Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm 70, I have a 3 unit bridge #30, 31, 32. I lost #31 at 25 and had a partial for about 10 years then got a bridge. About 10 years ago the bridge was replaced because the dentist said he was sure there was decay under it (there wasn't). Now my new dentist says that he's sure there's decay under it and wants to remove the bridge and suggested that I consider two crowns and an implant rather than another bridge. The only trouble I've ever had with the bridge is the inconvenience of having to use floss threaders to clean under it. The dentist I'm seeing doesn't do implants so I don't think he's recommending it to get more money.

So, should I even consider the idea of an implant, or just have a new bridge made? (I swear if there's no decay under it this time I'm gonna sock the dentist) At my age and given the length of time since I lost the tooth, is there even a chance that I would have enough bone there to support an implant?
How is he sure there is decay under it? Especially since you say you have never had trouble? I would want some kind of proof that it really needed redoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
How is he sure there is decay under it? Especially since you say you have never had trouble? I would want some kind of proof that it really needed redoing.
He said there is a shadow at the margin of the crown. About 10 years ago I had a toothache in the same tooth that this dentist is saying is decayed so the dentist (different dentist) removed the bridge and sent me to a periodontist who did a root canal and said there was no decay in the tooth and that the dentist should have had him do the root canal through the crown. I'm not a dentist so I don't know what to think. The last time I had the bridge replaced it cost me $2200 so I'm sure it will cost more than that now.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I wouldn't call it stupid, but whatever is sensible for you. For me and I'm almost 10 yrs older than you, it would be the least invasive and least expensive. Money is a factor in my life.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:00 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
Quote:
Often because feeling the margins of the crown where it meets the tooth, it feels soft while it should feel hard like a tooth. Decay under a crown can be difficult to find.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Often because feeling the margins of the crown where it meets the tooth, it feels soft while it should feel hard like a tooth. Decay under a crown can be difficult to find.
He didn't probe it I've never been to this dentist before, my other dentist moved out of state. This guy didn't look in my mouth, just at the x-rays and decided it was decayed by the shadow on the x-ray

Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He didn't probe it I've never been to this dentist before, my other dentist moved out of state. This guy didn't look in my mouth, just at the x-rays and decided it was decayed by the shadow on the x-ray
Maybe get a second opinion? I am not trying to dispute the dentist, but as you have found out, they CAN be wrong. Before you get into the expense of redoing or getting an implant you may want to feel assured it needs to be done. Redoing anything isn't a guaranteed success. I have no problems with my implant bridge, but my husband got an implant and it has been nothing but trouble. Developed infection and he had to spend as much on treating it as on the implant and it is STILL giving him trouble! He is actually saying he wants it removed. I am only mentioning this so you can consider all options. Again, I have implants and mine are fine; although one did become infected once (but is OK now) If you do need to redo, maybe another bridge would be best.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Maybe get a second opinion? I am not trying to dispute the dentist, but as you have found out, they CAN be wrong. Before you get into the expense of redoing or getting an implant you may want to feel assured it needs to be done. Redoing anything isn't a guaranteed success. I have no problems with my implant bridge, but my husband got an implant and it has been nothing but trouble. Developed infection and he had to spend as much on treating it as on the implant and it is STILL giving him trouble! He is actually saying he wants it removed. I am only mentioning this so you can consider all options. Again, I have implants and mine are fine; although one did become infected once (but is OK now) If you do need to redo, maybe another bridge would be best.

Good luck to you!
Thanks for your review and about your husband. I know one person in my circle of friends who has had implants and she did have problems with first dentist and even went as far as legal action against him,,,he was in her directory for her insurance or dental plan or whatever she had. She went thru months of pain and stress with her issue. I haven't talked to her recently about it now as I don't see a lot of these people anymore due to my knee stuff.

I never felt comfortable with metal posts going into my bones so I never had a curosity for implants for me even if I had the money.

Once done, surgery for sure can't be reversed and that can go for a lot of dental work too.

We all make our decisions. Good luck

Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Good luck to you!
You are right, and I think at this point it only makes sense to get a second opinion, especially since this will be the second time I had decay under this bridge and the last time after they removed the bridge there was no decay at all.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I had an implant and a standard bridge and I'd pick the implant. It feels set in cement while the bridge - well, it doesn't feel the same. However, an implant is a very invasive procedure and I had a long relationship with the dentist who recommended the implant surgeon to me. I felt major trust with both of them and I wouldn't even consider that big a procedure, or the expenditure of replacing a bridge, on the recommendation of just anybody. If I felt uncertain, as you seem to do, I'd either look for someone I felt I could trust, or I'd take my time making the decision, especially since you seem to doubt the decay based on your own experience.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I had an implant and a standard bridge and I'd pick the implant. It feels set in cement while the bridge - well, it doesn't feel the same. However, an implant is a very invasive procedure and I had a long relationship with the dentist who recommended the implant surgeon to me. I felt major trust with both of them and I wouldn't even consider that big a procedure, or the expenditure of replacing a bridge, on the recommendation of just anybody. If I felt uncertain, as you seem to do, I'd either look for someone I felt I could trust, or I'd take my time making the decision, especially since you seem to doubt the decay based on your own experience.
thanks for sharing your experience, what I hate most about the bridge is the constant problem of cleaning food from the space where there's no tooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health