U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 41,339 times

Advertisements

ive had this upper denture about 5 days now and i cant put any pressure on my teeth at all without pain.I am wondering what is the normal period before one can start chewing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,460,838 times
I think it totally depends on the person. Some people say they could eat right away, others need several weeks. Eat lots of soft food, mashed potatoes, soups, smoothies etc. You might want to go back to your dentist and make sure your gums are healing ok! Good luck!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM

444 posts, read 756,843 times
I was left without a denture for 3 months after I had to remove my upper teeth, I nearly starved to death! I lost 20 pounds, and I was not healthy because of it. It shouldnt hurt, go back to that dentist and tell them where the pressure is felt and they will adjust it. It hurts because it doesnt fit quite right. My dentist argued with me many times about "you'll be glad you waited, it will fit better", and "Your teeth only touch 8 minutes a day", (which is NOT TRUE! you have to close your teeth to swallow, and you do that at least 2000 times a day). Your mouth will shrink, no doubt about that, so you will have a period of discomfort, and they make a denture to fit what you were at that moment, so if it does not improve, you will have to get them to replace it again, keep going back to get it right. I still have severe TMJ because mine is still not right for me after a year, makes me kinda crabby. sorry for your pain, I can relate. I am on my second set, and they are loose, but at least I have gained weight again, and can eat. I hated not eating what I wanted. Should have seen me tear up a cheeseburger! I made fun of it alot, like I would be outside when it was cold, and I would comment to a stranger "Sure is cold, if I have any teeth, they'd be chattering", lol. I had to make fun of it, or I would have died. Good luck

Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,495,689 times
I had my upper teeth removed and the dentist wouldn't even try a mold until the 6-month mark - while I had no uppers, I was able to eat soft foods and supplemented with Boost or Ensure and V-8 juice if necessary. Since I've gotten the dentures I've had no problems at all. The plate fits well, no need for adhesives, etc.

OP - did you have a "same day dentures"? I know people who had those and had a terrible time with pain afterwards and getting a good fit. Others have had no problems with them - I think it depends on the person, really.

Like others have said - go back to the dentist and tell him/her about the pain you're having. In the meantime, try the soft foods and if need be, get some Boost or Ensure and V-8 to be sure you get the nutrition you need for the healing process. I also took extra vitamin C while the gums were healing.

Hope this helps.....

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 76,799 times
My husband has a full set of dentures and cannot even chew his food. The dentist claims he needs to get use to them, it has nothing to do with getting use to it. Why can he not chew. It's like there is to much hardware in his mouth.

Please answer
Thank you

Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 76,799 times
My husband has a full set of dentures and cannot even chew his food. The dentist claims he needs to get use to them, it has nothing to do with getting use to it. Why can he not chew. It's like there is to much hardware in his mouth.

Please answer
Thank you

Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,078,148 times
When there is a foreign object in your mouth saliva increases.

Dentures can cause some people real discomfort due to increased saliva while the body is adjusting to having this stuff in the mouth.

Many times it is a matter of getting use to them but if he is that uncomfortable get a second opinion.

Look at the gums; are they reddened, swollen, discolored, pain, odor. Do they fit, slide, is he using a paste.

In the interem there are many drinks and soft foods as previously mentioned to exact the protein and calores needed per day.

Invest in a good blender or juicer.

Did the dentist pull all the teeth? Some dentists will shave the teeth to the gum line instead of pulling them (to maintain structure in the jaw). He's got a mouthful of foreign material in his mouth. It takes getting used to (especially upper and lower at the same time).

I realize the original OP had only an upper but I hope you were able to glean some info from the other posts.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 AM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
I have a full upper plate (about 4 years now) and have to say I've had very little discomfort even when I got it. I still don't like eating with it, though, due to lack of mouth feel.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,516,586 times
I had the pull them out and get them put in on the same day done years ago and I liked it. There was NO WAY I would have went without any teeth in there for any time, that is why I went where I did. I found the dentures protected the sensitive gums and I was able to eat after the normal healing time for any wound, it will take time for the swelling to go down so that needs to be considered also.

However, there are places on some dentures that have what I call a "bleep", a bubble of spot that isn't smooth and will tear your gums up making them sore in that spot. I always took care of those spots myself with a file and only if I couldn't did I bother to go back and have the dentist do it.

I would say a normal healing time of 10 days to 2 weeks for the open wound to heal and most swelling to go down is long enough. I wouldn't expect to eat a steak without pain or discomfort for about a month to 6 weeks but after several months, it should be business as usual. You just learn what to avoid until then.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 37,084 times
i just had all my teeth puled and am wearing "temporary" dentures. I get permanent ones on about 6 months, after my gums are completely healed. I am having an extremely hard time chewing. It's been only 4 days, but even scrambled eggs are a chore! How long until i can actually enjoy a cracker??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health