Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You can think for yourself all you want, but that doesn't mean you're an expert on anything unless you have real knowledge and real training on the subject.

For instance, did you know that boiled chicken feathers mixed with cinnamon and moss makes a very healthy and natural tea that can cure arthritis, constipation, headache, tooth decay, and stomachache? It does. I know this because my great-grandmother told my grandmother, who told my mother, my neighbor swears it cured her husband's toenail fungus, and a woman online said she gives two drops of boiled chicken feather tea to her kids every day, and they get straight A's in school. It truly is a miracle cure, trust me on this one.
Didn't know the chicken feather cure for arthritis...and I don't have access to chicken feathers. But I do believe in the old time remedies and use them first and foremost before I'd run for a drug. On the toenail fungus, one can dip their fungal toe in clorex a couple times a day and it can get rid of the fungus...we've digressed. But I've learned something new...

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-25-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, "we the people" are not generally educated on matters such as dentistry and medicine, and people were not doing ok with remedies from the universe.

Here is what the CDC has to say about the decrease in mortality between 1935 and 2010

While the overall risk of mortality decreased 60 percent over this 75-year period, there were fluctuations in the rate of decline most likely associated with changes in the broader environment. For example, the 29 percent decline in age-adjusted mortality in the earlier period from 1935 to 1954 was probably influenced by the introduction of various drugs such as antibiotics (2). In contrast, in the period 1955 to 1968, age-adjusted death rates decreased by only 2 percent, influenced in part by increases in diseases linked to tobacco use such as cancer and chronic lower respiratory diseases (3,4). In the most recent period from 1969 to 2010, significant progress in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiovascular diseases (5) likely contributed to the 41 percent decline in age-adjusted mortality despite cancer continuing to increase from 1969 to 1990 and chronic lower respiratory diseases continuing to increase from 1969 to 1998.
Oh, I've done my share of drugs and dental work and NOW doing it on my own terms and it's working good for me NOW. My parents lived into their 90's and used a lot of old time remedies and hardly any drugs in their long lives. I know we can quote stats till we're blue in the face. Stats do lie, read Doctoring Data, everyone has their own sets of different stats.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Dentists are full of crap because they won't let me see them. Well they will but all they do is look at them. I don't know why dental insurance isn't a thing when you don't have a job. Aren't teeth important too?

As much as I'm VERY anti-medicine and everyone knows this by now, I do think that I could really use the dentist. Since using the Tom's toothpaste and the mechanical flosser they are better but they still hurt on occasion. I don't know if a professional cleaning would help but it certainly didn't hurt in the past. The dentist usually said my teeth looked good..just needed braces. I'd get a few cavities and they fixed them. I know there is a sliding scale but I can't even pay installments as I am lucky to not get evicted at the current moment or have my internet/TV/phone cut out. I did get a pack of supposedly good manual toothbrushes and hoping that helps my teeth be healthier but that still leaves the issue of my crooked teeth. I may not even need my teeth cleaned because as I say they only hurt on occasion but I definitely do need them straightened somehow. I don't know how they're going to stay healthy if they're always aligned like that. Also even if I do need braces I'm insecure about getting the regular kind. I hope that the fact I didn't qualify for Invisalign was just one dentist's opinion because I don't see how I'd get used to conventional braces. I feel too old for them as well.

There was something that the dentist said that was crap though..that is that my teeth would not contribute to gastritis. Of course as I said a lot of my problem was emotional stress (and NSAIDs as well as other conventional medicines) but it would make sense that the state of your teeth can contribute to digestive issues as well. If my teeth are crooked I may not have chewed my food well enough and if I'm not as good with chewing food of course I'm going to eventually have a lot of gunk in my stomach causing inflammation. Duh! I don't know what he is talking about. This should be common sense.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Dentists are full of crap because they won't let me see them. Well they will but all they do is look at them. I don't know why dental insurance isn't a thing when you don't have a job. Aren't teeth important too?

As much as I'm VERY anti-medicine and everyone knows this by now, I do think that I could really use the dentist. Since using the Tom's toothpaste and the mechanical flosser they are better but they still hurt on occasion. I don't know if a professional cleaning would help but it certainly didn't hurt in the past. The dentist usually said my teeth looked good..just needed braces. I'd get a few cavities and they fixed them. I know there is a sliding scale but I can't even pay installments as I am lucky to not get evicted at the current moment or have my internet/TV/phone cut out. I did get a pack of supposedly good manual toothbrushes and hoping that helps my teeth be healthier but that still leaves the issue of my crooked teeth. I may not even need my teeth cleaned because as I say they only hurt on occasion but I definitely do need them straightened somehow. I don't know how they're going to stay healthy if they're always aligned like that. Also even if I do need braces I'm insecure about getting the regular kind. I hope that the fact I didn't qualify for Invisalign was just one dentist's opinion because I don't see how I'd get used to conventional braces. I feel too old for them as well.

There was something that the dentist said that was crap though..that is that my teeth would not contribute to gastritis. Of course as I said a lot of my problem was emotional stress (and NSAIDs as well as other conventional medicines) but it would make sense that the state of your teeth can contribute to digestive issues as well. If my teeth are crooked I may not have chewed my food well enough and if I'm not as good with chewing food of course I'm going to eventually have a lot of gunk in my stomach causing inflammation. Duh! I don't know what he is talking about. This should be common sense.
I am not sure what you mean by "my teeth hurt on occasion" if they ache you need to see a dentist, if they hurt when you eat or drink something cold then buy some Sensodyne toothpaste. I'm sure that even with crooked teeth your food is getting chewed just fine, and if it isn't your stomach knows how to deal with that. Try calling dental schools or dental hygienist schools and see if they do free cleanings, some do.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:40 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
I haven't been to see a dentist for around 42/43 years. The last time I went, I was told that I needed four fillings - within six months all the fillings had fallen out. I thought, "What a waste of money," and never made another appointment. I still have all my own teeth, have never once had a problem with them since.

Dentists will invariably find something wrong with your teeth, then they can make money out of you.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I haven't been to see a dentist for around 42/43 years. The last time I went, I was told that I needed four fillings - within six months all the fillings had fallen out. I thought, "What a waste of money," and never made another appointment. I still have all my own teeth, have never once had a problem with them since.

Dentists will invariably find something wrong with your teeth, then they can make money out of you.
Hmmm...then my ears must have been clogged with wax when past dentists have told me I didn't need anything done. I have one tooth with a "watch" on it....hasn't changed or been fussed with for years.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I've had dentists tell me that I don't need work done and I've had dentists tell me I need work done, except for a bad experience at a corporate dental clinic where they have turned upselling into a fine art I've never felt like a dentist was lying to me about work that I should have done.

I don't know why dentists get this bum rap but doctors seem immune to criticism when they suggest a particular treatment

Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Guess we are lucky, have been going to this dentist for many years and trust him.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post

Well, I sure can't beat your years, for me it's about 7 yrs since I went to a dentist. And I believe due to taking to brushing with Coconut Oil toothpaste and the supplements I take which protect my gums. But I've had my share of dental work for years of my life.

I don't have a lot of faith in the whole medical community and have been doing as much as my own healing and prevention as I know how for about 25 yrs. Sickness is a big business.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I really think dentistry is more about making money these days than helping people. My experiences have not been good and many things in the past tell me I have placed my trust in crooked individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health