Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Implants can be great; however there is no guarantee with them either, and they are expensive. My husband had one done last year, and unfortunately developed an infection and bone loss. A few weeks ago he had to go to periodontist and have it cleaned and some bone grafted in. Lots of $$ on top of the $$$ he spent on the implant. He kind of wishes he had not done anything, it was one missing tooth in a spot that doesn't show.

My own implants are OK, but I did have problems with one of them not integrating well and giving me trouble now and then. Seems to be Ok now, knock on wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Obviously no medical/dental treatment in the human body is guaranteed to work. But statistically-speaking, when it comes to single tooth replacement, one dental implant has a higher success rate, longer lifespan, and is (in the long run) more cost-effective than a 3-unit bridge.

There are many ways to replace missing teeth. Weigh all the pros and cons with your dentist, then choose the best treatment for you based on your own wants, needs, finances, etc.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I have the same bridge you need: both front teeth, incisor, and canine. I've had it for about five years and it's fine. I can eat like I couldn't without it. Apparently I had short roots in the front and it's like dominoes. The first one I got an implant and that was fine, too. Healed well, tooth looks perfect, works perfect, solid as granite. The next tooth to go couldn't be its neighbor, no such luck, but the one beyond that - so implant, OK tooth, goner, right in front. I decided on the bridge, was given a ten year estimate. I can bite apples and eat steak, so I have no complaints (other than the exorbitant cost and no dental insurance). When it goes, God help me, I've no clue what I'll do, but - get ready, it's lame - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. ha ha ha

I also hated losing those other teeth but I don't notice it much if you're worried about it being horrible or impossible to get used to or dysfunctional or anything. It was done well and it's just fine for as long as it lasts.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:08 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,286,950 times
I just want to feel good about the fact that an implant is risky and unaffordable for me, because I'd rather get an implant and just can't. Not real keen on grinding down perfectly good teeth either but I'm also bloody sick of wearing this blasted flipper for almost 2 years now. So I'm just trying to get comfortable with the fact that for me, the best option is actually the 2nd best option.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 AM

It's not the second best option if they're telling you going in that the implant would have a high possibility of failure.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
I have two bridges, one each side on the lower jaw. I had them done in 1991. Both are still doing well. I keep them clean and make sure the dentist looks at my xrays every year to make sure there is no tooth decay associated with them. I do have some gum recession issues around them. One tooth has extensive gum recession but some periodontal treatment has it under control.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:41 PM

Well I got my Mexican bridge. It was not without adventure, which is why I call my trips to Mexico "Adventure Dentistry".
The first bridge came back and I did not like the color at all. It was not the color I chose. I said no, this won't work, and they were very happy to make it right. I had to go back a 3rd time, but the 2nd bridge was much better. I wouldn't call it perfect but I'm not sure perfect exists. Except perhaps in bright sunlight I dont think anyone would know its a bridge. It still feels like a slab of ceramic and metal instead of 3 individul teeth when I chew, but it is a slab of metal and ceramic. I'm still getting used to that sensation but I will.

I'm still finding it a challenge to clean but I'm getting better at it. The real beeyotch is that for 2 years I took my flipper out while I ate, so I never had a right front tooth during meals. Now that I do, I'm ruthlessly ravaging my lower lip with the "new" tooth which isn't used to having that tooth there when I eat. Argggh! Owww. But eventualy I suppose I'll chew off enough of my own flesh during meals that it won't happen anymore.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:31 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well I got my Mexican bridge. It was not without adventure, which is why I call my trips to Mexico "Adventure Dentistry".
The first bridge came back and I did not like the color at all. It was not the color I chose. I said no, this won't work, and they were very happy to make it right. I had to go back a 3rd time, but the 2nd bridge was much better. I wouldn't call it perfect but I'm not sure perfect exists. Except perhaps in bright sunlight I dont think anyone would know its a bridge. It still feels like a slab of ceramic and metal instead of 3 individul teeth when I chew, but it is a slab of metal and ceramic. I'm still getting used to that sensation but I will.

I'm still finding it a challenge to clean but I'm getting better at it. The real beeyotch is that for 2 years I took my flipper out while I ate, so I never had a right front tooth during meals. Now that I do, I'm ruthlessly ravaging my lower lip with the "new" tooth which isn't used to having that tooth there when I eat. Argggh! Owww. But eventualy I suppose I'll chew off enough of my own flesh during meals that it won't happen anymore.
Don't worry, it can take a long time to get used to a bridge. I have a very large one, basically the entire upper jaw has been reconstructed. It took me forever to get used to, it felt huge in my mouth, my bite was different, and chewing felt strange. But like everything, with time I got used to it. Just hoping to keep it now, because I don't want to have to do anything more.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM

I like it better than the flipper, that's for sure. Just wish I'd stop taking bites out of my inner lower lip...

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 PM

I LOVED my flipper. It was so low tech and I didn't have to go broke or give up any teeth.

Was the Mexican bridge more affordable? You're brave to have gone that route and I'm really curious about it.

I'm sure the lip issue will resolve, one way or the other, and it'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health