U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,213 times

Advertisements

Today I was trying to open a nail polish bottle with my teeth (stupid, I know) I BARELY bit down on the cap and my molar chipped. It doesn't hurt and it wasn't chipped in half or anything, I'm thinking it's just the enamel that chipped (Crossing fingers) It chipped a layer from the bottom of my tooth and run up the side towards the gum. It's very jagged and rough. I do not have dental insurance and won't anytime in the near future. So my questions are:
1. Do I need to get this fixed since it doesn't hurt?
2. How much will it cost to get fixed?
3. Do you have any recommendations on a dental school or dental clinic where I might find this to be less expensive?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba123 View Post
Today I was trying to open a nail polish bottle with my teeth (stupid, I know) I BARELY bit down on the cap and my molar chipped. It doesn't hurt and it wasn't chipped in half or anything, I'm thinking it's just the enamel that chipped (Crossing fingers) It chipped a layer from the bottom of my tooth and run up the side towards the gum. It's very jagged and rough. I do not have dental insurance and won't anytime in the near future. So my questions are:
1. Do I need to get this fixed since it doesn't hurt? Yes! Get that tooth fixed ASAP before decay can set in.
2. How much will it cost to get fixed? Could vary. Look for dentist that will accept payments. It is more important than most can believe to keep their teeth and gums in good health. Many diseases can get into your blood by way of your teeth and gums!!!
3. Do you have any recommendations on a dental school or dental clinic where I might find this to be less expensive?No sorry but ask around to find help. One thing you don't want to do is......nothing.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
I have a lot of experience with such things, as a patient. If not too deep they might be able to just grind it smooth, but if the enamel is gone, it will decay very quickly so you need to get it checked right away. Depending on the location of the chip it could be repairable but more likely will require a crown, at about $700 at my dentist. You can save money by going to the dental school at a local university, where students do the work under the supervision of the instructing dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health