Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

I had a severe reaction to epinephrine also from the dentist, and have had a reoccurring reaction when my adrenaline starts pumping (get excited or upset). I ended up in the ER for the second time, and almost a 3rd time today. Why is this happening? Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times
I have an appointment set up with my regular doctor, and I'm really nervous about it. Will they do testing, will this happen for the rest of my life? I'm so scared!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmierae71 View Post
I had a severe reaction to epinephrine also from the dentist, and have had a reoccurring reaction when my adrenaline starts pumping (get excited or upset). I ended up in the ER for the second time, and almost a 3rd time today. Why is this happening? Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?
A local anesthetic can't cause side effects once it's out of your system. If you are having repeated episodes after you left the dentist's office my guess is you are having panic attacks and it's unrelated to the local anesthetic

Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,947,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmierae71 View Post
I had a severe reaction to epinephrine also from the dentist, and have had a reoccurring reaction when my adrenaline starts pumping (get excited or upset).?

There is no recurring reaction to an anesthetic you were given that has since worn off.

It sounds like anxiety.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
I was ant dentis office in may 2018. They were going to fix fillings and get one wisdom tooth out. They were about to be done with local anaesthesia and i ask them to stop everything. I was getting tremors, palpitations, some shortness of breath. I just didnt feel right. I Ended up In ER With anxiety medication. Ever since ive struggle with Anxiety and panic attacks. I went back to. A different dentis today and talked to them about the problem and told me they can do oral conscious sedation. Will this help with palpitations? They said this will help with anxiety. I have appt in 2 week. I dont want to have the same experience.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,021,115 times
I cannot tolerate even the least bit of epi (even in a local) or anything that acts like epi ("adrenergic") including any OTC non-drowsy allergy or cold meds.

Epi and those other meds are the primary trigger for my vasovagal syncope. I've been this way since my early 20s and am now retired.

If I need a local anesthetic I get either straight Lidocaine or straight Carbocaine. Because there's no epi in those, they wear off pretty fast; about 10 minutes for me. I always make sure the dentist knows about my epi sensitivity and also that he/she has extra "shots" lined up so that when I indicate I need more added, it can be done immediately.

You'd be surprised at how many common medications and drugs have an adrenergic (adrenaline-like) effect. For example, the analgesic Demerol (meperidine) which is routinely given before any surgical procedure during "pre-op" prep does not contain any epinephrine BUT when it acts on the body it produces a very slight adrenergic effect and if you are sensitive to any increase in adrenaline (either from your own body itself or anything you're given) you will have the same reaction to it as to epi.

Bronchodilators, vasopressors (like epi), and any kind of cardiac stimulants are all adrenergic. I have allergies and so a double whammy because I can neither take allergy meds NOR epi if I start to have an allergic reaction. Thus I have to practice scrupulous avoidance of all my allergy culprits.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I cannot tolerate even the least bit of epi (even in a local) or anything that acts like epi ("adrenergic") including any OTC non-drowsy allergy or cold meds.

Epi and those other meds are the primary trigger for my vasovagal syncope. I've been this way since my early 20s and am now retired.

If I need a local anesthetic I get either straight Lidocaine or straight Carbocaine. Because there's no epi in those, they wear off pretty fast; about 10 minutes for me. I always make sure the dentist knows about my epi sensitivity and also that he/she has extra "shots" lined up so that when I indicate I need more added, it can be done immediately.

You'd be surprised at how many common medications and drugs have an adrenergic (adrenaline-like) effect. For example, the analgesic Demerol (meperidine) which is routinely given before any surgical procedure during "pre-op" prep does not contain any epinephrine BUT when it acts on the body it produces a very slight adrenergic effect and if you are sensitive to any increase in adrenaline (either from your own body itself or anything you're given) you will have the same reaction to it as to epi.

Bronchodilators, vasopressors (like epi), and any kind of cardiac stimulants are all adrenergic. I have allergies and so a double whammy because I can neither take allergy meds NOR epi if I start to have an allergic reaction. Thus I have to practice scrupulous avoidance of all my allergy culprits.
Good information, thanks. I am sensitive to epinephrine too. But I think you may be wrong about Lidocaine, I'm pretty sure it has 2% epi. I can manage Lidocaine but not Articaine. Last time I went to the dentist he gave me articaine, I got the normal brief shakiness from it, but then my ears started to ring. While I was driving home my lip swelled, my nose started running and I sneezed nonstop. His office was closed so I figured it had to be an allergic reaction & went and bought some benadryl, after taking a few of them most of the symptoms cleared up but my mouth remained numb for almost 24 hours.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 12-18-2018 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 PM

70 posts, read 75,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Amen to that!!

I also have the "racing heart" reaction to the epinephrine, and my dentist tried doing a couple fillings with no epi, and he couldn't do it. He said that without the epi, the numbness wears off to fast for him to do the work.

So, I take a few deep breaths and just tolerate the racing heart. However, after getting lidacaine, I usually have to rest for the remainder of the day. It knocks me out.

For the record, I'm extremely healthy and yet seem very sensitive to any and all drugs.
The long lasting dental Local is carbocaine but as far as I know it has nothing to do with bleeding. I'm NOT a dental professional.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Good information, thanks. I am sensitive to epinephrine too. But I think you may be wrong about Lidocaine, I'm pretty sure it has 2% epi. I can manage Lidocaine but not Articaine. Last time I went to the dentist he gave me articaine, I got the normal brief shakiness from it, but then my ears started to ring. While I was driving home my lip swelled, my nose started running and I sneezed nonstop. His office was closed so I figured it had to be an allergic reaction & went and bought some benadryl, after taking a few of them most of the symptoms cleared up but my mouth remained numb for almost 24 hours.
I just read that articaine and articaine with lowered epinephrine (orabloc) were on the FDA watch list! Don't know if the still are.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalkid_1 View Post
This is an interesting thread. I am facing a possible return to the dentist and decided before I call I would google for a bit. This is what I came to and I am so happy to find similar posts concerning this change in dentistry methods.

Here is my 2cents. In August of 2005 I am pretty sure I had my first bad reaction to the topic of this post. I called up a dentist in town that I had been to years before, and a new dentist had taken over ect ect. SO I went in and told him I would like my upper wisdom teeth removed.

Years before I had x rays done and this was determined to be a future course of action should I start to feel the wisdom teeth coming in.
And so they were, So I made an appointment with the last dentist I had been to in town years before for an extraction, and made arrangment for a local only because I had no one to drive me.

so I was the first appointment on a Monday morning (which by my calculations would prove to give me the best possible outcome for a good experience, as the staff had the weekend to relax, and would be fresh in the morning).

I climbed in the chair, got comfortable and waited for the injections. The dentist was having some sort of battle of wills with the dental hygienist over me, as he was waving the needle around, and then he injected me. I felt very very funny, then sweat started pouring down my brow, my hearing faded, I lost my sight and slumped over in the dental chair, then slid out of the chair and fell on the ground.

Next thing I know I am on the concrete floor of the dental office coming to, they helped my up, brought to another room, I still did not have sight. I could hear what was going on around me though, I was being shuffled to the room and given a wet cloth, asked if I was ok, if I had ever had a reaction like this before ect ect.

I had not, in the past 15 years of monthly dental/orthodonist work, ever experienced this in the past. I was there a good half hour before my sight began to return, an hour before I was able to drive myself the 12 miles home. I never went back in anywhere for that and my wisdom teeth stopped coming in after another month or so. I wont be getting my wisdom teeth out.

I did not return to any dentist for about 2 years, and when I did I returned to a new dentist out of town from where I live. I had several things done with him, the last 2 appointments were with the new epi-and I had about everything you all have posted here during the procedures.

I had an extraction of a prior root canal removed in 2008 and it was 2.5 hours because the tooth kept braking off inside the gum. It got quite barbarric in the end. And although I am thankful to have be rid of that tooth I just don't know If I am willing to go through that again.

Thank you for sharing, the information is the key to the understanding.
AND people are afraid of pain from root canals even though most of them have had fillings and theyre told correctly that the experience is similar to having a filling, yet they don't fear the barbarism and epinephrine needed to have an extraction (also while awake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health