Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:37 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times

Advertisements

bart 0323 - would you expect a 90 yr old to regenerate bone to hold the implants? And would you expect the time to be the same as, or longer than, someone, say, half her age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 12:04 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
I do understand that she would still need to have 2 implants put in for the snaps, and I know it would be more expensive, but if it makes it easier for her to deal with putting in her teeth and taking them out every day then I think it is worth it.

I am more interested in hearing from anyone who has had them if they are much easier and more comfortable than regular dentures. At this point I am only looking to make her daily routine simpler and more "gag-free"!
My dentist made a notch (or something) on the adjacent teeth to fasten the dentures to. No implant.

Because of this there is the risk of eventually harming the teeth the dentures are fastened to but at her age I see this as negligent. This is something for the orthodontist to evaluate.

For me, the two missing teeth are far enough back that I can generally go without the denture around the house to save wear on my teeth and I use them for appearance's sake when I am with other people or out for a day.

Vanity dentures," my dentist teased me.

I feel the same as she about excessive dental work in extreme old age. I'm not interested in burying $30,000 worth of dental work that could be left for my kids.

Try to work with the dentist about a happy medium of what's crucial for health issues.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:13 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
bart 0323 - would you expect a 90 yr old to regenerate bone to hold the implants? And would you expect the time to be the same as, or longer than, someone, say, half her age?

Age by itself is not a contraindication, but depending on if she has other systemic conditions (diabetes, osteoporosis, etc) and medications may affect the success of the implants.

At 90 years old, the finances are really the only thing she is in control of. Her bone volume and medical history is not. Check with her dentist and physician to see if she is a candidate for implant surgery.. Although, if she was able to tolerate a full mouth of eextractions (assuming the teeth were not already so loose that a hard sneeze would have gotten them out) ,it is very likely that she can tolerate the placement of implants.

Again, she's 90. If she's medically healthy enough and can afford it, I say go for it. Even if she passes away within a year or so, think about how many meals she has enjoyed in just that time alone. You ever go to the local nursing home around meal time? You'll see the oldies wheeling themselves in early to get a good spot. That's because a good meal is pretty much all these folks have to look forward to. Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My dentist made a notch (or something) on the adjacent teeth to fasten the dentures to. No implant.

Because of this there is the risk of eventually harming the teeth the dentures are fastened to but at her age I see this as negligent. This is something for the orthodontist to evaluate.

For me, the two missing teeth are far enough back that I can generally go without the denture around the house to save wear on my teeth and I use them for appearance's sake when I am with other people or out for a day.

Vanity dentures," my dentist teased me.

I feel the same as she about excessive dental work in extreme old age. I'm not interested in burying $30,000 worth of dental work that could be left for my kids.

Try to work with the dentist about a happy medium of what's crucial for health issues.
You don't have a complete denture. You have a partial denture. Huge difference.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is bone loss an issue for a 90 year old?

My (71 year old) spouse was told he couldn't have implants because he had lost too much underlying bone. But this was probably 8 years ago. He would be thrilled to hear that there have been advances in implant surgery.
There is a bone grafting, which means generating new bone

Old 02-15-2022, 07:03 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I'm a dentist who has done a lot of snap in dentures. I have had a ton of denture patients asking for implants, but never any implant patients asking for dentures. Take that for what you will.

If she can afford it, I would tell her to do it (snap in dentures). She's 90. She can't take the money with her. Let her spend her remaining years enjoying her meals with confidence instead of gumming it or fiddling around with a bunch of glue.
I so much appreciate your comment. I'm facing similar and have the funds; but Im afraid to end up toothless with a mess doing all-on-4s. I was told by 2 DDS over the past 36 yrs that I was going to have a difficult time wearing dentures, if I ever needed them, because of my palate shape. I'm currently looking at Golpa permanent implants that are done in 2 days at their 3 US sites. Thank you!

Old 03-30-2022, 06:04 PM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
I also have a front upper teeth bridge that keeps falling out! Today it fell out only hours after the dentist put it back in. Said the roots will not hold it in place. Awful. Hard to eat. Speech is slurred.

So my question is, does anyone just keep their dentures in without taking them out at night? I dont want to do that, sounds very annoying and unpleasant.

Got another opinion and the dentist is extremely expensive. $5000 for a bridge

Old 04-01-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I also have a front upper teeth bridge that keeps falling out! Today it fell out only hours after the dentist put it back in. Said the roots will not hold it in place. Awful. Hard to eat. Speech is slurred.

So my question is, does anyone just keep their dentures in without taking them out at night? I dont want to do that, sounds very annoying and unpleasant.

Got another opinion and the dentist is extremely expensive. $5000 for a bridge
A denture is designed to be removed for cleaning and keeping healthy gums around the implants. Imagine wearing your shoes 24/7. How do you think your feet will feel/smell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health