Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times

Advertisements

I recently had a molar extracted and am going to be getting an implant in 3 months or so.

However, ANON, I noticed you said they take a mold of your tooth BEFORE extraction. Well no mold was ever made of my tooth and now it's gone. Will that be a problem?? Can they still make an implant without the extracted tooth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 21,220 times
If I decide to get a bridge, can I have it removed in the future and replaced with an implant and new crowns on the adjacent teeth?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom203 View Post
If I decide to get a bridge, can I have it removed in the future and replaced with an implant and new crowns on the adjacent teeth?
Yes, but that would be a pretty expensive choice to make. Bridges are intended to be permanent, barring complications (such as infections under the bridge, cavities in the remaining teeth - anything that would involve the need to remove the bridge, to get at whatever is underneath it).

If you're at the point where you haven't gotten a bridge yet, and are thinking about an implant, my personal suggestion would be to go the implant route as long as you can afford it.

Saving teeth used to be the -only- chance of "survival" for your mouth, before implants were developed and improved to their current quality and current proficiency of the oral surgeon doing the procedure. With the advent of implants, it's not -as- important to save the tooth, it's more important to fill that tooth's space in the gum with something that has an anchor. If that's a natural tooth, great. If it's an implant, that's fine too.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
My SIL's mom got a bridge, had a lot of trouble and went back and got an implant. He said she
was happy with the results. I decided to get an implant when I was asked which I wanted. Bone
loss meant a first surgery to ready it for the actual implant. That took about 4 months to heal, then
had the implant, now that's healing, scheduled to be checked again in June, then the tooth can be made.
A long, but hopefully permanent solution.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Is anyone familiar with the 1 day implant treatments? Permadontics is one procedure that's advertising heavily where I live.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom203 View Post
Is anyone familiar with the 1 day implant treatments? Permadontics is one procedure that's advertising heavily where I live.
Back in the first week of the month, you started a whole new thread asking about this. I answered, no one else did, so either no one else was familiar with them, or no one else had anything else to say. Here's the thread you started: Permadontics?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM

I hadn't seen your previous response, Thanks for the info.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,836 times
Have implants improved over the last 5 years?
How is the site evaulated prior to implant...... to reduce the risks in the upper jaw to the sinus cavity.
Who is best qualified to do the job..... cosmetic - general dentist, oral surgeon, pariodontist...?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM

129 posts, read 304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedlls View Post
Have implants improved over the last 5 years?
How is the site evaulated prior to implant...... to reduce the risks in the upper jaw to the sinus cavity.
Who is best qualified to do the job..... cosmetic - general dentist, oral surgeon, pariodontist...?

technology is always improving. newer, less expensive implants have come out. smaller ones as well.
usually you'd want to get a CAT scan of your mouth. the dr. can get down to the mm and measure distances between the sinus and where he wants to place the implant. implants come in all sizes. its pretty amazing what a trained surgeon can do.

as far as who to go to. stick with oral surgeon or periodontist. unless of course a general dentist has structured his practice around implants. we always tell people to ask their dentist/dr the following questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOi-RXHDBs

browse our youtube channel as well. for some reason i keep getting edited when i try to link pages from our website, so ill just stick to our youtube channel.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,619 times
Eighteen months ago I got a bridge which recently needed root canal on one tooth, and the dentist tells me that the other tooth will probably need root canal work soon. He also mentioned that the bridge would probably fail in about a year and that I would need another bridge that goes further down into the gum area next year. I am debating getting any more work done on this bridge and seeing an oral surgeon about implants. My dentist says that it is always better to go with your natural root rather than an implant which he says often fail. Any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health