Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 24,744 times

Advertisements

I want to do a poll to see what is the average number of root canals a person have? I know I'm a freak because I have six on my front teeth due to an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM

14,198 posts, read 11,440,782 times
Just one, and I got it in the last couple of months (I'm 47). But I have a LOT of crowns. I have terrible teeth. I brush and floss more than anyone else I know, and I still get cavities.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 PM

74 posts, read 182,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just one, and I got it in the last couple of months (I'm 47). But I have a LOT of crowns. I have terrible teeth. I brush and floss more than anyone else I know, and I still get cavities.
It's probably genetics if you floss and brush regularly.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 PM

14,198 posts, read 11,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1984 View Post
It's probably genetics if you floss and brush regularly.
That's what I think. I know several people my age who have no cavities at all, and I just don't believe their dental hygiene is so much better than mine.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 PM

I had a lot of cavities after seeing the dentist recently and I need a root canal (but am opting not to get one due to financial issues). I am really embarrassed. Granted I didn't floss enough so it's my own fault. I also didn't eat dairy (just took supplements) for a few years so maybe that didn't help with my enamel? I don't know. My dentist filled my upper premolars and first molar last month and they still have a very dull/not necessarily painful ache, even after he "adjusted" the fillings two days since I assumed they were too high. Now I am using an oral flosser, an electric toothbrush, eat more dairy along with taking my usual calcium supplements, and I use a fluoride rinse at night (the bottle says 1x a day, but I probably should use it 2x knowing my luck). My parents don't have great teeth either so it could be a battle I simply won't win. Some people are just blessed naturally when it comes to teeth (straight without braces, painless wisdom teeth, strong enamel) and I envy them so much right now.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times
63 years old, two root canals, still have all of my teeth and hope to keep it that way.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 PM

924 posts, read 745,052 times
I've had three root canals done......part of it's because I had such a horrific fear of the dentist that I hadn't been in a little over ten years. (and meanwhile, it wasn't as though I was not brushing my teeth or flossing)

But it's also partly due to crappy genetics.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,711,812 times
None; I've never had a cavity.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
None; I've never had a cavity.
But have you had any kind of dental issues? If not, you're one of the lucky ones.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 11,960 times
Both my parents have dental problems so I don't know if it's possible to have genetically bad teeth. I'm 53 and have a very bad case of bruxism (grinding and clenching) which has gone on since my mid 20s that I know of. Eight years ago I had chemo for breast cancer. I don't know how many Root Canals (RC) I had prior to chemo but between that and the bruxism I'm having dental restoration. But they can't do a "full" restoration because I'm on meds that can make my jaw bone rot if it has any trauma. So along with getting crowns and build-ups on most of my teeth I've now had a RC on I think all but two of my molars. I'm going to schedule one for the top left canine and hope that will be the end of them. It isn't cancer that makes you sick, it's the treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health