Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,814 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have juvenile aggressive periodontal disease. I am a 45 year old female. My perio said we are to remove 10 teeth due to bone loss, perform root scaling/planing on remaining teeth. She and dentist feel strong chance of saving remaining teeth.

Their treatment plan is to extract 10 teeth with socket bone graft in 3 uppers for implants (keeping own 4 front teeth and some molars), no bone graft in bottom 4 front lowers (will get implant or non-implant supported bridge after healing), not replacing last molars (removing last molars on top) and give me a temporary flexible partial while waiting to heal.

My fear is that what happens if I do the implants on top ($12,000) and then in a year or two they say I need to pull more teeth. Would those implants that I received be able to be converted into an implant retained upper denture?
Would you hold off on implants to see if root scaling/planing was successful? I am completely on board with the aftercare of returning every 3 months for maintenance, plus my own home care. (although with my type of perio it's difficult - the key will be the 3 month "deep" cleaning by perio)

I'm just trying to think out all scenarios.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Aristocatastic; 09-16-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Heres a cheaper scenario,have the teeth pulled out and then replace with a denture.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Ha! Thanks, that is an option but I'd rather try to save majority of my teeth if I can!

I am researching all possible treatments though.

I do fear no matter what I do, with my type of perio disease, full extractions are in my future. That is why I'm saving today for implant supported dentures tomorrow.

But for now...my periodontist is upbeat and confident with the treatment plan, but I don't have unlimited funds and want to make smart choices now.

And I'm sorry for anyone who has this problem.

It's hard, it not a terminal illness which I'm thankful for, but its heartbreaking to me just the same.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:40 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocatastic View Post
Ha! Thanks, that is an option but I'd rather try to save majority of my teeth if I can!
I am researching all possible treatments though.
I do fear no matter what I do, with my type of perio disease, full extractions are in my future. That is why I'm saving today for implant supported dentures tomorrow.
But for now...my periodontist is upbeat and confident with the treatment plan, but I don't have unlimited funds and want to make smart choices now.
And I'm sorry for anyone who has this problem.
It's hard, it not a terminal illness which I'm thankful for, but its heartbreaking to me just the same.
By all means save what teeth you can! You might want to talk to a prosthodontist regarding your question about implant supported dentures.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
As I understand it, you need a bone graft for implant or bridge after an extraction?

Have you received a second opinion?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:19 PM

No, I didn't get a second opinion. I trust them, and I saw the x-rays myself, the bone loss is there! Maybe I should get one though, just to be sure.

They are only doing bone grafts for the 3 top teeth getting implants. My bottom teeth aren't getting a bone graft, not sure why, but they discussed doing an implant retained bridge for those...

They say they are confident we can keep the rest of my teeth with some degree of bone loss with scaling/root planing (possible flap surgery on one tooth) and perio maintenance. But I'm still worried. That's why I'm nervous to invest $12,000 in 3 upper implants if in a year they say my other teeth have to come out. I'm not sure what would happen then.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocatastic View Post
No, I didn't get a second opinion. I trust them, and I saw the x-rays myself, the bone loss is there! Maybe I should get one though, just to be sure.

They are only doing bone grafts for the 3 top teeth getting implants. My bottom teeth aren't getting a bone graft, not sure why, but they discussed doing an implant retained bridge for those...

They say they are confident we can keep the rest of my teeth with some degree of bone loss with scaling/root planing (possible flap surgery on one tooth) and perio maintenance. But I'm still worried. That's why I'm nervous to invest $12,000 in 3 upper implants if in a year they say my other teeth have to come out. I'm not sure what would happen then.
Right. But you need the bone graft to attach the implant/bridge to.

With that much money on the line, as well as almost half your teeth, please get a second opinion.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
$12000 to fix 3 teeth? i can see why your peridontist is upbeat at the prospect of draining your bank account. i'd be really surprized if these 3 teeth are all thats going to be needed. When i was younger i had a car accident that required major dental work ,implants were suggested but the cost was outragious so i had all teeth removed and have been living happily with a beautiful set of dentures for 30 years now. Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health