Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

One thing is for sure, my parent's generation didn't floss..............and many have dentures now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times
I think it's mostly growing up without it being a conditioned behavior. Like someone said, families usually emphasize brushing but not flossing. It seems most people only are exposed to flossing in the first place once they start going to the dentist or as adults. There are plenty of things that aren't habits for people for years and habits you don't have are just as hard to get into as habits you have are hard to break. Doesn't mean you're a lazy bum or an uneducated idiot.

I think the second reason is time. I don't think anyone can judge someone for what they consider to be too much or too little time because everyone has a different life. When I was working a job and carrying responsibilities that had me exhausted at the end of the day and waking up exhausted to start it all over again without much sleep, I can tell you that EVERY minute was precious to me. Sometimes, I'd get home and literally pass out immediately without even having dinner let alone worrying about my teeth.

And I often left without any breakfast if I didn't have anything in the house that didn't have to be prepared, picking up something near work instead. Could I have set my clock a few minutes earlier to make sure I had time to make something? Yes. But when you have a stressful job and busy life that has you dead on your feet, that snooze button giving you just a few more moments of rest to build up energy can often mean more to you than having time for some eggs or, yes, flossing.

Everything isn't about being lazy. Some people would be so lucky to have so much time and such a leisurely life that they have the luxury of BEING lazy. I don't have a lazy bone in my body and I didn't floss for years. It wasn't a habit I came up with and wasn't a priority. Now, it's a part of my routine when I get home and I have a nice paced life where I can squeeze everything in that I want to do (flossing, exercising, cooking decent meals instead of eating out) without sacrificing energy and sleep.

Definitely in the camp that thinks it's incredibly important to floss but also understand that everyone's mouth is different so I can see some people not needing it as much as others. I need it lol

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Some folks just haven't been shown how to do it or they do not even think about it. I think it's important as it gets food particles out from in between the teeth. I have periodontal disease and flossing is a must. I do it every night before bed while watching TV. It's become a strict habit. I like the saying: "you only have to floss the teeth you want to keep"
Some folks get by without flossing, wish I was one of them. Since I've been flossing religiously nightly my gums have become very strong and pink. I suggest flossing before you go to bed so that debris is not lingering in your mouth all night.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Time consuming, Also takes a steady hand. The mornings (At least here in NYC) times usually seems to go faster then most places i think. The one or two minutes can mean the difference between arriving to work early or being late.
this sounds pretty lame

Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
my opinion? Its a pain in the neck to reach in the back of your mouth. Some teeth are very tight...once u get that string back there...then yank...sometimes the crap that's stuck flies out like a projectile. its a pain but imagine the crap fermenting in your mouth? yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health