Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,112 times

Advertisements

Were it not for the potential cost differences, implants would have driven dentures out of the marketplace by now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Your friend may have gotten what are called instant dentures. That is where they extract all the teeth, and then shove temporary dentures in right away. As the mouth heals the tissues shrink, and the dentures will not fit correctly. It takes approx 3 months for the mouth to heal, shrinking daily. He may just need to get them relined which will help greatly. If the dentist that fit him to begin with won't help him have him look for one who will. It isn't right that he should suffer like that. Google my dentures don't fit right to look for answers. Best regards.
My parents had dentures, they were horrible, they don't in any way compare with your own teeth. Mr. Stone expressed a view that all dental problems were best resolved with cheap dentures.
  • Because you have a hard piece of plastic (the denture) pressed against your delicate gum tissue, you will feel pain.
  • Dentures get loose as the bone and gum underneath shrinks and realigns.
  • Upper and lower dentures often make a clacking noise, which can be embarrassing to some people.
  • Food does not taste as good since your palate is covered by the upper denture.
  • Sore spots develop at different places as you adjust to wearing the dentures.
  • They can look very artificial.
  • They must be taken out for cleaning, and in some cases, possibly left out overnight to give the soft tissues of your palate rest from the trauma of a rubbing denture.
  • When your dentures are out, your face looks older as the point from your nose to your chin decreases in height.
  • A lower denture is very difficult to keep stable since there are no natural undercuts to the lower jaw.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/denta...-dentures.aspx

I have a friend who had almost all of her teeth but needed a lot of work done. Her dentist told her that the work would cost around $8,000 -$10,000 but it could be spread out over 2 years. She didn't want to spend that kind of money and said she would rather just be done with it so she had all of her teeth extracted and got dentures. She's had three sets of dentures made and has had problems with all of them. She's now looking into implant supported bridges (I think she said "all on four") Which will cost her $45,000 plus an unknown amount for bone grafting to support the implants. She said the $10,000 she saved by having her teeth pulled is turning out to be the most costly mistake she ever made

Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My parents had dentures, they were horrible, they don't in any way compare with your own teeth. Mr. Stone expressed a view that all dental problems were best resolved with cheap dentures.
  • Because you have a hard piece of plastic (the denture) pressed against your delicate gum tissue, you will feel pain.
  • Dentures get loose as the bone and gum underneath shrinks and realigns.
  • Upper and lower dentures often make a clacking noise, which can be embarrassing to some people.
  • Food does not taste as good since your palate is covered by the upper denture.
  • Sore spots develop at different places as you adjust to wearing the dentures.
  • They can look very artificial.
  • They must be taken out for cleaning, and in some cases, possibly left out overnight to give the soft tissues of your palate rest from the trauma of a rubbing denture.
  • When your dentures are out, your face looks older as the point from your nose to your chin decreases in height.
  • A lower denture is very difficult to keep stable since there are no natural undercuts to the lower jaw.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/denta...-dentures.aspx

I have a friend who had almost all of her teeth but needed a lot of work done. Her dentist told her that the work would cost around $8,000 -$10,000 but it could be spread out over 2 years. She didn't want to spend that kind of money and said she would rather just be done with it so she had all of her teeth extracted and got dentures. She's had three sets of dentures made and has had problems with all of them. She's now looking into implant supported bridges (I think she said "all on four") Which will cost her $45,000 plus an unknown amount for bone grafting to support the implants. She said the $10,000 she saved by having her teeth pulled is turning out to be the most costly mistake she ever made
For the most part I agree with your post. I think clacking noise from dentures might often be due to the dentures being too loose. Loose dentures are often going to clack when speaking. In addition, loose dentures can make chewing and swallowing food a bit difficult, not to mention that food particles can more easily get between the dentures and tissue. Using a good denture adhesive can help resolve a good part of that. I also think getting accustomed to adapting to the use of dentures can also help. Dentures are definitely not like natural teeth. Admittedly, both of those can be a hassle so some people don't want to bother with it.

Speaking with dentures can sound awkward for a while. Certain verbal sounds that we take for granted don't always seem to come out right. Some words require the tongue to make contact the palate. When the tongue touches a denture plate, it feels unnatural and not what you're used to doing. It takes time and practice to get those sounds to sound right.

I've had dentures now for close to two years. I can sometimes chew food without needing to apply an adhesive. But it doesn't always work like that. It depends on what I'm chewing. A couple of the biggest hassles for me in chewing food with dentures, is the need to chew on both sides of the dentures. If you chew too much on one side, the other side of the dentures can come loose, even when secured with an adhesive. Even the flavor of food is a bit different because an acrylic upper denture plate blocks some of the flavor and texture. When swallowing food, or even beverages, food doesn't more readily slide past the upper denture plate. It may be moist, but it's not like the moisture and softer tissues of the natural palate. When it comes to biting food with the front teeth, that can be a problem with the dentures coming loose at the back of the dentures. Dentures are not anchored to the bone.

With regard to the appearance of acrylic dentures, there are those that clearly look like false teeth. There's nothing natural about them at all, so they're low-cost utility dentures which are a slight improvement over no dentures at all. These days though, many acrylic dentures are more carefully made to come closer to looking a bit more natural.

I'd say the upper plate is generally more hassle than the lower plate. The reason being that although the upper plate includes covering the entire hard palate with suction helping hold them in place better, it's still a matter of fighting the curse of gravity. If the upper denture comes loose, it's going to drop down. Gravity isn't a major issue for the lower plate because there's nowhere for them to fall to. They're already seated on the gums. But you still need to use an adhesive to secure them to the gums. Another drawback to such dentures is that sticky adhesive. It's not so bad applying it, it's removing the adhesive from both the dentures, gums and palate, that's time consuming. I swish a bit of brandy around in my mouth to help loosen the adhesive a bit better to remove it from the gums and palate with a soft bristled toothbrush and a paper towel, along with another swish of brandy, to help remove stubborn bits. It's all part of the routine you have to deal with.

Although implant dentures might seem a bit more natural than typical dentures, they still aren't going to feel exactly the same as natural teeth. And then there's the higher cost of implant dentures. If cost isn't a major problem, then I'd say go for implant dentures. But that depends. Not everyone is suitable for implant dentures. I was given a quote for full upper and lower implant dentures. It was a mere [sarcastic] $20,000. $2000 per post with a total of 8 posts required ($16,000), and the cost of the dentures themselves at about $4000. If you opt for fancier denture material with a more natural look and feel, the price is higher. On the plus side for implant dentures, you don't need to use messy adhesives. You still do have to remove them though to clean underneath.

Thee biggest hassle for all types of dentures is the hype from offices claiming you can have dentures put in the same day as your extractions and you're good to go. Didn't work like that for me. Yes, the dentures were put in the same day (with gauze underneath), but when I took them out to change the gauze on the wounds, it was nearly impossible to put the dentures back in place due to some swelling. It was extremely painful. I went back in to the oral surgeon who then recommended to leave them out for a few weeks until the swelling went down. It took a number of return trips (fortunately at no extra cost) and 3 or 4 months before I began to feel more comfortable wearing the dentures. There were a few trips to pull out small bone fragments that were coming out of the wounds. A soft reline helped make it easier and less painful. I now have a hard reline and it's all okay and occasional grinding to smooth off rough spots and make the fit feel more comfortable.

Chewing on an apple or corn on the cob? No way, apart from cutting it up into smaller bite-sized pieces. I can eat more variety of foods now, but there are a lot of things I have to skip. Hard candies, taffy or gum? Nope. I can eat pizza once in a while, but only in smaller pieces and not the crust, unless I leave it in my mouth to soak up and soften from saliva. Steaks? Only in small soft bite-sized pieces.

Maybe there are other people who can do fine right from day one, but I'd guess that's an exceptional few. Even so, most oral surgeons will recommend a diet of liquids and very soft foods for a few weeks, then gradually work up to firmer foods later. And the so-called "immediate dentures", yes, they can be installed while you're still in the dental chair, but once you take them out, the swelling may prevent you from putting the back in without tearing at the skin and stitches. Ouch!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
For the most part I agree with your post. I think clacking noise from dentures might often be due to the dentures being too loose. Loose dentures are often going to clack when speaking. In addition, loose dentures can make chewing and swallowing food a bit difficult, not to mention that food particles can more easily get between the dentures and tissue. Using a good denture adhesive can help resolve a good part of that. I also think getting accustomed to adapting to the use of dentures can also help. Dentures are definitely not like natural teeth. Admittedly, both of those can be a hassle so some people don't want to bother with it.

Speaking with dentures can sound awkward for a while. Certain verbal sounds that we take for granted don't always seem to come out right. Some words require the tongue to make contact the palate. When the tongue touches a denture plate, it feels unnatural and not what you're used to doing. It takes time and practice to get those sounds to sound right.

I've had dentures now for close to two years. I can sometimes chew food without needing to apply an adhesive. But it doesn't always work like that. It depends on what I'm chewing. A couple of the biggest hassles for me in chewing food with dentures, is the need to chew on both sides of the dentures. If you chew too much on one side, the other side of the dentures can come loose, even when secured with an adhesive. Even the flavor of food is a bit different because an acrylic upper denture plate blocks some of the flavor and texture. When swallowing food, or even beverages, food doesn't more readily slide past the upper denture plate. It may be moist, but it's not like the moisture and softer tissues of the natural palate. When it comes to biting food with the front teeth, that can be a problem with the dentures coming loose at the back of the dentures. Dentures are not anchored to the bone.

With regard to the appearance of acrylic dentures, there are those that clearly look like false teeth. There's nothing natural about them at all, so they're low-cost utility dentures which are a slight improvement over no dentures at all. These days though, many acrylic dentures are more carefully made to come closer to looking a bit more natural.

I'd say the upper plate is generally more hassle than the lower plate. The reason being that although the upper plate includes covering the entire hard palate with suction helping hold them in place better, it's still a matter of fighting the curse of gravity. If the upper denture comes loose, it's going to drop down. Gravity isn't a major issue for the lower plate because there's nowhere for them to fall to. They're already seated on the gums. But you still need to use an adhesive to secure them to the gums. Another drawback to such dentures is that sticky adhesive. It's not so bad applying it, it's removing the adhesive from both the dentures, gums and palate, that's time consuming. I swish a bit of brandy around in my mouth to help loosen the adhesive a bit better to remove it from the gums and palate with a soft bristled toothbrush and a paper towel, along with another swish of brandy, to help remove stubborn bits. It's all part of the routine you have to deal with.

Although implant dentures might seem a bit more natural than typical dentures, they still aren't going to feel exactly the same as natural teeth. And then there's the higher cost of implant dentures. If cost isn't a major problem, then I'd say go for implant dentures. But that depends. Not everyone is suitable for implant dentures. I was given a quote for full upper and lower implant dentures. It was a mere [sarcastic] $20,000. $2000 per post with a total of 8 posts required ($16,000), and the cost of the dentures themselves at about $4000. If you opt for fancier denture material with a more natural look and feel, the price is higher. On the plus side for implant dentures, you don't need to use messy adhesives. You still do have to remove them though to clean underneath.

Thee biggest hassle for all types of dentures is the hype from offices claiming you can have dentures put in the same day as your extractions and you're good to go. Didn't work like that for me. Yes, the dentures were put in the same day (with gauze underneath), but when I took them out to change the gauze on the wounds, it was nearly impossible to put the dentures back in place due to some swelling. It was extremely painful. I went back in to the oral surgeon who then recommended to leave them out for a few weeks until the swelling went down. It took a number of return trips (fortunately at no extra cost) and 3 or 4 months before I began to feel more comfortable wearing the dentures. There were a few trips to pull out small bone fragments that were coming out of the wounds. A soft reline helped make it easier and less painful. I now have a hard reline and it's all okay and occasional grinding to smooth off rough spots and make the fit feel more comfortable.

Chewing on an apple or corn on the cob? No way, apart from cutting it up into smaller bite-sized pieces. I can eat more variety of foods now, but there are a lot of things I have to skip. Hard candies, taffy or gum? Nope. I can eat pizza once in a while, but only in smaller pieces and not the crust, unless I leave it in my mouth to soak up and soften from saliva. Steaks? Only in small soft bite-sized pieces.

Maybe there are other people who can do fine right from day one, but I'd guess that's an exceptional few. Even so, most oral surgeons will recommend a diet of liquids and very soft foods for a few weeks, then gradually work up to firmer foods later. And the so-called "immediate dentures", yes, they can be installed while you're still in the dental chair, but once you take them out, the swelling may prevent you from putting the back in without tearing at the skin and stitches. Ouch!
It sounds like you have adapted pretty well, my mother had an awful time, her lower ridge just sort of shrunk over time so it was nearly impossible for her to retain lower dentures, she always used adhesive but it never really kept the bottom plate in, and she kept getting sores in her mouth on top so she would go back to the dentist get the dentures relined or get a new set and a few months later she would have sores again. She was very thin her whole life, but she went from around 120 pounds to under 100 after wearing dentures for a few years. Watching that ordeal convinced me to do everything I could irregardless of cost or pain to keep all of my teeth.

I've read about the implant dentures and to be honest they sound awful my friend is going to get those so she sent me a link to read about people who have them and to be honest it sounds horribly painful and the whole process seems weird they sit above your gums, not down over them. Here's a link to the website that she gave me: https://www.realself.com/all-on-4

Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
It sounds like you have adapted pretty well, my mother had an awful time, her lower ridge just sort of shrunk over time so it was nearly impossible for her to retain lower dentures, she always used adhesive but it never really kept the bottom plate in, and she kept getting sores in her mouth on top so she would go back to the dentist get the dentures relined or get a new set and a few months later she would have sores again. She was very thin her whole life, but she went from around 120 pounds to under 100 after wearing dentures for a few years. Watching that ordeal convinced me to do everything I could irregardless of cost or pain to keep all of my teeth.

I've read about the implant dentures and to be honest they sound awful my friend is going to get those so she sent me a link to read about people who have them and to be honest it sounds horribly painful and the whole process seems weird they sit above your gums, not down over them. Here's a link to the website that she gave me: https://www.realself.com/all-on-4
Can you explain that? I am not sure I understand that they "sit above the gums". I looked at the website but guess it is still not clear. I am asking because I don't know that someday I may have to replace what I currently have (roundhouse upper bridge) and may need to explore alternatives.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Can you explain that? I am not sure I understand that they "sit above the gums". I looked at the website but guess it is still not clear. I am asking because I don't know that someday I may have to replace what I currently have (roundhouse upper bridge) and may need to explore alternatives.
It's hard to explain, these might help:
http://www.allondentalimplants.com/w...15/11/img8.jpg

http://www.dentalprices.com.au/wp-co...se_1_after.jpg

From what I understand you have to be really diligent in cleaning the implant posts and once or twice a year the dentist has to unscrew the dentures and make sure that there's no plaque on the posts.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
I'm sorry your mother had a terrible experience, but I can certainly understand what she was going through. I've adapted, sort of, but not as well as I'd prefer. I, too, developed sores, sometimes on the gums, sometimes on the cheek, and sometimes in back of the hard palate (the bony ridge-like bump on the roof of the mouth). The dentures were rubbing against tissue until it became raw and sore. Sometimes tiny bone fragments would emerge and need to be picked out with tweezers. It's not an unusual thing. In my case, incisions needed to be made to get a better hold on the tooth to be removed. In the process of extraction, tiny bits of tooth and bone can be left behind. Sometimes these fragments will simply dissolve and be absorbed by the body. But sometimes they somehow work their way up and emerge slightly near the top of the gum where the tooth was extracted.

The problems were resolved by going back in several times and having the areas in question of the denture causing soreness smoothed down and polished. It appears most of those kinds of issues are pretty well settled and done. It took perhaps 8 months or more to get things just right. I'm not sure if it was related to where and how the dentures were made, or what. Even though a cast is made, the finished product can have little flaws here and there, but in your mouth, they can feel like major problems. The inside of the mouth can be pretty sensitive. Regardless, things seem okay now, but I haven't completely adapted. I'm glad dentures are available for those who can benefit from them. But I still don't like them. They've never felt like they're a part of my mouth, which of course they aren't. But they are a form of prosthetic, in some ways, like artificial limbs.

Quote:
The process of implanting posts for implant dentures shouldn't be a painful procedure, unless a person opts for no sedation or numbing. Although I can imagine some discomfort after the numbing wears off. As I understand, for implant dentures, some of the posts, especially toward the front of the mouth, the posts are put in on an angle, which provides more support and strength to hold the dentures firmly in place. For a single tooth, I think those posts are usually straight in. People with very thin bone structure in back of the upper jaw risk damage to the bone surrounding the sinus cavities, which could cause potential infections.

The bones in my jaw are apparently good enough for implants with 4 posts on the top and 4 on the bottom. They use sort of a ball and socket arrangement to lock them in place. They snap in and snap out. The denture part itself sits snugly on top of the gums. The upside is that the upper denture has no plate covering the palate. You can taste food better. When they're locked in place, they hold the dentures firmly. No worries about clacking teeth or difficult sounds of words or having them fall out of your mouth at an inopportune time, and I believe you can eat an apple or corn on the cob. As I understand, brushing is done in the same fashion as standard dentures, depending on the materials used. There's no real need to have the dentures sort of wrap around the gums like standard dentures. As mentioned, the posts hold them snugly in place on top of the gums.

The only thing holding me back is the cost and most dental insurance companies won't help cover the expense. Apparently, dentures are considered non-essential. I suppose waiting probably varies from person to person. The bones that support the teeth will dissolve in time leaving a flat plate and the tissue of the gums become loose and wobbly (no bone for support). As I understand, that can take a good number of years, perhaps several decades. Regardless, the bone does dissolve when the teeth are gone. I was told, I'd likely have 3-5 years to decide before it starts getting risky, Having implants soon enough is a good idea because in most cases, the bone will not start the process of dissolving and will reform around the posts adding greater strength.

I've considered other options. For example, medical and dental costs in Thailand are very low in comparison to the US. But I've also found that implant dentures there are not much cheaper than the US. Having looked at a few prices over there, it mostly has to do with the cost of the posts. Another drawback to Asian implants is that you should have routine exams to make sure everything is going well. That's kind of hard to do if you don't live there. I think dental surgeons in the US can provide routine exams (more expensive), but if a post needs to be replaced, say the part of the post in the denture itself, you might be out of luck. It's hard to guess about standardization of some things. Ideally, it's probably best if both parts of the posts are from the same company.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The process of implanting posts for implant dentures shouldn't be a painful procedure, unless a person opts for no sedation or numbing. Although I can imagine some discomfort after the numbing wears off. As I understand, for implant dentures, some of the posts, especially toward the front of the mouth, the posts are put in on an angle, which provides more support and strength to hold the dentures firmly in place. For a single tooth, I think those posts are usually straight in. People with very thin bone structure in back of the upper jaw risk damage to the bone surrounding the sinus cavities, which could cause potential infections.

The bones in my jaw are apparently good enough for implants with 4 posts on the top and 4 on the bottom. They use sort of a ball and socket arrangement to lock them in place. They snap in and snap out. The denture part itself sits snugly on top of the gums. The upside is that the upper denture has no plate covering the palate. You can taste food better. When they're locked in place, they hold the dentures firmly. No worries about clacking teeth or difficult sounds of words or having them fall out of your mouth at an inopportune time, and I believe you can eat an apple or corn on the cob. As I understand, brushing is done in the same fashion as standard dentures, depending on the materials used. There's no real need to have the dentures sort of wrap around the gums like standard dentures. As mentioned, the posts hold them snugly in place on top of the gums.

The only thing holding me back is the cost and most dental insurance companies won't help cover the expense. Apparently, dentures are considered non-essential. I suppose waiting probably varies from person to person. The bones that support the teeth will dissolve in time leaving a flat plate and the tissue of the gums become loose and wobbly (no bone for support). As I understand, that can take a good number of years, perhaps several decades. Regardless, the bone does dissolve when the teeth are gone. I was told, I'd likely have 3-5 years to decide before it starts getting risky, Having implants soon enough is a good idea because in most cases, the bone will not start the process of dissolving and will reform around the posts adding greater strength.

I've considered other options. For example, medical and dental costs in Thailand are very low in comparison to the US. But I've also found that implant dentures there are not much cheaper than the US. Having looked at a few prices over there, it mostly has to do with the cost of the posts. Another drawback to Asian implants is that you should have routine exams to make sure everything is going well. That's kind of hard to do if you don't live there. I think dental surgeons in the US can provide routine exams (more expensive), but if a post needs to be replaced, say the part of the post in the denture itself, you might be out of luck. It's hard to guess about standardization of some things. Ideally, it's probably best if both parts of the posts are from the same company.
I've never had it done, I'm just going by comments on the site that I linked, realself.com. If you decide to have it done I wish you all the best & hope you will post about it on these forums.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
In the process of extraction, tiny bits of tooth and bone can be left behind. Sometimes these fragments will simply dissolve and be absorbed by the body. But sometimes they somehow work their way up and emerge slightly near the top of the gum where the tooth was extracted.

The only thing holding me back is the cost and most dental insurance companies won't help cover the expense.
I've considered other options. For example, medical and dental costs in Thailand are very low in comparison to the US. But I've also found that implant dentures there are not much cheaper than the US. Having looked at a few prices over there, it mostly has to do with the cost of the posts.
A recent x-ray showed what the periodontist said might be what you may be referring to which is root tips left behind. They decided not to investigate via incisions because it may have just been a small piece of bone.

What cost have you seen in Asia?
We are considering a 2 implant over denture. The implants will be angled to compensate for some of the increased overbite which has occurred over time despite having braces at a young age. The other option is a lower bridge on implants but we prefer the removable appliance for the lower.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Thailand is certainly cheaper, so is Mexico. Who will service/maintain the implants and how much does that cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health