Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times

Advertisements

I've never tried an electric toothbrush but I got figure the rotadent is more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,574 times
After having a periodontal cleaning my dentist told me I "had" to use a Rotadent toothbrush. We had just purchased brand new Oral B electronic brushes that were quite expensive. We had always used Oral B's. We tried the Sonic Care once and they were very painful on the gums, way rougher then Oral B.

After about 6 months the rotadent took a crapper. I have used my Oral B with the sensitive gum brushes they make, since then. It will be 2 years since my periodontal cleaning in January. My teeth, as I have been told, are excellent. My teeth have actually improved since using the Oral B, which I LOVE!

My parents also had a rotadent years ago after their periodontal cleanings. They didn't use them for more then 3 months, when the whole thing cracked. They have been using the Colgate battery ones and have had no problems. They started at a new dentist shortly after they started using the rotadent and he actually told them they didn't need to use it at all.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,085 times
TECHNOLOGY:Rotadent has complete non stop circular motion. Rest have pulsating motion or back and forth. Personally I think non stop circular is much effective and efficient.

RESULT: If you use Rotadent for 1 month and then goto Dentist for regular cleanup they will surely ask you what kind brush you use. Results are immediate.TIP: I dont use Rotadent daily. I think if you use it too much it may harm. So I use it alternatively with regular manual brush. Results are still awesome. Teeth are cleaner not only outside but equally good on inside and hard to reach places.

COST: Ofcourse Quality will come with price. After 4 years when I tried to buy heads (flat and pointed), each is costing $20. Which means 6*20=$120 for a family of 3. Expensive!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakhale View Post
COST: Ofcourse Quality will come with price. After 4 years when I tried to buy heads (flat and pointed), each is costing $20. Which means 6*20=$120 for a family of 3. Expensive!!!
That's still cheaper than an expensive dental procedure.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 14,010 times
PRO: I have used Rotadent for 6 years. I used other toothbrushes, manual, battery and electric. The Rotadent was by far superior. I too had gum issues, that was six years ago. I have also done the test of using other methods of brushing then following up with the Rotadent. It's amazing what you miss with those other brushing methods. I also used the "colorizing" tablets just to see what I missed with each experiment and again Rotadent won out. Now, when I go for my cleanings that don't last very long and I asked for a discount since I am not providing the hygenist with much work. Well, I didn't get the discount, but I do feel really good that I've not had to have another gum treatment. When using the Rotadent, I start with a light amount of baking soda, that removes all of the day's crud from my teeth and gums, I then followup with "whatever" brand toothpaste.

My one CON with the brush is buying the brush heads (the ones with the long-like neck that you remove from the handle and replace with another) or purchasing just the tips (just the brush part).
I was able to purchase these items from my dentist, since no one was buying the toothbrush and accessories, I was able to purchase them for discount until they were all bought. Now, I am looking elsewhere and the brush heads are VERY expensive...and I know that it is much cheaper to have a mouth in good condition than having to be in the chair getting dental work done. But, the prices are ridiculous. I haven't been able to find just the tips (brush part only) since I purchased them all from the dentist.

SO I AM APPEALING TO ALL, if you find a place, whether internet or store that has a price better than $11.57 a head or anyplace to purchase just the tips alone, would you please share. I am down to my last two sets of tips. I will continue to monitor this site for any assistance.

The brush is really VERY good. For people who wear braces, this is an excellent tool for cleaning your teeth and braces. With the pointed brushes, they are able to go in between the metal and clean the area really good. I've actually encouraged 5 of my other friends to try the brush.

Thanks alot and good luck to all who use or have tried the toothbrush!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 12,814 times
My periodontist recommended Rotadent after I had to have really expensive surgery to correct pockets under my gums. He recommended daily use. His profession is all about the health of the gums so he should know. He also said that other rotating brushes (i.e. Oral B, Sonic Care) are too rough and can actually damage the gums. I would not recommend buying replacement heads on eBay, I had to return twice because they would squeek and skip; finally asked for a refund that took 3 months of persistant follow up to get.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,277 times
I never understood the "gimmicks" with all these different toothbrushes- curved heads, bristles of different lengths, etc. A toothbrush is a toothbrush! Proper brushing technique is more important than any fancy features of an expensive electric toothbrush or other toothbrush with "new improved bristles"

Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I have a sonic care and found it to be rough on my gums. Didn't like using it...
I recently moved and went to a different dentist and hygenist, and this one recommends the rota-dent, she says it is gentler and they do sell various brands, but that one is her favorite. Next time I go I will probably get one...
I think the Sonic Care is a total scam. I had the $20 Oral B electric toothbrush and did a better job than my $120 Sonic Care. The Oral B toothbrush is better because it has a more powerful motor and better cleaning head. The Sonic Care brush has the sonic technology(which hasn't been proven to work) and the brush heads move at a slower speed, have softer bristles and don't pick off as much plaque. The difference is noticeable. You can feel the difference in a couple of days with the Oral B.

Also, you don't need the high end Oral Brush brushes either. The motor is the same for the cheap and the expensive model and that's the only thing that counts. You don't need a timer and a moving brush head. That makes no difference.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 12,385 times
I have a Rotadent and wondered why it stops when you press it against your teeth? I have to just hold it in place with a light touch. It also does not seem to go fast.......I am being teased by my husband for paying 100 dollars for a "piece of junk".....

Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritamead View Post
I have a Rotadent and wondered why it stops when you press it against your teeth? I have to just hold it in place with a light touch. It also does not seem to go fast.......I am being teased by my husband for paying 100 dollars for a "piece of junk".....
Is it charged up; do you feel heat on the charger when it's plugged in? Are you pressing it into your teeth too hard? The brush should barely touch your teeth.

Maybe just a bad unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health