Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:13 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience....
About 1 1/3 year ago I had to have my upper last molar removed. My dentist recommended that I get an implant placed, so after getting a graft and letting all that heal I had am implant placed approx. half a year after getting the tooth pulled. All went well, no pain, no issues. So after another half year I had a ceramic crown placed. All seemed fine after a couple of days (had some pain at first because my gum tissue had to be cut). Then several months later, something felt "off". But no pain and gums look fine too. Sometimes there would be slight "clicking" noise (for the lack of a better term), so I saw the dentist who checked on my implant and it was very slightly "mobile". My bite was off where the implant had been placed and the dentist ground the crown down a bit to fix that. Also he had me come back to check my night guard and there was small spot that was off too. He DID check the bite after placing the implant and it was all ok. So I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else????
I had to go in for an x-ray today and there is some improvement since my bite has been fixed, no more clicking noises and I have to go back in another month. Unfortunately I did not get to talk to the dentist, as he was busy with a patient, but he did look at my x-ray. I am wondering, what could have happened to shift something in my mouth to cause my bite to be off to begin with? Could the night guard be the cause? The night guard fits one the bottom teeth, so could they impact the upper crown? It just seems odd that a very small spot in my night guard could cause implant failure?
After I first was told that the implant might have to come back out, I did some research on line and read quite a few opinions by dentist who think that once an implant is loose at all, it is a failed implant. Is there even a chance my implant could still be ok?

forum rules, please read them

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-20-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
It seems there are 2 issues here.

The first is a crown that is too "high". Not unusual. It happened to me a time or two and a simple adjustment took care of it.

The second is a possible loose implant. If so, I am pretty certain it has to come out. Once you lose the bone support, then there is nothing to hold it in.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
The screw holding my implant "came loose" from the tooth which resulted in the entire tooth wiggling and effecting my bite. The dentist had to drill a hole in the implant, tighten the screw (or something like that) and refill the hole in my tooth. There was nothing wrong with the bone or how the screw was attached to the bone. He said that on a rare occasion that happened to an implant.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The screw holding my implant "came loose" from the tooth which resulted in the entire tooth wiggling and effecting my bite. The dentist had to drill a hole in the implant, tighten the screw (or something like that) and refill the hole in my tooth. There was nothing wrong with the bone or how the screw was attached to the bone. He said that on a rare occasion that happened to an implant.
When I heard the weird little noise, I was hoping that this was the issue.
I am glad that your situation worked out!

Not exactly sure what happened with me
The good news is that it "looks better" on the x-ray they did today. The dentist said that adjusting my mouth guard and by crown/bite could have the effect that the bone would attach to the implant again. The little noise did stop, thankfully. I just never read anything anywhere about a loose implant (even if only a tiny bit loose, like mine) being ok again.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It seems there are 2 issues here.

The second is a possible loose implant. If so, I am pretty certain it has to come out. Once you lose the bone support, then there is nothing to hold it in.
That is what I thought...
strangely enough it does feel like it is getting better after my bite has been fixed. No more weird little noise and it doesn't feel as "strange" as it did. Guess I will find out more in a month. The dentist told me that the bite caused the problem and that if tissue had not grown into the tiny space between the bone and the implant, then there might be chance for it to turn out ok.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
That is what I thought...
strangely enough it does feel like it is getting better after my bite has been fixed. No more weird little noise and it doesn't feel as "strange" as it did. Guess I will find out more in a month. The dentist told me that the bite caused the problem and that if tissue had not grown into the tiny space between the bone and the implant, then there might be chance for it to turn out ok.
germaine2626 is right- if the implant may be able to be tightened. I hope that works for you.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 PM

Thanks I hope so. Not looking forward to having this thing removed and then what????

I envy the people with great teeth. No amount of brushing and flossing seems to help mine and now, as I am getting older... it seems like the problems just don't end. Ha. I guess it could be worse though

Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Thanks I hope so. Not looking forward to having this thing removed and then what????

I envy the people with great teeth. No amount of brushing and flossing seems to help mine and now, as I am getting older... it seems like the problems just don't end. Ha. I guess it could be worse though
I know what you mean. Seems like a new pain every day.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
There are 3 parts to an "implant"

1) Implant itself - this is the large titanium screw that is placed into your bone
2) Abutment - this is the portion that sticks out of your gum and holds the crown. It is secured into the implant with a small screw
3) Crown - this is the white/ceramic "tooth". It is usually cemented onto the abutment. Sometimes, the abutment and crown are made as one piece are screwed into the implant with that aforementioned small screw.

If something is loose, it is very important to determine what exactly is loose. If the implant itself is loose, then that is a failed implant and everything needs to be removed. If the abutment and/or crown is loose, then that can usually be fixed by re-tightening the small screw, re-cementing the crown, or something like that.

Bottom line, a loose crown/abutment can be fixed/replaced relatively easy. Loose implant = game over.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
There are 3 parts to an "implant"

1) Implant itself - this is the large titanium screw that is placed into your bone
2) Abutment - this is the portion that sticks out of your gum and holds the crown. It is secured into the implant with a small screw
3) Crown - this is the white/ceramic "tooth". It is usually cemented onto the abutment. Sometimes, the abutment and crown are made as one piece are screwed into the implant with that aforementioned small screw.

If something is loose, it is very important to determine what exactly is loose. If the implant itself is loose, then that is a failed implant and everything needs to be removed. If the abutment and/or crown is loose, then that can usually be fixed by re-tightening the small screw, re-cementing the crown, or something like that.

Bottom line, a loose crown/abutment can be fixed/replaced relatively easy. Loose implant = game over.
Thanks for the details. I believe that my "screw" came loose. It was very, very easy and inexpensive for the dentist to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health