Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe you could explain why wisdom teeth are so commonly removed when they aren't causing any grief to the patient?
One of my sons (adult) was talked into it by a dentist,and had 4 removed at once....I still don't know why, and even though he went with it, neither does my son.

Every patient is different so your mileage may vary. On average, most people's jaws have stopped growing by the time wisdom teeth develop and there is usually no room for the wisdom teeth to erupt, leaving them impacted. Depending on the conditions, these impactions could cause slow damage to other teeth. If they do somehow erupt many of these teeth end up getting cavities because most patients don't clean well enough back there.

The take home message is that, for most people (read: not everyone), wisdom teeth cause problems at some point in life. Research has also shown that the absence of wisdom teeth has absolutely no detrimental effect on chewing or speaking provided the patient has the rest of their teeth. Thus, many dentists recommend to take them out early before these problems start.

There will always be people (especially on these forums) who boast "my wisdom teeth have never given me a problem". Good for you. It is not the same for everyone. I had all of mine removed when I was 17 which guaranteed that I would never have any future problems with my wisdom teeth. Knowing what I know as a dentist, I will do the same for both of my kids when they are old enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I urge those that have all their wisdom teeth to give the Butler Tuft brush a try. Without it, I would never have been able to keep my wisdom teeth and gums around them clean. I've been using it along side my regular tooth brush for 30 years, just for the wisdom teeth. Brushing takes a few minutes longer, but that's fine w/me.

https://www.amazon.com/BUTLER-TUFT-B...end+tuft+brush

Old 06-24-2018, 07:54 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe you could explain why wisdom teeth are so commonly removed when they aren't causing any grief to the patient?
One of my sons (adult) was talked into it by a dentist,and had 4 removed at once....I still don't know why, and even though he went with it, neither does my son.

Similarly, why do we treat high blood pressure for patients who haven't even had their first heart attack yet?

About 80% of the population will develop problems or symptoms that require removal later in life. The problem is that having these teeth removed in your 50s or 60s is a much bigger deal with riskier surgery, higher rate AND severity of complications, slower healing, possible loss of additional teeth, and sometimes they even have to be done in the hospital. These are rarely able to be "pulled" and usually have to be cut out.

As for removing all 4 at once.....this is usually how it's done for several reasons:
1. most people would rather have 1 surgery than 4 surgeries
2. if being sedated, it's cheaper to have the sleepy medicine only once
3. insurance coverage for this stuff is getting worse every year, so many patients choose to take advantage of existing insurance benefits while they can, assuming there is a reasonable risk all the teeth will need to come out.

But if you don't want them removed, then don't do it.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Similarly, why do we treat high blood pressure for patients who haven't even had their first heart attack yet?

Because high blood pressure can cause death...that's why
No comparison to a tooth that's not bothering someone and high blood pressure...none at all!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health