Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I just need a couple extractions.

probably won't need a harvard dentistry school grad for that.

I see a bunch of horror stories here though...
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/heal...sociation.html

But it sounds like these guys don't have a dhmo.

A DHMO with no waiting period or benefit maximums definitely sounds like it doesn't pay for anything.
So essentially it's a big ass scam where we flush $80 down the toilet.

I found a site that estimates dental costs
FH Consumer Cost Lookup

and impacted tooth extraction retail cost is lower than I thought. Partial impaction is just ~$400 retail.
Removing a part of your body is a surgical procedure. Believe me, there is a TON that can go wrong in an extraction, even for "simple" cases. Why do you think malpractice insurance is so high? My consent form for an extraction is 3 pages long. Go see an experienced dentist/surgeon.

Honestly, you are paying $80/year, which is chump change in dentistry - would you really expect it to cover anything? I had a similar situation where a lady was surprised that her Obamacare dental "insurance" had a $5000 deductible and no implant coverage. She said "but I pay $7 a month for it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 06:49 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,599 times
well i have two options:

1. go see a dentist without dental insurance and find out what the retail cost is.

2. pay $80 for "insurance" and maybe save $80 on the entire procedure. I would be a little mad if I only ended up saving $40.

Internet sources say dhmo is supposed to save money, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

At least delta dental has a 30 day moneyback cancellation period where I can check the credentials of the dentist assigned to me.

Seems like the ultimate ponzi scheme. Just take a nickel from everybody and get rich by volume.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
well i have two options:

1. go see a dentist without dental insurance and find out what the retail cost is.

2. pay $80 for "insurance" and maybe save $80 on the entire procedure. I would be a little mad if I only ended up saving $40.

Internet sources say dhmo is supposed to save money, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

At least delta dental has a 30 day moneyback cancellation period where I can check the credentials of the dentist assigned to me.

Seems like the ultimate ponzi scheme. Just take a nickel from everybody and get rich by volume.
100% correct. The only winners here are the insurance companies. Not the patients. Not the dentists. They lower reimbursement rates to dentists yet increase their premiums to members while reducing actual benefits/coverage. Look at any major city - who has the tallest buildings? Banks and insurance companies.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
100% correct. The only winners here are the insurance companies. Not the patients. Not the dentists. They lower reimbursement rates to dentists yet increase their premiums to members while reducing actual benefits/coverage. Look at any major city - who has the tallest buildings? Banks and insurance companies.
OK, abolish all insurance and see how much money doctors lose. Probably 50% or more.

Also, see how many people just let their teeth rot out of their face rather then have that rtc. Or that deep perio cleaning. I wonder how they'll like having most their teeth extracted and not be able to afford dentures.

I understand the angst against insurance carriers (and they certainly aren't perfect), but when one stops and realizes the good they actually do people would be amazed.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM

Funny thing is that the public thinks the dentists and doctors will continue to work with these insurance plans as the reimbursements keep dropping and overhead keeps increasing. Everyone who signed up with Obamacare is realizing what a scam it is because they can't find a doctor who will take their plan.

Imagine if your boss told you that they were reducing your salary by 50% yet you are still expected to do the same quality of work and meet the same deadlines. Most people would quit in a heartbeat.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:39 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
OK, abolish all insurance and see how much money doctors lose. Probably 50% or more.
Of the 4 dentists in my group, I am the only one who is in-network with any insurance plans. I have the lowest income of the group.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Of the 4 dentists in my group, I am the only one who is in-network with any insurance plans. I have the lowest income of the group.
As someone who is a risk manager for over 8,500 dentists, I can state that those who do not accept insurance plans and work with patients with no insurance are by far the lowest wage earners.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Funny thing is that the public thinks the dentists and doctors will continue to work with these insurance plans as the reimbursements keep dropping and overhead keeps increasing. Everyone who signed up with Obamacare is realizing what a scam it is because they can't find a doctor who will take their plan.

Imagine if your boss told you that they were reducing your salary by 50% yet you are still expected to do the same quality of work and meet the same deadlines. Most people would quit in a heartbeat.
And this will drive doctors to stop a solo practice and work for a mill type place where all possible corners are cut. It's a shame- for both the doctors and their patients.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:43 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
As someone who is a risk manager for over 8,500 dentists, I can state that those who do not accept insurance plans and work with patients with no insurance are by far the lowest wage earners.
I was just stating how it is in my office. Why would income information be made available in malpractice?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I had a one-year waiting period for anything but cleanings or exams when I signed up for Delta Dental last year. Hence the reason I'm just now getting the work I need done at half price (granted, probably half of an insurance-inflated price). I often wonder if it's worth the monthly cost, but I'm too much of a chicken to go to one of those "storefront" dentists or a university dental school for anything major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health