Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 PM

90 posts, read 253,336 times

Advertisements

About 2 years ago, my current dentist sort if botched my root canal and half of my crown/tooth broke off leaving about half of my tooth still in place. Over the 2 years since, I have had no adverse or I'll effects from it. No pain or discomfort and no abscess has appeared from any sort of infection. I went for a check up today and a new dentist, whom I'd never seen before, seemed to insinuate that problems will, in fact, pop up and it's only a matter of time. She said an abscess will most likely develop at some point but there's no way to tell how long down the road. My question is, after 2 years, wouldn't it have been likely that something would have already occurred? She recommend getting an implant but they can be very costly and I might require a bone graph. I'm not sure what that even is but it doesn't sound very pleasant. Has anyone been in a similar situation and cam help me decide what I should do? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:11 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Depending on the location of the tooth it might be cheaper to just remove that tooth then replace it with a bridge. You can also live fine without that tooth, again depending on the location.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM

For anyone familiar with teeth location, it is tooth #12, where this is all happening.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
About 2 years ago, my current dentist sort if botched my root canal and half of my crown/tooth broke off leaving about half of my tooth still in place. Over the 2 years since, I have had no adverse or I'll effects from it. No pain or discomfort and no abscess has appeared from any sort of infection. I went for a check up today and a new dentist, whom I'd never seen before, seemed to insinuate that problems will, in fact, pop up and it's only a matter of time. She said an abscess will most likely develop at some point but there's no way to tell how long down the road. My question is, after 2 years, wouldn't it have been likely that something would have already occurred? She recommend getting an implant but they can be very costly and I might require a bone graph. I'm not sure what that even is but it doesn't sound very pleasant. Has anyone been in a similar situation and cam help me decide what I should do? Thank you.
So why can't they re-do the root canal if you develop an abscess? In any case if the tooth is broken you probably need a crown.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Tooth #12 seems to like to pull on the food, and is visible when you smile. You new dentist did make some sense with the comment. Is the tooth healthy beyond the gums? You may be better off getting a metal post for a new crown .

From my experience, if a tooth gets rotten, and you went through root canal, it is best to take care of it sooner than later. I prefer metal post, cemented into a healthy root, and a semi porcelain crown. If it is strongly recommended to do an implant, just get it over with. With my average dental insurance , my obligation is $1900.00, or triple the cost of a post and crown.

A smile is very important! Your Appearance says alot, if your teeth looks unhealthy or snaggly, people will look at you a certain way. You do not want to be that person with a bunch of missing teeth. Trust me , dentures suck. I am in my own situation due to my own neglect.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM

I have a narrow smile, so you cannot see the mostly missing tooth. Esthetics is not a problem. If I had to guess, there's probably only about 1/4 of the tooth left
There's no hole, so im not sure what the chances of it getting infected or another abscess forming. I may go in for an implant consultation or ask another dentist their opinion, since I am going to be switching dentists soon. I have Medi-Cal and am not sure how much of the cost they'd cover. I don't have an extra $2000 to spend.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I have a narrow smile, so you cannot see the mostly missing tooth. Esthetics is not a problem. If I had to guess, there's probably only about 1/4 of the tooth left
There's no hole, so im not sure what the chances of it getting infected or another abscess forming. I may go in for an implant consultation or ask another dentist their opinion, since I am going to be switching dentists soon. I have Medi-Cal and am not sure how much of the cost they'd cover. I don't have an extra $2000 to spend.
You're in luck - medi-cal just expanded adult dental benefits. In the past they only covered crowns and root canals for front teeth, they now offer them for all teeth. Make sure your dentist knows about this. https://test.cda.org/news-events/rat...ti-cal-program

Old 01-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Even if the tooth is broken, if the roots are sound they might be able to use what's called a post and core and put a crown on the tooth. Since you are on medi-cal don't offer the dentist the possibility of you paying out of pocket for services in excess of the covered amount until you find out what they can do that will be 100% covered.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:26 PM

Small update:

Scheduled appointment with a new dentist. Will get a new set of xrays and, of course, a second opinion on this whole situation. Will post again after appointment on Feb. 14.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're in luck - medi-cal just expanded adult dental benefits. In the past they only covered crowns and root canals for front teeth, they now offer them for all teeth. Make sure your dentist knows about this. https://test.cda.org/news-events/rat...ti-cal-program
From the website:

Full restoration of adult dental
In addition to the allocation of Proposition 56 funds to improve reimbursement for Medi-Cal providers, the state budget for 2017-18 included the full restoration of adult dental benefits for Medi-Cal beneficiaries. Previously eliminated in 2009 due to the state budget crisis, some adult dental benefits were restored in May 2014. In addition to the restored benefits of May 2014, effective Jan. 1, 2018, the adult benefit package will include the following procedures:
  • root canals
  • laboratory processed crowns
  • periodontics (scaling and root planing)
  • implants
  • partial dentures

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but is this for real - California Medicaid covers dental implants? You have got to be kidding me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health