U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM

5,079 posts, read 4,705,710 times
Default How often do you remove your partial plate?

I have a friend who has a lower plate. She says she leaves her's own all the time.

Anyone remove their's to sleep?

Take them out when at home and wear them when going out in public?

Any other reasons why you remove yours, and how often?

Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 07-09-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM

621 posts, read 457,392 times
My Aunt had all of her teeth pulled when she was 16 due to an infection...she is 70 now. I have never seen her without her dentures and I used to spend the night all the time over there with my cousin. She modeled when she was young and is still super gorgeous!
I guess whatever is most comfortable. My grandma took hers in and out a lot and recently I was at a restaurant where a lad ate without them and then put them in when she was finished (I know she had Parkinson's because the gentleman with her told me so).

Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
My Aunt had all of her teeth pulled when she was 16 due to an infection...she is 70 now. I have never seen her without her dentures and I used to spend the night all the time over there with my cousin. She modeled when she was young and is still super gorgeous!
I guess whatever is most comfortable. My grandma took hers in and out a lot and recently I was at a restaurant where a lad ate without them and then put them in when she was finished (I know she had Parkinson's because the gentleman with her told me so).
I've decided to wear mine from 8am to 8pm.
Knowing I can take it off to sleep, helps me make it through the day with whatever issues it causes.
I whistle when trying to say any words that contain an "S."

I have an Uncle and when his Father died they found a partial plate in his dresser.
They never knew he even had one.
Either he never wore it, or they never saw him take it out or put it in.
It was a rear partial so they never noticed he had one.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 AM

16 posts, read 25,416 times
I have a plate and literally MUST clean it every night! That is soaking it in the cleaner stuff....At least every night! Sometimes, I soak it in Polident 2x per day but always at night!! Plus, your gums need a break from that foreign object thats rubbing your gums all the time. I would think that it would smell pretty bad and be full of bacteria if left in the mouth 24/7, but that is just my opinion!! Does she have real bad breath?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM

420 posts, read 1,255,751 times
Dentures should be taken out every night, whether they are full dentures or partial dentures, doesn't matter, take them out and soak them and clean them. Your gum tissues need to relax alittle so keeping the dentures in doesn't do any good at night. It's always interesting when I see a patient for the first time and notice they have a denture, I usually ask them if they take it out at night, and their answer is yes! I'll do my oral examination and the tissue along the arches are firey-red, meaning they don't take out their dentures, they keep them in constantly, never a good thing. Imagine all the bacteria dentures habor over time, yuck. Just take them out and throw them in a container in the bathroom, your love one will still love you, for better or worse.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 12,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markelsteph View Post
I have a plate and literally MUST clean it every night! That is soaking it in the cleaner stuff....At least every night! Sometimes, I soak it in Polident 2x per day but always at night!! Plus, your gums need a break from that foreign object thats rubbing your gums all the time. I would think that it would smell pretty bad and be full of bacteria if left in the mouth 24/7, but that is just my opinion!! Does she have real bad breath?
Nothing can be worse than the breath of someone that needs dentures and has a mouthful of messed up teeth. I had beautiful teeth all my life and took excellent care of them and in two years time something went wrong and within 5 years they started loosening up and falling out. Gums receeding and they stank bad no matter how much I brush and scrubbed them. Always chewing gum anything I could because I had no medical or dental. Thank God I just got them all pulled and that terrible taste is out of my mouth. Dentures here I come...

Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Since I would rather have no plate at all, I have come up with what works for me.
I put my plate in at 8am and take it off for the night, at 8pm.
I can not properly brush my teeth with the partial plate in. I have to take it out.

Whatever problems, or inconveniences, that I encounter during the day, are able to be dealt with, because I know it comes out at 8pm. Mine is a 5 tooth front partial. It's is not very good for eating. My top gum has bone protrusions and lower tori too, so the bottom impression used to make the top partial was not 100% the way the periodonist wanted it. My plate took longer to make than others. My impression was #48 but I was #72 getting my plate. It is made to sit under the extracted top teeth and does not grasp, in any way, the top gums. The excess bone prevents that.
So, biting with these front teeth is not optimal. In many cases it is slightly painful because the biting is putting direct pressure on the gum underneath the teeth.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 11,084 times
Just had all molars removed yesterday and an immediate denture was placed on top.Today I start to rinse with salt and water.should I remove the denture o wait until I go see my dentist on Monday

Old 04-05-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times
I would like to know how long it takes to make a temporary partial....I will be getting impressions taken before I have four bottom front teeth extracted and my temporary partial placed. I was wondering how long it should take for the dentist to have the temporary partial made. I have a vacation coming up and I need to schedule with my oral surgeon ...not sure if I should try to do it before vacation or wait until after my trip. Don't want to be in misery on vacation! So how long for temporary partial???

Last edited by plumzongirl; 04-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,259,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumzongirl View Post
I would like to know how long it takes to make a temporary partial....I will be getting impressions taken before I have four bottom front teeth extracted and my temporary partial placed. I was wondering how long it should take for the dentist to have the temporary partial made. I have a vacation coming up and I need to schedule with my oral surgeon ...not sure if I should try to do it before vacation or wait until after my trip. Don't want to be in misery on vacation! So how long for temporary partial???
You should ask your dentist. He might have a lab nearby, or he might be sending overseas for it, or he might be having it made in another state. It might take just a few hours to *make* it - from start to finish. But it might take a few weeks before the dentist has it available to fit into your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health