U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,029 times
Default Major infection after root canal

I had a cracked tooth in 2011. I was told it needed a root canal and crown. It was a bicuspid. I had the root canal done and the tooth crowned. The crown came off about a year later and I was told that there was too much infection under the tooth to put it back on. Now it has to be extracted. The dentist is trying to weasel out of it, claiming that a root canal is not apermanent procedure and will not restore the tooth. There was apparently an extra cnal in the tooth that was not cleaned out, and the dentist just crowned it anyway. Do I have any recourse? Is it generally accepted that a root canal is not a permanent procedure? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 AM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
I have had a few and just had a 20 year old root canal tooth break the root and had it pulled
for an implant last week. I was lucky to get that long out of it. A root canal means the nerves are removed and the root is filled, so it will never be as strong as it was originally. Wait until you see the documents you have to sign for the extraction and bone graft for the implant. All sorts of disclaimers. I'm pretty sure your dentist is right. Implants run $5000 and up from start to finish and take close to a year with healing times in between steps.
With really good dental plan figure $600 out of pocket.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 AM

11,168 posts, read 14,259,512 times
A root canal procedure is intended to last longer than a year. But no one can give a guarantee about your health. Your regular doctor can't guarantee that taking Nyquil for a cold today, will prevent you from getting sick next winter. Teeth are not permanent structures, in that they -can- fall out. They usually don't, but they can. As such, a root canal is also not a "permanent" structure. Nor is it truly "restoring" the tooth, in the literal sense of the word. It can't restore the nerve, which is part of the tooth. It replaces the nerve and pulp (aka root) instead, usually with metal or composite material. It holds your tooth in place until such time as something new happens to cause it to loosen. If nothing happens to cause it to loosen, then it can hold that tooth in place indefinitely. In -that- sense, it is "permanent."

I'm not sure how you ended up with two nerves on a bicuspid - it's possible, but it's rare. Your dentist would've seen it on the x-ray before he started any work though. And it's possible that -that- nerve was healthy and fine and in perfect conditon when he did the root canal, and it failed at some point after due to trauma or neglect. It doesn't happen often, but as I said, having two nerves in a bicuspid also doesn't happen often.

Seems everyone who posts their horror stories in attempt to blame the dentist for things, is the exception to the rule. Amazing how that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health