Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
BFZ BFZ started this thread

23 posts, read 22,602 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a surgery coming up soon. I have a teeth is weak, had gotten root canal on it. I have to get crown done as well. Braces will be after that. They will give general Anesthesia to get me to sleep. Will this procedure pop out or break the weak teeth? I am very concerned. Please Advice. I already called the hospital, they won't let me speak to anesthesiologists, only before the surgery.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Anesthesia personnel will visit you the night before...state your concerns to them. While intubation can possibly cause tooth issues, I think it's rare. You could also ask your dentist.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Anesthesia personnel will visit you the night before...state your concerns to them. While intubation can possibly cause tooth issues, I think it's rare. You could also ask your dentist.
I never had that "visit" the night before my hip surgery. Got an intro just before going into surgery.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I never had that "visit" the night before my hip surgery. Got an intro just before going into surgery.
Yes, I will get to know a week before. But I need to know now since I want to get my braces done, and it is goona cost me a bit plus crown etc. what are the chances it will pop out etc

Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Why not do more dental work after surgery, if that's what I understand.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Why not do more dental work after surgery, if that's what I understand.
yea, that's one solution, it is just that I have been searching orthodontist and dentist for a year and half now. Finally I got my root canal done. Braces are gonna take long to get off. I want to start soon as possible. it is long story.. but I have been juggling a lot.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Don't do stuff in haste, take time with decisions that are elective can always be a good way to think and do life things.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Don't do stuff in haste, take time with decisions that are elective can always be a good way to think and do life things.
Good point. However, won't I be wasting my time if there is other ways around it not that harmful etc. Only way to find out is the answer. I will wait if there is chances of poping out etc.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM

8,320 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Point out the loose tooth to the anesthesiologist, and they will do their best to protect the tooth. After you are asleep, you may have a tube placed in your throat to secure breathing under general anesthesia. Some people chew vigorously on that tube while coming out of anesthesia, and may break off a loose tooth. The anesthesiologist will tape the tube away from that tooth, but it still may break off if it is loose. Dental damage is a recognized risk of general anesthesia, as it will be written in the anesthesia consent that you would have to sign before undergoing anesthesia, so hospitals nowadays generally do not reimburse for the loss of a severely decayed/loose tooth during anesthesia.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
You should have a temporary cap on that root canal tooth.

Even so, there are no guarantees with teeth under any conditions. Including biting into a sandwich.

Speak with your dentist who can inform you about these things and alternatives in case that tooth goes bad. The dentist is the tooth expert not the anesthesiologist. He probably already told you if you lose that tooth, the only alternatives if you qualify...are an implant- Or a bridge. (3 crowns together)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health