Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM

50 posts, read 45,439 times

Advertisements

I had two teeth pulled out due to an infection and they were both side by side and have had root canals done on them in the past, so pulling them out was the best option. After healing up, I went in to get some options on repairing that area and was told about bridges and implants. So, I had a full check up along with a quote for all the work needed. For all the work I need, I was given a quote of around $14,000 including the bridge. If I wanted implants instead, I'd have to pay close to $18,000... On top of all that, I was told I had periodontal disease and that I'd need to get a check up every three months. I asked about some kind of payment option and they calculated that, depending on which procedures I had done, I could pay up to $800 a month. So I never went back and now I'm trying to explore other options because, realistically, I cannot afford that and I can't imagine a lot of other people can either.

Just to give a quick run down of my dental history. By the time I was in high school, I had 5 root canals/caps, many fillings, and even a gum graft (if that's what it's called). No one else in my family had anywhere near the issues I had, so I don't know what my deal is. But now that I have periodontal disease, I'm a little worried because I can't afford that kind of work now and in order for them to be able to put me on a routine maintenance, I'd have to have all my teeth fixed.

I can't imagine getting quotes from other dentists will make that much of a difference price wise, so what other options are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
That's a horrible amount of money. The only way I can afford dental is by using Care Credit, a cc that you charge the expenses to. If you pay it off on time, there is absolutely zero interest. But I haven't had to use it for the amount of money you'd be putting on it.

If you have a dental school in your area, try them. It takes a long time to get all the work done but it's pretty cheap. They can work out a plan of treatment for you and get you started.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Where I live there are also options to help people with low income get dental work. Unfortunately I think it probably only covers the most basic of care. I feel your pain, OP. I have had a lifetime of extensive and expensive dental work and I need more now. I don't have the money for it, it would cost much more than what you need. There don't seem to be many good options for people like like us.

Also, I just had a lot of expensive work done 6 years ago, and it (bridge) failed almost immediately. It is almost a waste of money to do work like this, it doesn't last very long. At this point I am going to go as long as I can with what I have.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's a horrible amount of money. The only way I can afford dental is by using Care Credit, a cc that you charge the expenses to. If you pay it off on time, there is absolutely zero interest. But I haven't had to use it for the amount of money you'd be putting on it.

If you have a dental school in your area, try them. It takes a long time to get all the work done but it's pretty cheap. They can work out a plan of treatment for you and get you started.
( last paragraph).......my sister recommended University of Minnesota Dental School when I needed extractions and dentures.
I applied, got accepted and was told by other patients that it was very slow, but they only charged about 60%

After the 4th visit( 205 mile round trip each time) I finally had my x-rays done and got the written estimate.............$8,900.......EXACTLY the same quote as from a dental clinic in Big Lake MN.

I found a dental clinic in Arkansas with two dentists and had all my extractions,2 wisdom teeth extracted, top of the line dentures, and 5 visits to re-align until hard liner at 6 months.
Total.............$3,550

They look great, work great, feel great and I had a dentist do the work for $3,550 instead of students doing the work for $8,900.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM

247 posts, read 254,013 times
I think you need to see another dentist as those prices seem very extreme unless there is lot that this story is missing

Old 02-21-2017, 04:05 PM

50 posts, read 45,439 times
Just to clarify, those prices aren't just for the bridge / implants. There is other worked involved. I have the quote laying around somewhere in my house but, its for 2 more root canals, and to install a crown on a tooth that used to have one before it got loose and came off. They tried putting whatever adhesive they had but, it kept coming off, so I left it off -_-

I never heard of going the dental school route. I might give them a try and see what they charge. My issue seem a little more involved, so time wise, I may need something done sooner. I'll ask around and give it a shot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Where I live there are also options to help people with low income get dental work. Unfortunately I think it probably only covers the most basic of care. I feel your pain, OP. I have had a lifetime of extensive and expensive dental work and I need more now. I don't have the money for it, it would cost much more than what you need. There don't seem to be many good options for people like like us.

Also, I just had a lot of expensive work done 6 years ago, and it (bridge) failed almost immediately. It is almost a waste of money to do work like this, it doesn't last very long. At this point I am going to go as long as I can with what I have.

As much as I'd like to hold off on this, I really need to get something done. After reading about periodontal disease for the first time, I'd hate for any degradation to my jaw bone or even worse. Also for the first time, I'm seeing a rapid spread of tartar on all of my bottom teeth. I don't smoke and I've always brushed at least twice a day, occasionally floss, and use mouth wash. Not sure if this is part of the disease or what but, its not looking good. I definitely don't want to go the bridge route. Implants, as far as I know, are closer to the real thing and are more long term

While searching around the net for options, I came across a discussion where people talked about committing a crime small enough to land you in jail for a couple of days or something like that. Apparently, if you do that, all you have to do is complain about some teeth pain and they take care of you on taxpayer money. So it got me thinking...

Old 02-21-2017, 05:36 PM

427 posts, read 440,162 times
Oh please, do not go to jail for dental work! If in urgent need go to a public hospital, if needed, antibiotics will be prescribed or given. Then get referrals to a dental college or other resource. Please, jail is never a place for any type of medical/dental/mental health/ or other care. Additionally, you would have the extra pressures and costs of being in the criminal justice system. Think please, before you act.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyC View Post
Oh please, do not go to jail for dental work! If in urgent need go to a public hospital, if needed, antibiotics will be prescribed or given. Then get referrals to a dental college or other resource. Please, jail is never a place for any type of medical/dental/mental health/ or other care. Additionally, you would have the extra pressures and costs of being in the criminal justice system. Think please, before you act.
I think he was joking.

I've gone the dental school route and it was not a good experience. Yet everyone else in the waiting room that I talked to said they were having great experiences. I just got stuck with a bad dental student. Also, if you do go, make sure you know exactly what they're going to do. And pay attention and don't let them do anything that you didn't agree to or don't understand. I wish I had just gone home the day the student dentist told me he was going to do such and such because he couldn't seem to find his dental teacher.

I only went in to get a crown replaced yet they talked me into doing something else instead. I think the student also did that scraping thing (that you will need for the periodontal disease) when I didn't even need it. I got a bad guy who didn't communicate, just sort of mumbled, and my experience wasn't too good.

But most people had better students and great experiences.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
I would hope prisoners are not eligible for free dental care when Veterans are not.

I am eligible for VA medical care and very grateful for the VA Choice program that allowsed me to have a hip replacement in 2014, the other hip replaced in 2015, and a complicated hernia surgery in 2016.

All paid for by the VA and done in a newer civilian hospital 70 miles away.

However, when I inquired about getting dentures in 2010,I was told unless I had a service disability ,dental was not available.

I'm not complaining as those 3 surgeries meant a lot.

Thank you VA and thank you VA Choice program !

Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Are you in a position to go into Mexico for dental treatment? Not sure where you are located, but many people do this.

Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I – Clarifying Myths & Facts

U.S. seniors head to Mexico for cheaper dental care - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health