A Price Foundation
And a list of dentists
Holistic Dentistry - Biological Dentist - Mercury Free Dentist Directory - Mercury Poisoning Symptom - Silver Filling - Dental Amalgam Information

Happy reading!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatha1970 View Post
Biological and holistic dentists are a valid choice, and you shouldn't get a lecture for wanting to know about it. It's just that we've been hearing all our lives that the only thing you can to do teeth are clean them and drill holes in them, so when someone takes a different approach, they naturally get heckled for it.
Yeah I completely changed my view of modern dentists after reading about the medical problems root canals can cause. People just take dentists word for things like they were God. I noticed this one particular dentist I last visited told everyone who was in his office while I was there they all needed super expensive procedures done. I mean what is the likelihood that every single person going in should have something wrong? Plus the hygienist got rude with me because I refused to buy a special mouthwash for dry mouth because she said everyone has dry mouth...well I don't. She further got angry because I refused to buy an electric toothbrush that they sell in their office. I told her I already had 2 other brands of electric toothbrushes at home and didn't need a 3rd brand. Its all about money. In this economy its even worse as they aren't even looking in the mouth now they just want to do procedures on everyone to get as much money as possible. Its disgusting the greed of people who are suppose to be doctors!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 AM

Then again, Wembly, there was something wrong with THAT DENTIST. There is nothing wrong with dentistry. You picked a lousy dentist. You chose to go to one that was, unfortunately, without scruples. They exist. Just like there are charlatan alternative medical practitioners; there are fraudulent chiropractors that give chiropractic a bad name. There are fraudulent naturopaths who give naturopathy a bad name. There are craptastic plastic surgeons that give plastic surgery a bad name.

Look for customers who have had positive results, and base your -first- visit on that. Don't just walk into McChainStoreDental expecting miracles for cheap. And if you walk into a non-chain outfit and see displays of Zoom next to the $200 toothbrushes beside the EZ-STRAIGHT fake braces and the Quickie-Fix dentures, well you have that clue right there in front of you "this is probably a dentist who makes his living off selling products, not off being a dentist." And decide whether to stay and endure the nonsense, or run away.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,768 times
I have been looking into holistic dentistry as well. We went to one holistic dentist that had a lot of good information, but he was a complete jerk. I could go into the story, but it is not relevant.
We have recently found another that we'll be meeting with next week and I'll post more once I have experience.
We've also been looking into American Biodental in Tijuana, MX, due to the desire to find a dentist who follows the Huggins protocol that won't break the bank.

We have been reading 'Cure Tooth Decay' which is also based on numerous doctors studies. I highly recommend it, but it will make you want to change your diet, so be prepared! I truly don't think our teeth were meant to rot out of our heads the way they do in America and other developed nations. It is clearly a product of our food and environment. I like that a holistic dentist will try to answer the cause(diet, toxicity, stress, etc.) behind, the symptoms(cavities, infection, etc.), rather than drill and fill stating that it is a matter of getting older or poor brushing habits (while these things may be involved). The holistic approach views the body as made up of many complex systems that certainly affect one another. It is not psuedo-sience any more than patching your teeth with experimental materials like mercury and other heavy metals is. I recommend doing your research and do not blindly trust and medical professional. Learn about your body and allow professionals to assist you with taking proper care of it if needed.
WE need to be responsible for our health!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times
The closest one is 250 miles away. If there were one closer, I would go in a heartbeat.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health