Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,261 times

Advertisements

Dental cleanings are a good idea, they are helpful. It's the required dental xrays every year that are not healthy. I well known doctor on the show The Doctors said he doesn't believe people should get xrays for their teeth maybe every 3 years, maybe 2 years. It is not healthy, to the person, getting the xray.

The person who says they think a yearly xray is the right thing to do is someone that makes a living in dentitstry or a young person who doesn't realize the yearly thing is something that was implemented in the last few years.

If a person has serious dental issues, I can see it for that person, but the average person who gets a cavity every few years, it is not necessary.

Xrays should be a choice. Doctors use to make suggestions, and it was a choice. Now doctors act like they have rule over a person and the person doesn't has have choice. Bad customer service. People use to be just afraid of the dentist, now they are becoming more and more angry at the dentist. It is bad customer service and creates a resentful relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 AM

Rosestar: ditto to a lot of things you said. Xrays every year are unnecessary. It has nothing to do with having insurance or not, xrays are not healthy to have every year. They don't care, it is not them getting the xrays, when something happens that a person thinks it could of been caused by xray, they will make up excuses.
A dentist or doctor cares about the patient first, the money comes second.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 AM

Dentists do get together in Hawaii once a year. It's a type of convention.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:42 AM

My last comment to someone who brought up dogs and the electronic cleaning device, it's awful sounding. Manual cleaning is the one thing that a patient could enjoy at the visit, but someone decided the electronic cleaning would be quicker, and could get more people through. Money before customer care.

I am surprised HSUS doesn't stop people from using electronic device to clean dogs teeth, it has got to be an awful sound for the dog to tolerate, since their hearing is sensitive. If the sound bothers humans, the sound to a dog has got to be ten times worse and if the dog has a person in a bad mood cleaning their teeth, the dog can't shout STOP IT you are hurting me. They showed a dog getting their teeth cleaned and I thought the poor dog can't defend himself without getting in trouble, if they hurt them. I had a couple of female doctors in a bad mood because they were mad at their kids, and yelled at me right after they got off the phone yelling at their kids or they were mad because I disagreed with the and boy they went off complaining to all the office help, and then there was a dental hygienist she was mad because she had to do a manual cleaning, and after she left me, she went and complained to the next customer about having to clean my teeth manually. I can defend myself, but a dog can't.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy8754 View Post
Rosestar: ditto to a lot of things you said. Xrays every year are unnecessary. It has nothing to do with having insurance or not, xrays are not healthy to have every year. They don't care, it is not them getting the xrays, when something happens that a person thinks it could of been caused by xray, they will make up excuses.
A dentist or doctor cares about the patient first, the money comes second.
The dentist also cares about his license. People who refuse xrays are the first ones to file suit when they develop a problem which was detectable at an earlier stage by xrays. The dentist is not forcing anything on you, it's your choice. You can choose to allow the dentist to practice the standard of care, or you can keep shopping for a dentist that will take your money without xrays and tell you what you want to hear.

A doctor's office is not Burger King where "you get it your way". The doctor offers treatment options and you either choose from those options, or you have the opportunity to find another dentist. Nobody is forcing anyone into any treatment here. If you think your dentist is taking an xray you don't need, simply ask what is the specific reason for the xray. But if you refuse the xray, realize that you are asking the mechanic to fix your car but you are not allowing him to look under your hood. It's like asking your PCP if you have high blood pressure without letting him check our blood pressure. Don't be surprised when they tell you to take a hike.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Trancedout, I've been going through the same thing. It's beyond ridiculous. After moving here a year and a half ago, I have called every dentist office around with the same result. They won't clean my teeth. I DO NOT want xrays. The radiation can give you cancer, low level or not. What's more if you've had a lot of work done as I have, ie root canals, caps etc., cavities often can't be seen on the xrays. The hygenists screen for cancer whenever you see them. This xray fight didn't use to be a problem 'back in the day.'
Because of having teeth traumatized by braces when I was younger, I have fairly deep pockets and try to get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year.
One solution is dental schools, but they will usually only do the cleaning once a year. -And NO xrays or exam come with it.

I did finally find a dentist that doesn't require all that, but unfortunately her hygienist is missing the mark, so I'm back to square one.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra501 View Post
Trancedout, I've been going through the same thing. It's beyond ridiculous. After moving here a year and a half ago, I have called every dentist office around with the same result. They won't clean my teeth. I DO NOT want xrays. The radiation can give you cancer, low level or not. What's more if you've had a lot of work done as I have, ie root canals, caps etc., cavities often can't be seen on the xrays. The hygenists screen for cancer whenever you see them. This xray fight didn't use to be a problem 'back in the day.'
Because of having teeth traumatized by braces when I was younger, I have fairly deep pockets and try to get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year.
One solution is dental schools, but they will usually only do the cleaning once a year. -And NO xrays or exam come with it.

I did finally find a dentist that doesn't require all that, but unfortunately her hygienist is missing the mark, so I'm back to square one.
You -could- have just had your records sent from your previous dentist to your new dentist. Especially since you claim you get your teeth cleaned every 3 months. Which - obviously isn't true since you say in the start of your post that you've been living in your current location for a year and a half without finding a dentist.

As has been mentioned here, it is -not- recommended anymore that people get yearly x-rays UNLESS the patient has known dental issues that would warrant it. That is *why* the insurance companies only cover it every couple or three years, instead of yearly now.

You get yearly biteplates, and a full set every few years.

Of course, given that you, Sabra, have a history of dental problems, if I were a dentist I wouldn't touch you as a new patient without a full set of *recent* x-rays. The last thing I need is some ridiculous malpractice lawsuit after treating a patient without knowing the extent of their *current* situation.

The only way a dentist can know what they're dealing with, is x-rays. They'd be stupid to take you as a patient, given that you have a history of problems, without them. And you'd be foolish to allow any dentist to touch your mouth for the first time without knowing that they've seen a *recent* set of x-rays.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM

629 posts, read 932,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra501 View Post

The fact that you have had so much dental work done is further reason why you should have xrays taken regularly, since you seem to be susceptible to dental problems. Most dentists won't risk their license just because you think it should be like Burger King and you can "have it your way". They would rather not have you as a patient. Remember, the dentist cannot force you to get xrays, but at the same time you cannot force them to clean your teeth or even see you. They have a right to refuse service to you as well.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
I just had an X-ray done to pull a tooth...just last visit. Now they say I need another one to see what teeth need cleaning? Is this true...sounds like bologna to me. That was just 2 weeks ago by the way?!?!?!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:41 PM

629 posts, read 932,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Kalu View Post
I just had an X-ray done to pull a tooth...just last visit. Now they say I need another one to see what teeth need cleaning? Is this true...sounds like bologna to me. That was just 2 weeks ago by the way?!?!?!
Did they take an xray of the entire mouth or just the tooth you needed to have pulled? Usually when someone comes in with a specific complaint of a single tooth, most offices will xray and treat only that tooth then reschedule the patient for a complete exam and set of xrays to determine if any other areas need treatment.

If you think it's bologna, then don't go and just wait until the next time you need another tooth pulled and let the cycle repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health