Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM

917 posts, read 1,999,858 times

Advertisements

I'm embarrassed to post this but here goes.

Since I was a teen my teeth have always been yellow. I got teased about it in school. I've tried whitening toothpastes, electric toothbrushes, strawberries, baking soda, peroxide rinses. These all make them appear a little whiter but they always have a yellow tint to them.

I've never smoked and I hardly drink coffee so what gives? I was never a big soda drinker either.

When I go to the dentist for cleanings they do look a little whiter but still yellow.

I tried crest whitestrips but I wasn't consistent. Stupid, I know.

I brush twice a day and floss daily.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,695,207 times
Spring for in office whitening at the Dental office. It could get them significantly whiter. The at home whitening strips are great, but the in office treatment is much more powerful.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM

^Ok. I bought a deal a while back for whitening but the place got poor reviews so I didn't go.

I was hoping someone could help me understand why they are always discolored when I dont drink drink coffee, colas, or smoke.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM

595 posts, read 2,695,207 times
Well, without seeing your teeth in a picture, that would be really hard to answer. There could be many reasons why your teeth are yellow. Have you ever asked your Dentist? Some people had a medication as a child called Tetracycline that caused banding of gray or yellow to discolor their permanent teeth. Or had too much Fluoride which could cause yellow with spotting of brown or white to occur. If it were either of those that were the cause then the Dentist would be your best bet to discuss your options. Whitening could lessen the impact but wouldn't get them white as the "stain" is locked into the enamel so to speak. Other questions I would ask would be drinking green tea, drinking wine (white or red.) Those things can cause staining as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,033,403 times
You could also be genetically cursed with thin enamel. The enamel is what causes your teeth to be white but if it's thin then the dentin underneath is allowed to show through. Dentin is yellower in color and softer than enamel. I have the exact same problem as you and this is what my dentists have told me.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Well, without seeing your teeth in a picture, that would be really hard to answer. There could be many reasons why your teeth are yellow. Have you ever asked your Dentist? Some people had a medication as a child called Tetracycline that caused banding of gray or yellow to discolor their permanent teeth. Or had too much Fluoride which could cause yellow with spotting of brown or white to occur. If it were either of those that were the cause then the Dentist would be your best bet to discuss your options. Whitening could lessen the impact but wouldn't get them white as the "stain" is locked into the enamel so to speak. Other questions I would ask would be drinking green tea, drinking wine (white or red.) Those things can cause staining as well.
I never ased my dentist but my dental hygenist did notice it one time. My bottom teeth are more yellow than the top.

I cant remmeber if I ever took that medication. Can you get too much fluoride from you toothpaste?

I do drink green tea and wine occasionally but like I said this has been happening since my teens I wasn't drinking green tea or wine then.

I have to see a periodontist so maybe I can ask when I see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
You could also be genetically cursed with thin enamel. The enamel is what causes your teeth to be white but if it's thin then the dentin underneath is allowed to show through. Dentin is yellower in color and softer than enamel. I have the exact same problem as you and this is what my dentists have told me.
Hmm my mom's teeth are discolored too so maybe it is a genetic thing. I have a "stain" on one of my front teeth that the doctor said was due to the enamel and there was nothing I could do about it. So I guess I have had issues with my enamel.

Has anything helped you teeth to be somewhat white? Does anyone mention that they are yellow? No ones mentions my teeth anymore but I still feel self concious about it.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM

340 posts, read 521,107 times
Quote:
Originally posted by hershey48
Don't feel embarrassed. That's the problem with the world we live in nowadays, beauty and glamour magazines have engineered peoples way of thinking to believe that pearly-whites, perfectly sculpted bodies/figures, and flawless completions, are the norm, but that simply isn't true.

I was also going to mention medications, specifically, Tetracycline.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 PM

332 posts, read 864,882 times
You know when you see some africans with perfect white teeth? they use charcoal. I think it's activated charchoal. It's suppose to help whiten and prevent caries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post

Since I was a teen my teeth have always been yellow. I got teased about it in school. I've tried whitening toothpastes, electric toothbrushes, strawberries, baking soda, peroxide rinses. These all make them appear a little whiter but they always have a yellow tint to them.

I've never smoked and I hardly drink coffee so what gives? I was never a big soda drinker either.

When I go to the dentist for cleanings they do look a little whiter but still yellow.

I tried crest whitestrips but I wasn't consistent. Stupid, I know.

I brush twice a day and floss daily.

Any advice?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,993,918 times
I was told a yellow tint can be normal. If it was corn yellow....that maybe really yellow!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 AM

17,465 posts, read 38,882,669 times
Natural teeth are ivory colored - it's ridiculous how people strive for that blinding neon-white smile these days, it looks so unnatural.

Your teeth are probably normal, and I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to bleach them will just be bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health