Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
False, lauric acid, coconut oil is 50% lauric acid and is the worlds most abundant source of it. It has anti-bacterial properties.

Furthermore, olive oil is a source of phenolic compounds, which is anti-bacterial enough to kill off salmonella.

Mouthwash and toothpaste both dry your mouth tissue, thus becoming a perfect breeding ground for bacterial growth and infection.

Oils moisturize and protect the tissue, they do not dry the tissue.
In order to get enough phenols from olive oil to benefit you, you'd need to ingest around a cup of it. Unfortunately, drinking a cup of olive oil is likely to make you sick to your stomach, and negate any possible benefit from the phenols. On the other hand, a single drop of thymol diluted in 1/2 ounce of grain alcohol doesn't have to be ingested at all, and only needs to be applied to your skin, or swished around in your mouth, to achieve the benefits of the phenols.

Phenols are used for a lot of things - including the manufacture of nylon, detergents, and epoxy glue.

Unless you're SWALLOWING that coconut oil, there will be ZERO benefit to mixing it with spit in your mouth, any more than mixing water with spit in your mouth. And again, you'd need to actually drink coconut oil. Not mix it with cake flour, or use it to cook your omelet, or do any other thing that causes it to cook/heat up. I mean take a 1/4 cup of coconut oil in a glass, and drink it. And then, you will see your cholesterol levels go up. Which is great, if you have low cholesterol. Not so great if your total is too high and you're at risk for arteriosclerosis. In which case - you should be avoiding it, not encouraging it.

Also, lauric acid is not known for antibacterial properties. It's known to raise serum cholesterol. It's also used to make soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
In order to get enough phenols from olive oil to benefit you, you'd need to ingest around a cup of it. Unfortunately, drinking a cup of olive oil is likely to make you sick to your stomach, and negate any possible benefit from the phenols. On the other hand, a single drop of thymol diluted in 1/2 ounce of grain alcohol doesn't have to be ingested at all, and only needs to be applied to your skin, or swished around in your mouth, to achieve the benefits of the phenols.

Phenols are used for a lot of things - including the manufacture of nylon, detergents, and epoxy glue.

Unless you're SWALLOWING that coconut oil, there will be ZERO benefit to mixing it with spit in your mouth, any more than mixing water with spit in your mouth. And again, you'd need to actually drink coconut oil. Not mix it with cake flour, or use it to cook your omelet, or do any other thing that causes it to cook/heat up. I mean take a 1/4 cup of coconut oil in a glass, and drink it. And then, you will see your cholesterol levels go up. Which is great, if you have low cholesterol. Not so great if your total is too high and you're at risk for arteriosclerosis. In which case - you should be avoiding it, not encouraging it.

Also, lauric acid is not known for antibacterial properties. It's known to raise serum cholesterol. It's also used to make soap.
False, Antimicrobial activity of olive oil, vinegar, an... [J Food Prot. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI.'

I'm not talking of digestion, you do not digest any oil while doing the oil pulling method. You want to spit it out, never swallow.

You are also incorrect about lauric acid, LAURIC ACID: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
False, Antimicrobial activity of olive oil, vinegar, an... [J Food Prot. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI.'

I'm not talking of digestion, you do not digest any oil while doing the oil pulling method. You want to spit it out, never swallow.

You are also incorrect about lauric acid, LAURIC ACID: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD.
Did you even bother to read your own link? WebMD is a clearing house of data. The link for lauric acid provides information on what people use it for. But if you check the entire data file on it, within that link, you'll see that there's no evidence, or even any testing, to indicate that it actually WORKS for any of the things it's used for.

Just like some people drink a tablespoon of vinegar every day to "balance their digestive system." Yes, that's what they use it for. It doesn't actually DO that, but it doesn't stop them from trying.

I could use pink paint on my elbow to cure diabetes. It won't cure diabetes, and I don't even have diabetes. But damn if I can't use it for that! That's what the webMD page shows, about lauric acid. That people USE it for things - whether or not it works for those things.

Lauric acid serves no medicinal function at all. People USE it for medicine, but it doesn't actually DO anything medicinal.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM

206 posts, read 215,576 times
There is a blurb in the current issue of Woman's World about this, but they suggest using red wine rather than any oils. They say that the red wine has acids in it that kills mouth bacteria.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
There is a blurb in the current issue of Woman's World about this, but they suggest using red wine rather than any oils. They say that the red wine has acids in it that kills mouth bacteria.
It is true.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Did you even bother to read your own link? WebMD is a clearing house of data. The link for lauric acid provides information on what people use it for. But if you check the entire data file on it, within that link, you'll see that there's no evidence, or even any testing, to indicate that it actually WORKS for any of the things it's used for.

Just like some people drink a tablespoon of vinegar every day to "balance their digestive system." Yes, that's what they use it for. It doesn't actually DO that, but it doesn't stop them from trying.

I could use pink paint on my elbow to cure diabetes. It won't cure diabetes, and I don't even have diabetes. But damn if I can't use it for that! That's what the webMD page shows, about lauric acid. That people USE it for things - whether or not it works for those things.

Lauric acid serves no medicinal function at all. People USE it for medicine, but it doesn't actually DO anything medicinal.
You act like you know everything, let me guess you swept a small portion of the internet and because you found a lack of evidence to support coconut oil you conclude that it doesn't do anything? About as unscientific as you can get.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:16 AM

No, I'm someone who has studied (in real life, not on the intrawebz) organic chemistry and has real actual knowledge about phenols and terpenes.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
MJ7

Quote:
No, I'm someone who has studied (in real life, not on the intrawebz) organic chemistry and has real actual knowledge about phenols and terpenes.

Links to your publications?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
If you asked your dentist about it they would most likely say it was a good procedure, they won't deny it even though it takes money away from their business. I use extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (a lot on the market aren't legit, California Ranch and Kirkland the Costco brand are 100% legit). I haven't tried it with coconut oil, but I definitely would.
I never had one tell me about it at all. And would you expect them to? They have a tuition to pay for, expensive equipment to pay for and a family to rear...no they would not.

Let do a comparison:

Oil Pulling cost: $14 in oils This included the essential oils that contain thymols (i.e. peppermint, tea tree)
Bass toothbrush $ 1.50 each shipping $6.00
The Nylon floss $8.00 each shipping $6.00
Grand Total of $ 35.50

Dentist Visit: $75
Cleaning: $65
Filling: $100 and up
Whitening: $200
Grand Total of $440 or more And this is the price if you have insurance plan

Hmmmm...I think I'll do the oil pulling and brushing as a preventive... to prevent me from visiting or need for a dentist

Last edited by eyewrist; 06-28-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I never had one tell me about it at all. And would you expect them to? They have a tuition to pay for, expensive equipment to pay for and a family to rear...no they would not.

Let do a comparison:

Oil Pulling cost: $14 in oils This included the essential oils that contain thymols (i.e. peppermint, tea tree)
Bass toothbrush $ 1.50 each shipping $6.00
The Nylon floss $3.00 each shipping $6.00
Grand Total of $ 30.50

Dentist Visit: $75
Cleaning: $65
Filling: $100 and up
Whitening: $200
Grand Total of $440 or more And this is the price if you have insurance plan

Hmmmm...I think I'll do the oil pulling and brushing as a preventive... to prevent me from visiting or need for a dentist
There's no thymol in tea tree or peppermint oil. There are no essential oils that contain "thymols" (plural). There are essential oils that contain thymol (singular). Thymol isn't a category of things. It's a singular thing.

If I did oil pulling, brushed my teeth, and flossed, I'd STILL go to the dentist twice a year. I haven't needed a filling since I was a little girl, and I've never needed whitening. My dental visit includes a cleaning and yearly x-rays, and I pay around $100 per year for the two visits and professional cleaning and full set of x-rays.

Oil pulling isn't what's keeping you out of the dentist's office. You are what's keeping you out of the dentist's office. You should be going anyway, to make sure that what you're doing is enough. The reason for that: if what you're doing isn't enough, and you don't get it checked in time to prevent it from getting worse, then by the time you DO find out how bad it is, it'll be bad enough to cost you a WHOLE lot more than $440 with insurance to fix it.

Edited to post my non-dentist expenses:

Toothbrush - I pay $20 for an Oral B electric once every 4 years (because the rechargable battery eventually stops taking a charge), and pick up a 6-pack of brush heads for $20 once a year from BJ's.

Floss: I get that free when I go to the dentist's office, twice a year. The hygienist stocks me up with a few hundred yards of Glide, and a few dozen floss threaders for my bridge. I supplement that with a 100-pack of thread-tipped flossers for $3.99 once a year on sale at CVS and use a coupon so I end up paying around $1.49.

Pulling: I buy Listerine in the enormous two-pack for $20, it lasts me two years because I use it only a few times a week, diluted.

So in total, I'm paying approximately $45 per YEAR for home-maintenence of my dental health. Plus the yearly checkups and x-rays that you should be getting, whether you take care of your teeth at home or not.

To the previous poster pushing those Bass toothbrushes - how many do you buy? You're only getting one toothbrush, for $1.50, and paying $6 for shipping, and not buying anymore all year long? Nice buy by the way - they're sold for $2.75 each on the Bass website. You sure you're getting the real deal and not a cheap Chinese knockoff? Or are you actually getting Dr. Bass Butler toothbrushes, which you can buy for $1.50 at CVS and not have to pay any shipping at all?

You should be replacing your toothbrushes at least once every 1-2 months. If you're not, then you're not getting the benefit from the brush that you should be getting. So multiply that $1.50 by however many replacements you get every year, plus the appropriate additional shipping (unless you buy a year's worth all at once), and THEN tell us how much it's costing you. Same with the floss, and the oil, and the essential oils you think contain thymol but don't.

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-28-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health