Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes it will definitely be stronger with the crown, every dentist I've been to has recommended a crown after a tooth has a root canal
I have one tooth without a crown that had resorption and dentists are reluctant to put one on for fear that the resorption will return. It really depends on the circumstances. The tooth had the root canal something like 16 years ago and is still going strong and a lot of the tooth is hollowed out to boot. I actually tried to get a post and crown at a foreign dental school when I was abroad and it would probably cost like $50-100, but the dentist would not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:05 AM

613 posts, read 937,079 times
Quote:
Yes it will definitely be stronger with the crown, every dentist I've been to has recommended a crown after a tooth has a root canal
Here's what I don't get: I have an upper molar with a gold crown that looks like it encases the whole tooth. But the dentist that did the "core" procedure on my #30 molar said that the crown he'd do would just sit on top of the tooth (?). I don't know how that would strengthen the tooth?

This from animated-teeth.com:

One of the hallmarks of crown placement is the way it reinforces and strengthens a tooth. This is due to the way it cups over and encases it.

Also this:
  1. A crown ("cap") is a type of dental restoration that fully cups over that portion of a tooth or dental implant that lies at and above the gum line.
  2. Once placed, it in effect becomes the tooth's new outer surface. (In comparison, a dental filling just fills in or repairs a portion of a tooth.)
Is this what other people here have who talk about their crowns? I think maybe I should pay for an extra office visit to discuss it (& a couple of other molars with issues) before committing to the $1370 crown.

Of course there's a lot of dentists (at least for a 2nd opinion on how they'd do the crown). I called one here in this town & it'd be $155 for an exam & 1 x-ray. And $1365 for a crown. Or I could maybe see the dentist I saw last Spring who told me I had a small cavity (THEN it was small!) in the #30 tooth, but I'd feel ridiculous, & he might not be too happy either. Or a dentist I saw a few years ago in a suburb of Boston who seemed good.....................

https://www.animated-teeth.com/denta...s_what_are.htm

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 AM

42,721 posts, read 25,889,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Here's what I don't get: I have an upper molar with a gold crown that looks like it encases the whole tooth. But the dentist that did the "core" procedure on my #30 molar said that the crown he'd do would just sit on top of the tooth (?). I don't know how that would strengthen the tooth?

This from animated-teeth.com:

One of the hallmarks of crown placement is the way it reinforces and strengthens a tooth. This is due to the way it cups over and encases it.

Also this:
  1. A crown ("cap") is a type of dental restoration that fully cups over that portion of a tooth or dental implant that lies at and above the gum line.
  2. Once placed, it in effect becomes the tooth's new outer surface. (In comparison, a dental filling just fills in or repairs a portion of a tooth.)
Is this what other people here have who talk about their crowns? I think maybe I should pay for an extra office visit to discuss it (& a couple of other molars with issues) before committing to the $1370 crown.

Of course there's a lot of dentists (at least for a 2nd opinion on how they'd do the crown). I called one here in this town & it'd be $155 for an exam & 1 x-ray. And $1365 for a crown. Or I could maybe see the dentist I saw last Spring who told me I had a small cavity (THEN it was small!) in the #30 tooth, but I'd feel ridiculous, & he might not be too happy either. Or a dentist I saw a few years ago in a suburb of Boston who seemed good.....................

https://www.animated-teeth.com/denta...s_what_are.htm
A crown covers the entire tooth and extends to the gum line. Maybe what the dentist is describing that lays on top of the tooth is not a crown but an inlay or an onlay? Inlays and Onlays

I've never payed $1370 for a crown, I'm in California and the dentist bills my insurance $1100 for a crown but my insurance limits payment to around $980 and I pay a portion of that. Why not get another opinion? Ask your current dentist for your x-rays and take them to another dentist and get their opinion, as long as they don't have to retake x-rays they should be willing to evaluate the x-rays without charging you for it

Old 04-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
A crown covers the entire tooth and extends to the gum line. Maybe what the dentist is describing that lays on top of the tooth is not a crown but an inlay or an onlay? Inlays and Onlays

I've never payed $1370 for a crown, I'm in California and the dentist bills my insurance $1100 for a crown but my insurance limits payment to around $980 and I pay a portion of that. Why not get another opinion? Ask your current dentist for your x-rays and take them to another dentist and get their opinion, as long as they don't have to retake x-rays they should be willing to evaluate the x-rays without charging you for it
I envy you for having dental insurance. But I don't. So far I've gotten 3 prices for a crown: $1365, $1370, (Here in S. NH), & $1489 from a dentist closer to Boston. I may call a couple of others. But the dentist I went to in Portsmouth for the "core buildup" has a very good reputation, & I feel comfortable there (so far); & I've seen a LOT of dentists over the years.

This is an expensive part of the country. I'm sure if I divulged my property taxes a lot of people in cheaper areas would say "I would never pay that!". BTW I've gone to a couple of cheapo dental clinics long ago--like some of those big "chains", saved a few bucks, & had horrific experiences. I just want to get a great job on the crown & go to a really good dentist......

Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I envy you for having dental insurance. But I don't. So far I've gotten 3 prices for a crown: $1365, $1370, (Here in S. NH), & $1489 from a dentist closer to Boston. I may call a couple of others. But the dentist I went to in Portsmouth for the "core buildup" has a very good reputation, & I feel comfortable there (so far); & I've seen a LOT of dentists over the years.

This is an expensive part of the country. I'm sure if I divulged my property taxes a lot of people in cheaper areas would say "I would never pay that!". BTW I've gone to a couple of cheapo dental clinics long ago--like some of those big "chains", saved a few bucks, & had horrific experiences. I just want to get a great job on the crown & go to a really good dentist......
I understand, I was surprised because I thought dentist fees in California were bad...I never expected them to be that much higher somewhere else. I agree about the dental clinics, they are just horrible.

The insurance wasn't cheap but I had a bunch of work to have done and couldn't afford it otherwise. I found two plans that cover major work immediately, I bought them both. Initially one plan pays 30% the other 25% so right after buying them they paid 55% of crowns and root canals up to $3500 a year. The two plans together cost me around $140 a month, after I had the work done I dropped one plan and pay around $65 a month for $3500 annual coverage, right now it pays 50% but if I keep that policy it will cover 65% next year. The nice part is that the dentists agree to their fee schedule which is probably less than they normally charge. You can cancel the policies the day after your dentist submits their bill.

https://www.spiritdental.com/

https://denalidental.com/dental-insu...et-a-quote-now

Somewhere on those links there is provider list.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I understand, I was surprised because I thought dentist fees in California were bad...I never expected them to be that much higher somewhere else. I agree about the dental clinics, they are just horrible.

The insurance wasn't cheap but I had a bunch of work to have done and couldn't afford it otherwise. I found two plans that cover major work immediately, I bought them both. Initially one plan pays 30% the other 25% so right after buying them they paid 55% of crowns and root canals up to $3500 a year. The two plans together cost me around $140 a month, after I had the work done I dropped one plan and pay around $65 a month for $3500 annual coverage, right now it pays 50% but if I keep that policy it will cover 65% next year. The nice part is that the dentists agree to their fee schedule which is probably less than they normally charge. You can cancel the policies the day after your dentist submits their bill.
Yeah, who would'a thunk anything would be more expensive, anywhere, than in California? The Northeast! Even in S. NH! Good info about the insurance tho, thanks, I'll "rep you".

But I called 2 more dentists: $1317, & $1400 for a crown. So 5 diff. quotes between $1317 & $1489. The 2 dentists here in NH that seem the best--one being the dentist I saw the did the "core build-up"--only take the Delta Premier that's $104/mo. At least, that's the only one they're "in-network". They said they take other insurance--at least they'll bill them--but then they pay less "out of network", & it's just kind of a mystery what they'll pay (?). Maybe I need to try to figure that out too.

I also called the dentist in Mass. who last Spring told me I had a small cavity in my #30 molar (that I neglected until it turned into the very expensive Cavity from Hell). They take a ton of diff. ins. plans (gee if only I'd have asked back then). Including various less expensive Delta Dental plans. I wasn't so sure about him, but he has fantastic FB on Yelp. I didn't feel as comfortable with him as with the dentist I saw in Portsmouth that did the core. The Portsmouth dentist seemed really professional--has great credentials--good office staff--nice guy--& it's pretty easy to get there & park. Oh, & he referred me to the endodontist who also seemed great.

Also none of the ins. I've looked into have no waiting period for crowns. So I'd be looking at.......at least 7 months of waiting to do the crown, as now I couldn't get ins. that'd start until June 1st. Basically I've gone cuckoo with all this. Insurance? or no insurance, & just get the crown made ASAP? Which dentist? It's all turning into a big mind-_____. I probably should've gotten the crown started already & just paid out-of pocket........

Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Also none of the ins. I've looked into have no waiting period for crowns. So I'd be looking at.......at least 7 months of waiting to do the crown, as now I couldn't get ins. that'd start until June 1st. Basically I've gone cuckoo with all this. Insurance? or no insurance, & just get the crown made ASAP? Which dentist? It's all turning into a big mind-_____. I probably should've gotten the crown started already & just paid out-of pocket........
The two insurance companies I listed cover crowns, root canals and all major work from day one. Trust me, I used the coverage as soon as I enrolled and both companies paid. Spirit dental paid 25% the first year for major work, Denali paid 30% - that's why I got the two policies, the dentist billed them both and I only had to pay 45% of several thousand dollars of bridge and crown work.

I finished the work 6 months later in January of this year because Spirit goes up to 50% for major work on the first of the year and Denali stayed at 30% until my policy anniversary date which is in July, so on January 1st the two policies together paid for 80% of my dental work. I had all my major work done and cancelled one of the policies the day after the dentist billed them.

I know it sounds crazy but a dentist (not the one I'm seeing now) told me about it. They both cover implants too. I have the claims forms showing what they paid. If you want to see one send me a private message and I will send you a link to it and you can see for yourself. If your dentist isn't on the provider list for those two companies talk to their insurance billing clerk and ask them to enroll as a provider, that's what I did with my dentist who was a provider for one company but not the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health