Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM

18 posts, read 13,608 times

Advertisements

Two of my wisdom teeth are growing in and they look like they won't have problems however the 4 molars second from the back on the mandible and maxillary which I've had since childhood have always been sensitive. Two dentists have told me that it must have been a calcium deficiency as a kid that caused naturally weak and thus yellow enamel.

Whenever I eat sugar/carb meal and take a nap in the afternoon, it's only those 4 teeth (two at the top and two at bottom) which feel extremely sensitive. Not the pain of a cavity but I feel as if they're sore and actually cause the surrounding two teeth on both sides soreness at the very tip. This doesn't happen when I go to sleep at night.

A dentist told me since I was also seeking braces that it would be best to remove 4 teeth in total, two at top and two at bottom excluding my wisdom teeth. I have a feeling that he thinks its suitable to remove my wisdom teeth which would be stronger than the longer but sore and sensitive molars I currently have.

Could I ask the dentist to remove those teeth? Would my insurance pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM

13,093 posts, read 20,791,204 times
Our dental college will not perform wisdom tooth extractions because it requires a maxillofacial surgeon, not available at the dental college. When my wisdom tooth was extracted, it was paid through my health insurance not dental.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,612,883 times
Best to contact the dental schools and find out. I know people in my area who go to UCLA dental school for dental work. One woman who is financially comfortable even goes there.

You are aware of the foods that give you problems, REDUCE them. Sugars/carbs are doing us in.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,763,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallyflaccid View Post

Could I ask the dentist to remove those teeth? Would my insurance pay?
This is the summary of your post after removing the extraneous info. It sounds like the plan is to remove a premolar from each quadrant? This is called "Four on the Floor" and can be done by any dentist who is comfortable doing this procedure based on the expected difficulty and medical comorbidities. Your health insurance might reimburse you for your payment to the dentist. Most of the time when patients ask this question, they don't realize this is the patient's fight to get reimbursed. If you're asking will a dentist do this on contingency (for free) hoping your medical insurance will pay....good luck with that. Most will require payment up front and it's your job to get reimbursed by the insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health