Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use an ELECTRIC or CONVENTIONAL tooth brush?
I use an ELECTRIC tooth brush 14 63.64%
I use a CONVENTIONAL tooth brush 7 31.82%
Brushing teeth? No thanks, life is short 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Recently TV ads increasingly seem to push electric tooth brushes, but somehow I don't like them. I tried one, but just couldn't handle it. The head was so small, I felt that either it took me ages to treat all teeth or that I had missed many spots (one also has to be more acrobatic because of the angles).

There is one TV ad where they show a little demonstration of how it works, but in my view in real life the bristles must behave very differently in terms of physics. They show how the person presses the round head right onto the top of his tooth (one of them, that is ) and the outer bristles kind of embrace the tooth, but that is basically impossible, they would bend to the side. Not to mention the fact that the center bristles would prevent pressing the brush down anyway.

I still clean my teeth with a conventional brush (always a soft one, my dentist told me never to use hard brushes) and I stick to the old recommendation, i.e. brushing from red to white after a slight short horizontal movement. With the electric one that recommendation no longer seems to apply, it basically brushes in a circular motion while I read that teeth don't like horizontal brushing at all (which is part of circular), nor do the gums.

The replacement heads for electric brushes also seem clearly more expensive, one becomes dependent on the replacement brushes from the manufacturer of the device. It's a bit like with shavers or printers, where the consumables are the real business

So, which do you use? What's your experience?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I tried an electric one for awhile, didn't like it for the EXACT reasons you mentioned. Besides, I have a water-pik that already takes up room in my teensy bathroom, and for something electric I would rather have that appliance.

I use a very soft natural bristle brush along with an "end tuft" brush. Between the two, I do a very thorough job. My husband likes his Sonic Care brush, however.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:09 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
I use both, but my electric one more often. It's not quite as complicated as it seems to use (acrobatics and all, lol). It actually seems to get my teeth much cleaner with much less effort. I've had dentists in the past who have recommended them as well.

Every now and then the charge runs down and while it's recharging (when I forget to plug it in) I use a regular brush.

And yes, the replacement brush heads are the biggest cost. This one I'm using now was on clearance when I bought it, and so where the heads. I ended up buying nearly 3 years of replacement heads at the same time. When they are gone, I'll likely just buy another brush.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Oh, I forgot the option to use both Never thought of that...

3 years? How many did you buy, i.e. how long does such a brush head last? A normal brush lasts 2 months or so.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I use both, plus floss, of course.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times
I use a Oral-b that I've had for many years. They make a different, dual-action, style of brush that may suit you better. It has the round piece in the front and a small rectangular piece in back that moves back and forth parallel to the handle. I've never used just the round head so I can't compare.

You may want to look at some of the battery operated ones and try those first. Much cheaper as a trial. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Conventional vs electric tooth brushes-clean_toothbursh_4_grande.jpg  

Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Oh, I forgot the option to use both Never thought of that...

3 years? How many did you buy, i.e. how long does such a brush head last? A normal brush lasts 2 months or so.

I think it was 3 5 packs, so 15.

I probably don't change them as often as I should.

I use an Oral B one like the previous poster mentioned.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
I've been using a Phillip Sonicare electric toothbrush for over 10 years now, I would never go back to a conventional one unless that was my only option, like trekking through the Himalayas in Nepal!

I love the electric toothbrush, and never had any issues, except when the rechargeable battery eventually dies. Like every rechargeable lithium ion battery, it will eventually not be able to charge after X amount of charges. I think my brush lasted over 5 years?, then I decided to send it back to Phillip to get the battery replaced, and they did it for free. I don't know if that was a mistake or if they even do that anymore.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
^^^^^
I've been using Sonicare for more than 20 years, and practically since the day it first came to market. Best powered toothbrush ever!

Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
I use a reg toothbrush (Not electric)

What bothers me is lately I havent been able to find any good THICK toothbrushes like I used to be able to... THEY ARE SKINNIER AND HARDER TO GRAB!!!!! (Pieces of garbage)

Not as easy for me to brush my teeth with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health