Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hi.. I'm Eric and I'm 24 years old. I had my right wisdom tooth removed as it was growing horizontally at 90 degree. my left wisdom is also to be removed as it is also growing at 45 degree. as of now i dont feel any pain as such. so with both my wisdom teeth removed, I'l be left with 30 teeth. but the tooth just above the right wisdom tooth is gone. doc said its half dead. so it has to be removed. my teeth are crowded n doc said four teeth has to be removed for putting braces. That leaves me with 25 teeth. are there any side effects of removing so many teeth and that too at this age. Please help and suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 AM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Orthodontic extraction cases have been going on for decades! If you don't like the treatment plan, try finding an orthodontist who can do a non-extraction case. If they all say it can't be done then it can't be done, in which case your child may have some pretty severe crowding issues most likely.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
Am 16 , I got wisdom teeth pulled before I had my braces. Now the dentist wants to pull out 2 of my bottom teeth and in the future there is a great chance they will want to pull my top. I have been so stressed. Because I have always been happy with my teeth . And am wondering what are the chances the gaps won't close, am going be so insecure all over again and go into deep depression over this. Someone please help me and give me answers. then I live with my aunt, cause my mom is deceased, so it's not like she is here to Make that choice for me.. help guys! Plus prey for me

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewell16_ View Post
Am 16 , I got wisdom teeth pulled before I had my braces. Now the dentist wants to pull out 2 of my bottom teeth and in the future there is a great chance they will want to pull my top. I have been so stressed. Because I have always been happy with my teeth . And am wondering what are the chances the gaps won't close, am going be so insecure all over again and go into deep depression over this. Someone please help me and give me answers. then I live with my aunt, cause my mom is deceased, so it's not like she is here to Make that choice for me.. help guys! Plus prey for me
If your teeth are really crowded and nothing is done to make more space, any improvement due to wearing braces may be lost once the braces come off, particularly if you do not wear a retainer for the rest of your life.

The braces will close the gaps. The crowded teeth will be happy to have the space. Keep the goal in mind: healthy, straight teeth. Nothing to be depressed about.

Have the dentist show you some before and after pictures.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
Just wanted to chip in here that about 23 years ago I had 4 premolars pulled by my dentist. I am 35 now, and was 12 back then.

I have serious gum recession, but only at the site of the removed premolars, going down to the root of the teeth that were moved in place by the braces...

Fingers crossed this wont get any worse.

So far, I have not found any long term study of premolar removal for dental braces, but if this gets any worse I am gonna sue my dentist's ass.

Last edited by giorgio79; 05-06-2015 at 03:02 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
You can't collect on a civil suit 23 years after the fact. There's a statute of limitations.

It's possible that failed to maintain during that 23-year span. It's also possible that at some point during the last 23 years, bone grafting was recommended but you chose to decline.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Hi..i m shiva ...my upper 4 teeths are little bit outer from my lip....so i want to put braces...so i get appointment with orthodentist....they checked and told that....we have to remove 4 teeths upper and lower side....so i m confused removing teeth is any problem for eye & ear.....so please any one give details on it...

Old 12-20-2015, 01:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
OP, get a second opinion. I had teeth extracted for orthodontic treatment many years ago. It totally changed the way my teeth fit together, and I've had nothing but trouble ever since. I'm not saying it's inappropriate in your child's case, but you should get as much information as possible before proceeding.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Hi my 11 year old daughter needs braces and the ortho says that she needs 2top and 2 bottom teeth removed to make room.. i've never heard of this and after reading on the internet about it alot of people say to get 2nd opinion. alot of dentist dont want to take the time to fix the teeth that are already there. so now if i do get it done wont she have spaces in her mouth until braces get put on?with school starting and all i dont want her to look funny.
anyone else experience this?
deb
nj

While pulling healthy teeth should not be taken lightly, and a second opinion is reasonable, this is far from uncommon. Aside from "bite" problems, crooked teeth (due to crowding) is the most common reason for braces. The orthodontist is an expert and, often, it's impossible to straighten crowded teeth when there isn't sufficient room.

Teeth can be challenging. I had a lot of friends with braces, yet their parents had beautiful teeth. Often, kids get (for example) large teeth from one parent, and a small arch from the other. That yields crowding, and removing wisdom teeth alone (if they even erupt) still doesn't leave enough room to move the teeth into proper placement.

The orthodontist should be able to explain the reason for the extractions. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
There might be alternatives. My youngest endured a palate expander, which was not fun, but it negated the need for extraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health