Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,548 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got the the first quote for the $7600 from my dentist for the single upper implant that includes extraction, bone graft, implant placement, custom abutment, impression and crown.
The second quote from the same dentist for the 2 upper implants that includes the same procedures plus the sinus lift is $13800 total.

Can you please tell me is that fair price for California? He is my dentist for the last 6 years but sometimes I feel like he is expensive.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timur38 View Post
Hello,

I got the the first quote for the $7600 from my dentist for the single upper implant that includes extraction, bone graft, implant placement, custom abutment, impression and crown.
The second quote from the same dentist for the 2 upper implants that includes the same procedures plus the sinus lift is $13800 total.

Can you please tell me is that fair price for California? He is my dentist for the last 6 years but sometimes I feel like he is expensive.

Thank you!
My dentist quoted $5200 for an implant on a lower molar and I thought that was high.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:46 PM

29 posts, read 109,027 times
That sounds high. I probably spent around 5k for everything.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:49 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

My dentist quoted $5200 for an implant on a lower molar and I thought that was high.
My second molar (very last molar in the mouth unless you have a wisdom tooth) was cracked and had to be removed. My former dentist said I'd need to get an implant, or else the upper molar directly above would eventually start lowering with no molar below to provide resistance.

I just went to a different dentist and had the cracked tooth extracted. The new dentist is just out of dental school and has been practicing for a year. He specialized in implants and he teaches implant techniques at the dental college.

He said he would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend an implant to replace the second molar. That part of the mouth is the hardest to heal and implants there often fail.

I asked about the upper molar lowering, and he said that would happen eventually, but it will take 10 to 20 years to happen. At that point if it starts getting in the way, it would need to be extracted too.

He said losing the second molar really doesn't affect the function of the mouth anyway.

Now if it was a tooth closer in, he would totally have recommended an implant. I did some reading about implants, and they are not necessarily maintenance free. They can fail and they can also cause other teeth to die. Sometimes the bone begins to recede and the implant fails. Even the type of implant matters. There are smooth ones and rough ones. They thought the rough ones integrated better with the bone, but now they have realized the ridges allow bacteria in.

Complicated subject for sure.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
My second molar (very last molar in the mouth unless you have a wisdom tooth) was cracked and had to be removed. My former dentist said I'd need to get an implant, or else the upper molar directly above would eventually start lowering with no molar below to provide resistance.

I just went to a different dentist and had the cracked tooth extracted. The new dentist is just out of dental school and has been practicing for a year. He specialized in implants and he teaches implant techniques at the dental college.

He said he would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend an implant to replace the second molar. That part of the mouth is the hardest to heal and implants there often fail.

I asked about the upper molar lowering, and he said that would happen eventually, but it will take 10 to 20 years to happen. At that point if it starts getting in the way, it would need to be extracted too.

He said losing the second molar really doesn't affect the function of the mouth anyway.

Now if it was a tooth closer in, he would totally have recommended an implant. I did some reading about implants, and they are not necessarily maintenance free. They can fail and they can also cause other teeth to die. Sometimes the bone begins to recede and the implant fails. Even the type of implant matters. There are smooth ones and rough ones. They thought the rough ones integrated better with the bone, but now they have realized the ridges allow bacteria in.

Complicated subject for sure.
It IS complicated. I think you got good advice. I have an implant bridge which is working OK, but I have had my troubles with it. My husband got an implant and has had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with it. At this point he had to have another extraction and decided to leave it, due to the problems with the implant he already has.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

It IS complicated. I think you got good advice. I have an implant bridge which is working OK, but I have had my troubles with it. My husband got an implant and has had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with it. At this point he had to have another extraction and decided to leave it, due to the problems with the implant he already has.
Yikes. I had no idea until now that implants could fail.

I never thought I'd have to have a tooth extracted, other than my wisdom teeth. I don't know why that molar cracked. Actually, it had split completely in half by the time I had it taken out, which caused a serious infection I'm taking antibiotics for. Had to sign a paper acknowledging I could end up with nerve damage from the extraction because both the molar and the infection were right on top of the major nerve that runs along the jawline.

But I lucked out getting a new dentist that knows so much about implants and was smart enough to advise against getting one. And I lucked out that the problem tooth was a back tooth.

Other than some fillings, the only other thing I have is one crown. The dentist knocked the crown off while he was extracting the molar right in back of it. He said that's not unusual. The cement was probably getting weaker since the crown is at least 20 years old. I had no idea until the extraction was complete and he told me. He just cemented it back on. I'm glad he knocked it out, because now it has fresh cement.

The dentist was just glad I didn't swallow the crown. Me too. I would have been pissed if I had to pay for a new crown!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have had 4 implants, over about 5 years, last in 2016. They were about $4,000 each, and with my dental insurance and also being on my wife’s, I only had to pay about half. There is a disclaimer form that I had to sign which explains that the procedure can fail and cause serious problems.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 AM

I do know that implants often fail when the person is a smoker or when the person has diabetes. Smokers usually have issues with their gums. Diabetes inhibits healing.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I have had 4 implants, over about 5 years, last in 2016. They were about $4,000 each, and with my dental insurance and also being on my wife’s, I only had to pay about half. There is a disclaimer form that I had to sign which explains that the procedure can fail and cause serious problems.
What are the serious problems they can cause if they fail?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I have 4 implants and they've been running $5K each. I'm in the KC area. Last ones were in 2014; just got a quote on one more and the oral surgeon's estimate is $3,500; that excludes the dentist's charge for getting and installing the prosthetic tooth so I'm probably looking at $5K again. Oral surgeon did a 3-D scan of my jaw and was thrilled with how the others have integrated and how much bone mass I have in the jaw- he told his assistant to get a copy of the scan for a presentation he's doing. The guy is a rock star- MD and DDS. I hope he doesn't retire during my lifetime, This is not work to give to the lowest bidder. My dentist, whom I also love, said he had one case where the oral surgeon (not mine) had put the titanium plate into the jaw just a teensy bit off the correct angle- so the tooth would have been at the wrong angle. Not sure how the dentist fixed that.

I LOVE my implants. I do have to go for leaning 4X/year but that's the only extra care they need. I have a problem with plaque anyway so it's good for the rest of my teeth, too.

I just hope I don't need another one for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health