Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The only downside to using electric is the travel issue. Battery operated brushes are useless, IMO. So when I travel I carry a regular old toothbrush. And look forward to using the OralB as soon as I get home.

My electric toothbrush stays charged for at least a couple days. For longer trips, I take the charging unit, not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My electric toothbrush stays charged for at least a couple days. For longer trips, I take the charging unit, not a big deal.
I am always surprised how long a battery charge lasts in my Sonicare...days of use. However, it isn't a sin to use an electric toothbrush without pushing the button. It will still do the job even if the battery is dead! If I plan to travel to places without power or want to travel very light, I just take a manual. They are smaller and lighter.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2019 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 05:12 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
I just started using an electric toothbrush about five months ago on the recommendation of my dentist. I have a Sonic Care basic one. My mouth always feels cleaner and I tend to take more time brushing now. I guess I will find out in a few weeks at my next cleaning if it made a difference. I am not one who gets cavities for many years, but I do have some gum recession and tend to build up plaque in hard to get places.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
I belive the the electric ones are far superior and I have been using the Oral B with the round brusheads. Many different brush head types are available.

I’ve brushed my teeth with a conventional toothbrush and for some reason used the Oral B hours later and then have noticed a bunch of food particles in the sink! Guess the hand brushing never cleaned that well.

The Oral B spins really fast while having different bristles in stiffness and in length that manage to get between the teeth better then a convection tooth brush. Some heads are even listed as flossing bristles.

Also, the brush has a sensor that times four equal time periods so you know how long to brush top and bottom and in and out. When my last Oral B died, after 6 years, I call them and they gave me a discount towards buying another one on Amazon which I thought was great.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I belive the the electric ones are far superior and I have been using the Oral B with the round brusheads. Many different brush head types are available.

I’ve brushed my teeth with a conventional toothbrush and for some reason used the Oral B hours later and then have noticed a bunch of food particles in the sink! Guess the hand brushing never cleaned that well.

The Oral B spins really fast while having different bristles in stiffness and in length that manage to get between the teeth better then a convection tooth brush. Some heads are even listed as flossing bristles.

Also, the brush has a sensor that times four equal time periods so you know how long to brush top and bottom and in and out. When my last Oral B died, after 6 years, I call them and they gave me a discount towards buying another one on Amazon which I thought was great.

Your "hand brushing" never worked that well. Rather, you weren't brushing correctly, long enough, or flossing.

What I was going to post, before I read the bolded balderdash, is that anything which encourages brushing is a good thing. Electric toothbrushes with timers are good for children, who often don't brush long enough. These types of brushes can also be good for the elderly who may have dexterity issues.

Barring a specific medical issue, there's no reason for people to get cavities-- or gum disease, which can result in tooth loss. And many people who used only manual brushes before electric ones even came on the scene (and were subsequently promoted by dentists getting kickbacks to promote branded products), have managed to go through life without caries or gum disease.

Thorough oral hygiene is accessible to everyone--with or without electric toothbrushes.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Can anyone say which brand is the best ? Sonicaire or Oral B

Old 02-03-2019, 12:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Your "hand brushing" never worked that well. Rather, you weren't brushing correctly, long enough, or flossing.

What I was going to post, before I read the bolded balderdash, is that anything which encourages brushing is a good thing. Electric toothbrushes with timers are good for children, who often don't brush long enough. These types of brushes can also be good for the elderly who may have dexterity issues.

Barring a specific medical issue, there's no reason for people to get cavities-- or gum disease, which can result in tooth loss. And many people who used only manual brushes before electric ones even came on the scene (and were subsequently promoted by dentists getting kickbacks to promote branded products), have managed to go through life without caries or gum disease.

Thorough oral hygiene is accessible to everyone--with or without electric toothbrushes.

I don't understand what your point is. Most people get cavities and many people also get gum disease. I'm one of the extreme minority who at 63 doesn't have any cavities. My grandparents, and many aunts, and uncles, had false teeth at an early age. I brushed with a regular toothbrush most of my life. I know I didn't do a very good job because dentists and hygienists would tell me that I was not doing a good job of brushing one side as compared to the other. I was also told that I had early signs of gum disease. An electric toothbrush has enable me to brush thoroughly every single tooth in my mouth front and back. I also no longer have any signs of gum disease since an electric toothbrush does a much better job of massage all of my gums. I also like the idea of a timer because I would never brush my teeth long enough without a timer.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:26 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Doubt it matters. Either one will do the job if you use it consistently. There may be features one has the other doesn't that matter to you, but in the end the fact that you even brush your teeth well makes the difference.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:48 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
IMHO it's a matter of personal preference re: your own mouth. I've used a Sonicare for 15-16 years, always on the Sensitive setting and with their Soft brush head. Mine is the one with the built-in sanitizer which I also like.

If/when this one finally expires I will have to see what's available. I have been told by two dentists, though, that people with sensitive gums usually find the Sonicare's brush action to be less likely to cause irritation.

A 1997 NIH study showed the Sonicare to be more effective than the Oral-B in removing plaque but of course that study is twenty years old now.

A 2010 study found little difference between the two brands.

A 2014 study showed the Oral-B to be superior but... guess what? That study was funded by Oral-B, and so in my book it is suspect at best, useless at worst.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:54 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
IMHO it's a matter of personal preference re: your own mouth. I've used a Sonicare for 15-16 years, always on the Sensitive setting and with their Soft brush head. Mine is the one with the built-in sanitizer which I also like.

If/when this one finally expires I will have to see what's available. I have been told by two dentists, though, that people with sensitive gums usually find the Sonicare's brush action to be less likely to cause irritation.

A 1997 NIH study showed the Sonicare to be more effective than the Oral-B in removing plaque but of course that study is twenty years old now.

A 2010 study found little difference between the two brands.

A 2014 study showed the Oral-B to be superior but... guess what? That study was funded by Oral-B, and so in my book it is suspect at best, useless at worst.
Perhaps just personal taste since they are both the two largest competing brands that have the largest market share.

I’ve used both and definitely prefer Oral B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health