Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl12 View Post
Thanks for all of your posts. I have to have a deep cleaning. Periodontist said it will take 2.5 hours. I was wondering if I could have it with NO Anesthetic ? Anybody ever have dental work without any numbing meds ?
I've had a deep cleaning with no anesthetic, the hygienist kept telling me it would be awful without a local but I refused a local & didn't think it was bad at all. But I wouldn't do it if they used a cavitron, I can't stand those things they give me shocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,723 times
I had a horrible reaction to Epinephrine. The dentist injected me, (I have no fear of shots), and within minutes my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest, and I had a weird sensation across my abdomen. I really felt like I was going to die, and the thought of that happening in the company of those people, was kind of horrible. Both the dentist and the Hygienist were in jolly humour over my condition. I had, had MANY dental procedures done previously, with no reaction like that. I am 69, and the brutal dentist, had no care what so ever as to the condition that I was in. I think that he must have hit a blood vessel, and have had heart arrhythmia ever since that episode. I take no medications, can walk for miles, and have low blood pressure. Now I wonder if my heart has been permanently damaged by this one callous dentist, as I now have episodes of irregular and, or rapid heart beats. No it's not my imagination. What do you think?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki mccune View Post
I had a horrible reaction to Epinephrine. The dentist injected me, (I have no fear of shots), and within minutes my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest, and I had a weird sensation across my abdomen. I really felt like I was going to die, and the thought of that happening in the company of those people, was kind of horrible. Both the dentist and the Hygienist were in jolly humour over my condition. I had, had MANY dental procedures done previously, with no reaction like that. I am 69, and the brutal dentist, had no care what so ever as to the condition that I was in. I think that he must have hit a blood vessel, and have had heart arrhythmia ever since that episode. I take no medications, can walk for miles, and have low blood pressure. Now I wonder if my heart has been permanently damaged by this one callous dentist, as I now have episodes of irregular and, or rapid heart beats. No it's not my imagination. What do you think?
I've never heard that it causes any permanent damage, I don't know how it could.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
I have had that happen before, (1990s) but it was short lived and temporary. The dentist even said it was a normal reaction. Didn't have any long lasting effects.

On another note, I DID develop arrhythmia several years ago out of nowhere; and it lasted about 3 years. then one day - they just went away. One thing I did was start taking a lot of magnesium, because I believe my electrolytes were out of balance. I am almost your age, and I think as we get older we are just a bit more vulnerable to things. By the way PVCs are quite common and usually benign, but you may want to get it checked out. I went to doctor and they didn't find anything wrong. And like I said, I am fine now.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Now I wonder if my heart has been permanently damaged by this one callous dentist, as I now have episodes of irregular and, or rapid heart beats. No it's not my imagination. What do you think?
What did your physician say?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Sounds like you should get an evaluation from a cardiologist. Perhaps start with a primary care physician and get a referral to a cardiologist. Whatever you do, do NOT tell them these symptoms started with the dental work and epinephrine. Just tell them your symptoms and say they began within the last year or so (or whenever). If you lead a doctor into thinking he will become involved in a problem created by another doctor, they will not give an honest evaluation. They don't need to know every little detail, just enough to evaluate your situation.

FWIW, I had a similar reaction to dental epinephrine years ago. Its written all over my chart NO EPINEPHRINE, but they will inject it anyways if I don't remind them, which I do. Doctors rarely read charts, I think they feel its beneath them The best thing to do, get a very experienced dentist who's fast. The epinephrine is to constrict the tissues so the Novocain stays in the tooth area, otherwise, it flows out rather quickly and the patient feels pain before the procedure is through. You need a dentist who is faster than the pain meds!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Sounds like you should get an evaluation from a cardiologist. Perhaps start with a primary care physician and get a referral to a cardiologist. Whatever you do, do NOT tell them these symptoms started with the dental work and epinephrine. Just tell them your symptoms and say they began within the last year or so (or whenever). If you lead a doctor into thinking he will become involved in a problem created by another doctor, they will not give an honest evaluation. They don't need to know every little detail, just enough to evaluate your situation.
So you expect an honest evaluation from the doctor, yet you are purposely omitting/lying about your own health history? How is the doctor supposed to give you the best assessment when you won't even tell them the whole truth? The doctor-patient relationship is built on trust. You have already ruined any chance of that relationship developing. The doctor can only go by the information you provide. When you lie/purposely omit Information, the only person that will suffer as a result of inadequate medical treatment is YOU.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidratay View Post
I had a tooth pulled a week ago. It's was EXTREMELY painful as the dentist couldn't get me totally numb. Afterwards my chin and all around my mouth started breaking out in little red bumps. Over the next few days the inside of my mouth and gums starting having the same bumps more and more. They are very painful. The dentist says that I must be allergic to latex! These bumps hurt sooooo bad! Anyone else had this problem? What did you do, bender yo isn't working!
yeah, I'm allergic to latex and the same thing happens to me. I break out if I wear any clothes with elastic and I'm also sensitive to spandex, it sucks to be allergic to something that's so common. Try some hydrocortisone cream, you can buy it in any drug store, and if it continues take some benadryl.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
Default Vasovagal symptoms

Hi, I saw this quote of yours after I went to the dentist and had an allergic reaction to novocaine. I have some sort of vasovagal/sympathy problem, but I haven't received a diagnosis after 4 years of seeing doctors. Do you mind telling me what tests you had done to get diagnosed? It would mean the world to me! Thanks - cjaxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I can speak to this firsthand since I too cannot tolerate even the smallest amount of epinephrine or any other adrenergic (i.e., produces an adrenaline-like effect) medication. I even experience a reaction to pseudoephedrine which is the ingredient used in the majority of over-the-counter "non-drowsy" allergy/cold medications, because pseudoephedrine is also adrenergic. Therefore I can't take any of those.

I have vaso-vagal syncope which can have different triggers depending on the individual. My syncope is caused by an underlying medical condition which is a hypersensitivity of the tenth cranial nerve and although the more common triggers of syncope (fainting; see Vasovagal episode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) don't bother me, my trigger is the sudden production of any amount of excess adrenaline -- which is why epinephrine, which produces the same effect as adrenaline but in a sudden rush rather than a more gradual buildup as happens in our bodies in most cases of stress, causes me to have a syncopal episode. That's why I can handle stressful situations as long as they don't happen suddenly with no warning. That particular cranial nerve of mine doesn't know the difference between a sudden adrenaline spike from an injection and one from, say, turning a corner and coming face to face with a dead body. It will react the same way and the syncopal mechanism is the same.

It took many years before one of my doctors had the sense to order the kind of tests that correctly diagnosed what I had. Ever since, I am extremely careful to specify that I must be given only straight Lidocaine (no epi) and that any other meds I am given cannot contain epi or anything that produces an adrenaline-type reaction. Even though it's always on my chart, I remind the doctor AND remind them again as they are literally reaching for the bottle and syringe (because habits are hard to break!).

Once the reaction starts, the only way to avoid it progressing to brief unconsciousness is to immediately have someone lift the feet ABOVE the head and keep them there until the episode is over and blood pressure/heart rate is back to normal. Sitting up or standing while in a syncope episode is the worst thing you can do; what you want is for the blood that has rushed to your stomach and feet to get back up to your brain and heart ASAP. If you're sitting or standing, gravity is working against you! Most people with VV syncope can feel it starting but there are some who pass right out almost instantly with no warning right after the med is administered; if you're one of them, best to ALWAYS have any procedure done lying down flat if possible (gravity again!). If not, then at least somewhat leaning back and always tell the doctor about the feet-higher-than-head thing beforehand... just in case.

susan42 is right about the fight-or-flight reactions but there are also other chemicals that are released by the adrenergic nerves. These include norepinephrine (aka noradrenaline) and dopamine. The reason that the allergy med Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) makes people sleepy is that it interferes with the normal levels of norepinephrine in the body. The makers of Sudafed had the bright idea of including an adrenergic drug (pseudoephedrine) to counteract the norepinephrine-depressing effect of the antihistamine ingredient . To paraphrase Janis Joplin, "One med makes you sleepy, one med wakes you up" .... both working at the same time.

People such as myself who are supersensitive to adrenergics react way out of proportion to the "wake up" part of the combo, which is why I can't take anything that has a "non-drowsy" effect.

And nope, I can't drink anything that has caffeine in it either.

Anyway, if you've ever had an unpleasant reaction to standard novocaine, just make sure your dentist or doctor uses straight Lidocaine instead. And give them a heads-up. Nobody likes surprises.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,723 times
This is to the person who dismisses the possibility that rapid heart rate from Epinephrine could cause any permanent heart damage. I haven't been to medical school, but perhaps if your heart is forced into say, two or three times it's normal heartbeat rate, it could cause damage to the heart muscles. When your heart rate goes up while exercising, you are breathing hard, and therefore bringing in more Oxygen, to supply your heart with that Oxygen to accommodate such a rapid heart beat. If the heart can't get enough Oxygen, heart tissues can die. It's much like over exerting the heart to the point that it fails, hence a heart attack. If you got to the point that your heart was beating that fast, while exercising, you would be breathing really hard, and gasping for breath, and usually most people would slow down, take a break, or stop altogether, to let the Oxygen supply going to all of the bodies organs, catch up with the Oxygen supply pumping through their heart, to all of those organs.The tissues of the heart might not be able to get enough Oxygen either, so they can die, and then that part of your heart is now damaged, so that it compromises how well your heart works from then on. We of course need our hearts to live, so it could be an issue. You can negate my thinking, but you won't change my mind about this concern. It seems that the forced very rapid heart beat from dental injections, can cause problems for some people. I do think that it's also possible that your heart muscles can recover over time, like any other muscle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health