Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times

Advertisements

Don't tell the dentist you haven't seen one in 16 years. Just tell him you are not sure and it's been a while.

The every six months thing is ridiculous if you floss and brush, and have no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
I do drink a lot of apple juice every day. I would say the secret though is to know a lot of stress relief techniques. It's stress that causes people to have bruxism and other dental issues. I normally don't eat candy though, maybe a piece of pie sometimes.
Apple juice is higher in sugar and eating an apple is better but whatever has worked for you. As someone said too, some people just have stronger teeth. My issues started as a child and for years with just too too much sugars and carbs...Lots of dental work in my mouth.

Did you ever eat candy and are you pretty young or older?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Apple juice is higher in sugar and eating an apple is better but whatever has worked for you. As someone said too, some people just have stronger teeth. My issues started as a child and for years with just too too much sugars and carbs...Lots of dental work in my mouth.

Jaysus, Jamin, the OP has said she has not gone to the dentist for 16 yrs and has doesn't know what issues she may have with her teeth. It's not as though she avoided going to dentists because of her certainty that her teeth were perfect and she would never need a dentist.

A lot of people avoid going to dentists for many reasons unrelated to the health or care of their teeth, such as fear of dental procedures, not wanting to pay the cost of dental work, and I can sympathize, maybe feel sorry for the possible consequences they may encounter from that lack of dental care, but there is no way that someone avoids dentists for years because they're "doing something right" as you claim in one of your responses to the OP. And even brushing their teeth with whatever homemade concoction they fancy, and diet low in sweets will not guarantee pristine dental health over the years.

Hopefully she will find a dentist she likes, find she has, after all, been lucky over the years and won't need major dental work, and will get that work, whatever it is, done so she can be confident (not just guessing), that her teeth really are in good shape.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Neither I, nor any member of my family who has visited a dentist after years of not going have ever been "browbeaten", or even had any negative comments addressed towards them by the dentist they finally went and saw. I'm sure most dentists (and their employees ) realize that there is no point in talking to a patient that way, it won't change the condition of their teeth, and such negativity might well drive a patient away.
Travelassie gets it.

I have never "browbeaten" a patient for lack of oral hygiene/home care, dental history, etc. All it does is **** people off and doesn't change their habits. There are better ways to drive patients away if that is your goal.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:59 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Travelassie gets it.

I have never "browbeaten" a patient for lack of oral hygiene/home care, dental history, etc. All it does is **** people off and doesn't change their habits. There are better ways to drive patients away if that is your goal.
Thanks! I can't imagine a dentist in real life (only in the imaginations of those looking for any reason to bash the dental and traditional medical communities for their own convoluted reasons) browbeating, attempting to intimidate patients for any reason, it would be the best way to drive them off for sure.

Reminds me of the last dentist we went to when we lived in Miami. We started going to him when he was fresh out of dental school, we liked his enthusiam, his pride in his work and determination to do a good job (which he did). He also had a non-pretentious, tell-it-like-it is personality and sharp, dry sense of humor, so we liked him personally too. And he took our insurance, which was the icing on that cake. I would have gone to him even if he hadn't.

When I was looking for a new dentist and found him, I figured his best endorsement was the fact that he had bought the practice of a retiring dentist in the area, and this retiring dentist came to the new dentist for his own dental work.

Well, it had been several years since DH and I had paid our dentist a visit, (in my stupid years when I assumed that having a number of years with no dental problems-verified when I went for cleanings and x-rays, meant I'd never have any dental issues again ). One day we were in a local restaurant eating dinner, and our dentist came by on the way out with his family. We said hi to him, and he stopped, sent his family on out; looked at our food, then at us, and said, "well, looks from what you're eating your teeth are doing ok", and we all laughed, and he left. I figured this was part of this guy's off the wall personality, but he did have a point-not that we'd eat oatmeal with our beer for dinner at a Flanagan's restaurant. Maybe he did mean his remark as a gentle reminder, who knows, but I made us appointments shortly after that.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM

74 posts, read 128,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I eat some candy every week. Just yesterday I had a Hershey's pie and small chocolate bar for Halloween.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM

74 posts, read 128,989 times
I never even had my wisdom teeth pulled. About ten years ago I got a dental X-ray and they tried to get me to pull them. I left and never looked back

Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
I still have my wisdom teeth as well, they recommended that I get my top ones out. They do bother me a little bit sometimes and cause me sore gums every now and then because my teeth don't line up perfectly and they chomp on the back of my bottom gums too much if I'm not careful.

I would be careful with not going to the dentist I thought I was superman as well and although my teeth are pretty great I have gum problems that are effecting some of my teeth. Gum problems are worse than regular tooth problems because it can lead to BIG tooth problems.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Sixteen years is a long time not to go to the dentist. I go every six months for a check up and cleaning. The past few years I've said NO when they want to take the xrays. I can't afford xrays every six months on top of the cost of the check up and cleaning and anyway, are they really necessary every six months? It seems dental procedures get more and more expensive.

I'll be going to a new dentist because I've relocated but I have a great recommendation from someone. I'll get xrays this time just to make sure there's nothing going on that I don't know about.

My teeth feel a lot better after a professional cleaning. I have been using the baking soda and coconut oil recipe that's been posted on here but mostly because most toothpaste "burns" with the mint of whatever is in it. I do floss--but it's never enough. Dentists do yell at you for not flossing enough.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Dentists do yell at you for not flossing enough.
I really don't understand what the big deal is with not flossing. Takes less than a minute and there are so many aids/ways to help you floss that a 5 year old can do it - my kids are proof.

I am also surprised that the public hates it when they are told by their dentist that they need to floss more. Think about it:

Flossing = less cavities and reduced gum problems
Less cavities/gum problems = less work for the dentist
Less work the dentist does = less money they make

So, to recap - your dentist is telling you ways that will SAVE YOU money and will result in THEM making LESS money. Name me any other business that will routinely do that. Yet, people sill complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health