Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
This is an interesting area in implant dentistry right now. A CAT (CBCT/CT) scan is not necessary by law for implant placement. Many implant surgeons use only 2D x-rays. Heck, when I did my specialty residency we only used CT scans on rare occasions and that was less than 10 years ago.

However, in the past 7 years or so, there has been tremendous advancements in the field of 3D imaging and computer guided implant surgery. This has been partially brought about by the availability of affordable CT scan machines for implant surgeons to purchase for their offices (still 6 figure cost though) and the advancement in virtual implant planning software. While not yet the "standard of care", more and more implant surgeons are planning implants with the aid of CT scans. I take a CT scan for every implant case. The majority of my implant surgeries these days are guided - we have a 3D printer in the office.

The benefits of CT scans are many - you will get a 3D visual of the area in question including bone density, bone volume, location of nerves/arteries, and aforementioned sinus height, to name a few.
This is a good summary and I agree with every word. I also take a CT for every implant. There are numerous times when this has helped me to avoid "surprises" and less than ideal outcomes. These dental CT scanners can be focused down to small areas with radiation dosages that are often 5% of a hospital CT scan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is a good summary and I agree with every word. I also take a CT for every implant. There are numerous times when this has helped me to avoid "surprises" and less than ideal outcomes. These dental CT scanners can be focused down to small areas with radiation dosages that are often 5% of a hospital CT scan.
When did they start doing CT scans for root canals? The last root canal I had was probably 5 or 6 years ago but I never had a CT scan. My son told me that he just called to make an appointment for one and the endodontists office told him that the consultation was free but to bring $175 for the CT scan

Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When did they start doing CT scans for root canals? The last root canal I had was probably 5 or 6 years ago but I never had a CT scan. My son told me that he just called to make an appointment for one and the endodontists office told him that the consultation was free but to bring $175 for the CT scan
The endodontist I refer to has a CT machine in her office - since at least 2013. CTs are not just for implants - they have done wonders in the field of endodontics as well. $175 is a good price. I charge $250-350. Most likely they are using a CT scan machine with a limited field of view (FOV) that focuses on just one tooth/area. Mine will let you see the entire mouth and surrounding areas. However, I'm doing implants and need to see everything - an endodontist usually only needs to see one tooth/quadrant.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The endodontist I refer to has a CT machine in her office - since at least 2013. CTs are not just for implants - they have done wonders in the field of endodontics as well. $175 is a good price. I charge $250-350. Most likely they are using a CT scan machine with a limited field of view (FOV) that focuses on just one tooth/area. Mine will let you see the entire mouth and surrounding areas. However, I'm doing implants and need to see everything - an endodontist usually only needs to see one tooth/quadrant.
Imagine that! I had no idea. Sounds like they might be using what you described, this is from the website of the endodontist he is seeing:

3D CT Scan Imaging:

Our practice is one of only a few in the greater Sacramento area utilizing state-of-the-art, small volume cone-beam CT (computed tomography) technology that provides highly accurate, 3-D radiographic images for the diagnosis and treatment of endodontic disease. This allows three-dimensional visualization of teeth, bone, sinuses and surrounding structures, enabling a level of anatomical accuracy and patient care not possible with 2-D technologies (regular dental x-rays). With the addition of cone-beam CT technology to our office, we can offer faster, more accurate, more successful diagnosis and treatment.

Endodontic FAQ John F. Nelson, DDS, Sacramento CA

Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
A common reason for failure of root canals is that a canal is missed. Not every tooth in every human has the same number of canals. The dentist looks around and finds 3 canals but does not find the 4th canal because it was calcified, too small to see with the naked eye, or various reasons. A CT scan can let the dentist know before he gets in there how many canals to look for.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:21 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
This is an interesting area in implant dentistry right now. A CAT (CBCT/CT) scan is not necessary by law for implant placement. Many implant surgeons use only 2D x-rays. Heck, when I did my specialty residency we only used CT scans on rare occasions and that was less than 10 years ago.

However, in the past 7 years or so, there has been tremendous advancements in the field of 3D imaging and computer guided implant surgery. This has been partially brought about by the availability of affordable CT scan machines for implant surgeons to purchase for their offices (still 6 figure cost though) and the advancement in virtual implant planning software. While not yet the "standard of care", more and more implant surgeons are planning implants with the aid of CT scans. I take a CT scan for every implant case. The majority of my implant surgeries these days are guided - we have a 3D printer in the office.

The benefits of CT scans are many - you will get a 3D visual of the area in question including bone density, bone volume, location of nerves/arteries, and aforementioned sinus height, to name a few.
I have a question that is related to this discussion thread - don't mean to hi-jack, just looking for some insights.

My 22 year old son had a bicycle accident this week and there are 6 damaged front teeth. The top two front teeth were snapped off exposing pulp. He was seen by his dentist the following morning and the recommendation is root canal and cap. I'm taking him for a second opinion this coming week to explore other options.

His dentist has the position that it's better to keep what is left of the tooth and work with it. My question is whether it is better to have implants at this time with the hope that it will be a life long permanent solution. I would like to avoid the situation where he will face a lifetime of various dental solutions to address the problem. Cost is a factor in the sense that he is currently covered under dental benefits from both parents, and we don't know what type of coverage he will have going forward.

Regarding gums, will they recede at a faster rate with implants or caps, or will it make no difference?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
What's 'guided mean'? My new dentist was talking about implants and mentioned that. I googled it and can't quite figure it out, the thing I saw on youtube was a clear plastic thing like a night guard that fits over your teeth and has a hole that they drill through, is that what you use? Do you make that on your 3d printer? How does it stay in your mouth? What happens if you cough or sneeze or something, will it move and cause them to drill the hole in the wrong place?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:59 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What's 'guided mean'? My new dentist was talking about implants and mentioned that. I googled it and can't quite figure it out, the thing I saw on youtube was a clear plastic thing like a night guard that fits over your teeth and has a hole that they drill through, is that what you use? Do you make that on your 3d printer? How does it stay in your mouth? What happens if you cough or sneeze or something, will it move and cause them to drill the hole in the wrong place?
Guided means that the implant position was virtually planned using a specific software. A surgical guide is then fabricated that allows the surgeon to place the implant in the same intraoral position as was planned in the virtual surgery. There are many types of guides and they can be secured in many different ways.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Guided means that the implant position was virtually planned using a specific software. A surgical guide is then fabricated that allows the surgeon to place the implant in the same intraoral position as was planned in the virtual surgery. There are many types of guides and they can be secured in many different ways.
Thanks! Sounds like it's a good thing for a dentist to use that rather than just guessing where to drill.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Not true at all. Tons of people get implants this way. Bone grafting/sinus lifting are VERY predictable procedures when done correctly. They can also be done very conservatively. Speaking as a dentist who has seen/done tons of implants/bone grafts/bridges, if I needed and implant and sinus lift versus grinding down my other teeth for a bridge, I would choose the implant and sinus lift without thinking twice. Personally, I think destroying two additional teeth is far more invasive than placing some bone dust in a small hole. Just my opinion.
yep, and if you're real unlucky like me you end up needing root canals in teeth that are ground down for crowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health