U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,989 times

Advertisements

Greetings & Salutations to all... i just got my "Temporary" uppers 5 days ago & things seem to be going well, i'm healing nicely & pain is controllable... i will be going back in 2 days for adjustments... however, i studied my temporary that i will be wearing for 6 months and i have some question about the workmanship... there are sharp little bumps on the gum side of the denture, the teeth look nice, but its really thick in some places,(upper lip& in back) the teeth are not sharp at all, & the plastic at the molars comes down further than the teeth so my food hits the red part before it hits the teeth making it impossible for my food to be chewed... There is nothing "Temporary" about something you have to live with for 6 months, should i get a new dentist & denture???
Thanks & God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,827 times
I just had all my teeth pulled and had temp dentures put in right away i"ve had them for about 4 days now about how long does it normally take to regain control of speech? an normal eating habbits?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,721 times
I had my dentures a week and i got sores so bad you see my jaw bone should i go back to the dentest to have them look at the sores

Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM

16,752 posts, read 16,220,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSWEET View Post
I had my dentures a week and i got sores so bad you see my jaw bone should i go back to the dentest to have them look at the sores
Yes. Do it today. They may not fit right, especially in the front.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,458 times
My boyfriend just had top and bottom dentures done and I was wondering what kinds of dinner I can make him?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:34 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynwaltman View Post
My boyfriend just had top and bottom dentures done and I was wondering what kinds of dinner I can make him?
It depends on what you mean by "just" and "done."

Has he had the final fitting, and finished product is now in his mouth? Or did he have all his teeth pulled a month ago and now has a temporary plates until his mouth finishes healing so he can have final fittings?

Just, meaning - this past week? Or this past month, or a few hours ago? It makes a HUGE difference. If it was a few hours ago, give him time to adjust. If it was earlier this week, he should be able to eat whatever he claims he's comfortable eating. If it was a month ago, he should be able to eat pretty much anything, except maybe caramel apples and -possibly- corn on the cob.

If he's still adjusting to wearing dentures, you could try making him things that don't involve gnawing. So, no ribs, or corn, or chicken wings, etc. But, rib meat in a stew or with gravy/sauce, cut corn (off the cob), and boneless chicken should be fine.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,313 times
i just had all my top teeth and a bottom wisdom pulled, i got 20 stitches on the top of my mouth i find it hard to eat the softest things possible and to drink anything its sooo discomforting. i cant eat bread when i try to swallow water or anything like that it feels like im going to start gagging or something. my dentist told me the firs few weeks are gong to be like this it sucks

Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,769 times
I had all of my teeth pulled this last week (4 days ago) and am miserable!!! I can't believe how small my teeth are (temporary) and all gums! I have a crooked jaw, so we had to opt for both (top and bottom) done at the same time. I live in small town, USA and I'm starting to think that the dentist I went to (very nice) may not have the experience I thought he might have.

I'm so frustrated with the teeth....they look great if you like to see a lot of gum when you smile....or talk or anything. I understand that with all extractions there's pain....and the healing process is up to the individual, etc....however, I'm hurting from my dentures rubbing the gums. I'll be returning as soon as possible to see about getting them "fitted" so that we might eliminate that pain from that particular issue.

I have family and friends who have had their teeth replaced with dentures and look great....but, I'm wondering if I made a mistake....scary.....and so costly!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
I had all my teeth pulled with the exception of 2 lower teeth exactly 8 days ago. Yesterday I had full immediate uppers and lower partials put in immediately after the pullings. Exactly one week later (yesterday) I had my lower partial relined with a soft reline. I can say that the reline has helped dramatically with the lower partial. The partial was absolutely useless until the reline. I have one dry socket in the top of my mouth and no reline up top. I was give a medicated packing into the dry socket yesterday as well as had any sutures remaining removed. I can chew Toasted Tuna sandwiches, mac and cheese, eggs, ground beef, battered fish, cereals, French fries, mozza sticks, potatoes, cooked carrots, corn (off the cob), hamburger helper, and many other soft to medium density foods. That's one week after extractions with only the lower relined. Having 2 real teeth to hold the partial in has to help and the reline is worth its weight in gold, has to have helped me quite a bit. Even with the dry socket (nothing to worry about really, Its no more painful then the average tooth ache) I can chew and live an almost normal life after only one week. This is going to be a fairly long period for me to learn and adjust to but I will come out on top and each and every one of you can too. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Seriously!! Stop the BS and move on. Pain....This should be a walk in the park considering you just had your teeth pulled. You must have lived with tooth pain, abscess, low self esteem, not being able to eat the foods you want etc.....in order for you to get here....Right? The pain I was under was nothing compared to this dry socket BS. Its a mosquito bite in reality. Absolutely nothing to worry about. If you had your teeth pulled because your too cheep to replace one tooth....your an idiot and you will probably be absolutely miserable for the rest of your life because of it. I'm talking to those with real pain. Real discomfort, infection and teeth beyond repair. Its not nearly as difficult as the years you have spent in pain. Having your teeth pulled, especially when its the majority of them is a MAJOR deal. Its not like a splinter In your finger or a couple stitches to close a cut. Its major in every way. Not only is there pain and discomfort, there is the possibility of stitches in your mouth (I hated that part) new or lack of sensation to learn and adapt to and a whole new set of foreign pieces of plastic to learn to work and live with. The mouth produces enough saliva that can keep most people feeling full and even ill with upset stomach. Most people will never get accustomed to the amount of blood you will taste in your mouth for the first couple days. Its seriously a big thing.....The biggest however is none of that.....Its the battle each denture wearer will go through with themselves. You must learn to accept your new mouth. That's all there is to it. Yes, it sucks and you will never be able to chew the way you once did again. You will never, EVER, have the feeling that only your own teeth can give, ever again. Those days are gone forever. Go ahead and cry! Seriously, cry your ass off because it sucks. When your done, wipe your tears off and tell yourself you can do it. You can overcome this temporary setback in a lifelong journey. Its your life. Grab it by the balls, suck it up princess because you only have one. Ask yourself what you want to make the rest of it? Do you want to worry about if you will ever be able to chew steak or corn again.....of course you can. It depends on you. Is it going to hurt....yes! is it ever going to be like natural teeth? Hell no! The good news is the pain gets better and you can adapt and learn to live with your dentures in a comfortable way. If your dentures fit properly and you listen to the advise of a competent dentist while getting over your own self pitty....you can chew anything and everything you want with patience and practice with dentures. I have a father in law that can eat corn on the cob with no teeth or dentures. I have no clue how the man does it.....corn, steak, chicken etc....anything, with no teeth or dentures. Common sense says I have the upper hand with dentures and you will too. The quicker you can accept your situation, the sooner you will adapt to it and conquer it. The first weekish is rough. Its not easy and I don't suspect the next 3 to 6 months to be like tying my shoes but in time, everything will be exactly the way you make it. There is no excuse for weight loss at all. Eggs, soups, protein powders, ground beef, most fish etc.....are super easy to eat. Stop being such a baby and get down to business. Your teeth are gone, deal with it. I'm 100% confident I will be chewing a steak in 2 weeks when I get my top plate relined. That will be 3 weeks after extractions. Poutine, fish and ground beef is a piece of cake after one week and a lower soft reline. Get real, get to work and move forward. Its nobody's fault but your own if you can't do anything. Good luck and welcome to a new chapter in your life.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,651,695 times
My experience ( November 2010) has been a good one.

Hardly any problems at all.

I think part of the reason is I went to a clinic that specializes in complete extractions and dentures.

I don't trust a hometown dentist who pulls very few teeth in an entire year.
Practice makes perfect................even in the dental profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health