U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,614,469 times

Advertisements

Devin Bost finally has straight teeth -- but after 11 years of wearing braces, many of them are rotten through.

That's according to a $185,100 lawsuit filed on behalf of the 22-year-old, who claims a Eugene orthodontist treated Bost's crooked teeth with braces from ages 7 to 18. Orthodontists usually treat patients with braces for about two years.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ly_caused.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM

701 posts, read 1,271,298 times
I had my braces for six years (long story) and none of them rotted. I wonder why his ortho kept them on so long in the first place.

And what I'm surprised by is the fact that the othro put braces on a seven year old. Surely all of his baby teeth hadn't fallen out yet? It sounds so early.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,473,253 times
I had my braces on for a long time too. They were trying to realign my jaw and looking back there was no need for metal bands on every tooth to do that. Once the teeth themselves were straight they could have been removed from most. My dentist and ortho worked in the same building, in side by side offices. The day I got the braces off I went straight over for a cleaning and my dentist looked at my teeth then ran over to the ortho's office and yelled at him. This was 35 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed. But maybe not, according to this article. My teeth didn't rot out but the enamal was damaged and I still have lines and indentations on them. I also have TMJ so the realignment wasn't all that either.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,416,766 times
Although this is not my claim (I work in Oregon, but we do not insure this dentist), I can tell you there are two sides to every story. In fact, if you read the story carefully you will note the plaintiff attorney isn't sure of the facts yet. I can guarantee you he hasn't all the records yet. Also, in looking at the prayer, it is suspisiously low and that tells me they may be trolling for money only. This is also not a plaintiff attorney that strikes fear in the heart of an insurance adjuster or defense attorney.

After 13,000 claims, I can say that dental malpractice claims fall like this:

5%- Clear liability against the doctor. He screwed up.

25%- Debatable liability. Usually compromise the case for business reasons.

70%- Pure money grab generated by a greedy plaintiff and/or plaintiff attorney. Zero liability.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM

30,027 posts, read 16,607,518 times
11 years is one hell of a long time to be wearing braces! I know my son started with braces before all of his adult teeth came in; they don't wait for those anymore; but 11 years? Yikes!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,423,935 times
Heh yeah after the first four years, I'd be all "So uh, Doc. How bad are my teeth, anyway, that you'd need to prolong my traintracks another year? Because, y'know, I'm thinking - we're done with this ride, let's try something different."

And see if maybe a retainer is in order.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM

23,411 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Another report:

Boy Wears Braces 11 Years Sues Orthodontist - ABC News

"Hollander [Bost's lawyer] said Bost first came under Chvatal's care in 1997, when he was 7. During the entire 11 years, Bost visited Chvatal 'periodically -- I can't say regularly,' the lawyer said.'

I read another article that said the orthodontist being sued did not even start his practice until 2002, so someone else took care of him for 5 years.

Apparently the case was complex and the dentist's liability carrier has found nothing outside the standard of care. I have a suspicion that if there was obvious negligence the insurance company would recommend settling.

It has been a long time since I wore braces, but I remember carrying my toothbrush to school and brushing every time I ate. Every time. I had no cavities due to my braces. I suspect this young man was probably not as conscientious as he should have been.

Also, his mother is a doctor? Where was she for 11 years? Should she not be savvy enough to wonder, as AnonChick has asked, why her son needed braces for such a long time? I am sure his friends and classmates must have asked the same question - why was he still in braces when they had finished their treatment so much sooner?

The article above hints that Chvatal perhaps was not compliant in keeping appointments. If he did not return for regular visits for adjustments, the process would be prolonged. You don't just have one visit to put them on and one to take them off.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,423,935 times
I had braces, and then a retainer, for a total of 8 years. It was mostly to create a proper jawline, because I had a receding chin. An "overbite" is when the upper teeth extend over the lower teeth. Mine looked the same, but was caused by the opposite problem: my lower jaw was too far back, which caused my upper teeth (which were exactly where they should be) to extend over the lower teeth. I still have a receding chin but not nearly as bad as it was. It looked kind of deformed, when I was a kid. Now it just looks like a normal person with a weak chin.

The braces themselves came off after 5 years, but I went through three different types of braces during that period (including that hideous old fashioned train track for an external night-retainer, for those of you who remember that particular metallic nightmare). That was to push my upper molars back, which was so that they could push my front teeth slightly inward, since the lower jaw was already as forward as we were able to get it so the only thing left to do was adjust the upper jaw.

What's the point of all this story? Here it is:

During the 8 years of braces and variety of retainers, I acquired two cavities. One in my lower molar on the right side, and another on the opposite molar on the left side. Both were cleaned and filled without incident, with amalgam (mercury/silver/whatever else) fillings, and both teeth - and both fillings - are still intact, around 34 years later.

If this kid had rotting teeth after having braces for 11 years, then *he* did something wrong. And so did his mom.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 AM

523 posts, read 2,631,132 times
I had to jump in here, Share my story. 1990 at age 41, had overbite. DR A put me in braces for about 3 yrs, determined at the end of treatment I may or may not need jaw surgery. I chose not to, but within 1 year after taking off braces and wearing a retainer, my teeth moved to look bad.
I went to DR B who said jaw surgery needed so Braces again for 3 yrs getting ready for surgery. Jaw surgery 1998. I saw my regular Dentist thru out the 10 yrs, being talked into all kinds of cosmetic work. All kinds of Veneers, Crowns, My mouth looked great.
Jump ahead 2000 my jaw moved again, So basically the surgery did not work. My surgeon said do not put braces on again it is bad for your teeth.
2001 , My teeth problems started One root canal after another. I am now being told it is because of trama from wearing braces. 2 root canals yesterday. I cannot believe at least one of these dentist never said braces was trama to my teeth.
My Dentist was too much of a sales man but the 2 ortho never said a thing.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM

23,411 posts, read 28,264,585 times
If you had so much cosmetic work done I am not sure it is reasonable to blame your current problems on the braces. Did you have crowns put on healthy teeth? Veneers on healthy teeth?

How did you care for your teeth while the braces were on them? Did you brush every time you ate and floss at least once a day? Did you have your teeth cleaned regularly? have you ever smoked?

You probably signed a consent form when your braces were applied. Did you read it first? Here is a sample consent:

http://lorenzortho.com/docs/Informed-Consent.pdf

Note what it says about decalcification and caries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or