Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

I had a bunch of dental work done today, a bridge replaced and a bunch of anterior crowns replaced. He administered the local at about 12:30 2 shots in the roof of my mouth and a nerve block on the lower left for the bridge. 6 hours later and I'm still numb and drooling. We are supposed to go out with friends in 2 hours but I can't go out like this, I sound like a drunk when I talk. I tried gently massaging my face, drinking warm coffee and that didn't do crap- any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had a bunch of dental work done today, a bridge replaced and a bunch of anterior crowns replaced. He administered the local at about 12:30 2 shots in the roof of my mouth and a nerve block on the lower left for the bridge. 6 hours later and I'm still numb and drooling. We are supposed to go out with friends in 2 hours but I can't go out like this, I sound like a drunk when I talk. I tried gently massaging my face, drinking warm coffee and that didn't do crap- any ideas?

This won't help you today, but my dental hygienist once mentioned that there is a medication that can be administered by the dentist that will immediately reverse the effects of the novacaine. However, she said they rarely use it as it is very expensive (and, of course, the patient has to pay for it.)

Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Well, this is too late for you, but I've found out that if you lightly slap yourself over and over on the numb area, it appears to break down the anesthetic faster then just letting it wear off.

It works that way for me anyway.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:54 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...-96087434.html

This medication is called Oraverse. I don’t know if it is the same medication daliowa referenced, but the article says it cuts down by 1.5 hrs the duration of the Novocain.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Well, this is too late for you, but I've found out that if you lightly slap yourself over and over on the numb area, it appears to break down the anesthetic faster then just letting it wear off.

It works that way for me anyway.
I tried that & my husband saw me slapping myself in the face and was ready to cart me off to the funny farm lol, unfortunately it didn't do much good. We cancelled our plans and stayed home and my nose and the sides of my face were still numb the next morning, and my nose wouldn't stop running and I was sneezing like every 30 seconds. I went and bought benadryl and that stopped the runny nose and sneezing and the numbness finally wore off about 21 hours after it was administered

Old 02-02-2018, 05:23 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
I tried that & my husband saw me slapping myself in the face and was ready to cart me off to the funny farm lol, unfortunately it didn't do much good. We cancelled our plans and stayed home and my nose and the sides of my face were still numb the next morning, and my nose wouldn't stop running and I was sneezing like every 30 seconds. I went and bought benadryl and that stopped the runny nose and sneezing and the numbness finally wore off about 21 hours after it was administered
LOL at the visual, but glad you are better.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
In the future I believe you can ask for the novocain without the vasoconstrictor that they add to keep the novocain in the area longer. Worth a try.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
In the future I believe you can ask for the novocain without the vasoconstrictor that they add to keep the novocain in the area longer. Worth a try.
I'll ask him, I'm also wondering if maybe I am allergic to what he used (Articaine) I never had my stupid nose run and sneeze like that from a local anesthetic

Old 02-03-2018, 07:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
I'll ask him, I'm also wondering if maybe I am allergic to what he used (Articaine) I never had my stupid nose run and sneeze like that from a local anesthetic
Doubtful. It sounds like they just used WAY too much for you, and for that long at time, it was probably a version with epinephrine which lasts longer and is more numbing. Next time, you can ask for an epinephrine free version and explain that you just want the minimal amount to not feel anything. I just asked for the minimum at an appointment earlier this week and it was not a big deal. The person who administered the anesthetic said people typically want the maximum amount, so you just need to be verbal about your wishes. I figure if it starts to wear off, I can raise my hand for more (which I have done in the past) but if they give too much, I can’t raise my hand for less.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:34 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Yes I agree, he injected FAR too much this time. It sometimes happens.

Better than too little, and you feeling it right away and flinching when he's working in your mouth. I used to have a dentist that wouldn't give anesthetic shots at all. That's no fun at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health