U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 AM

2,367 posts, read 3,583,648 times

Advertisements

I remember one root canal the dentist had to inject me several times. ( I lost count after 8) When it was over I got in my car to drive home. Luckily I had to stop at a gas station. I had gone inside to pay and my reaction to all the Novocain was to pass out.

It was really weird. The entire right side of my head was numb, from the visit and when I got out of my car and walked into the station, my vision tunneled, I lost my hearing for a few seconds and then the next thing I know the manager was standing over me asking me if I was ok. She brought out a chair for me to sit in and gave me some ice water. I sat there for a good half hour, before I felt like I would be ok to drive the 5 miles home. My head stayed numb all day though.

Since then I have always made sure someone else drives me to my dental procedures that require Novocain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 14,633 times
The last time I went to the dentist to have a back tooth pulled, I was given Lidocaine. I have Mitral Valve prolapse, and my heart raced really fast for about 15 + mins, but after that [i] felt really relaxed. It took more than an hour to cut out the tooth, but I was relaxed, almost to the point of being sleepy throughout. My physician recently told me, that this effect was normal, and the reason my heart was racing, might have been, that the needle accidently hit the nerve. I donot mind anything the dentist does, I just absolutely hate it when my heart races so fast.(like tacchicardia)

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM

310 posts, read 1,918,092 times
Racing heart=epinephrine. Needle hitting nerve=electrical shock sensation along the jawline. I've got anxiety/panic disorder, so a racing heart is VERY uncomfortable. Personally, I hate feeling either one.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 14,388 times
I went to the dentist last year and had two teeth pulled. when the dentist was numbing the area my head started to throb, my heart was pounding and I felt very nervous. Felt like I was going to die! Could this be a a bad reaction to the anestisia?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,378,037 times
I resurrected this thread because my daughter went to a Podiatrist yesterday; he injected her toe with a numbing med. I assume it was similar to those used by a dentist. They called me into the room within a few minutes because she had become sick--faint feeling,nauseated and said her chest felt tight and had begun hurting.
The doctor lowered the bed so her legs were elevated and within a few minutes she was better. She's ok now but has since told me it happened at the dentist before as well, when she was given Novocaine. Oh, and also told me after her last dental visit, her face was numb for 3 days.
Worries me because the doctor didn't react as though she were having a reaction to the med. He thought it was due to the needle; but uh uh-no way. I've seen her lie still and not at all anxious when a doctor aspirated cysts on her thyroid gland several times.
She has a dental appt next week and given what just happened yesterday and the fact that she's had issues before at the dentist; what should she tell the dentist? He's not seen her before as we're new to the area.
Bugs me that they always assume a person is scared of the needles and they don't react properly.
She said someone she works with is "allergic" to novocaine and has to have all dental work and some other medical procedures done without any numbing/pain/whatever the meds are called. That sounds very severe to me though.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM

310 posts, read 1,918,092 times
I doubt it's a reaction to the anesthetic. The symptoms she's describing are typical of an anxiety attack or syncope, not an allergic reaction. The telling sign is that after lying down for a bit she felt better. Raising her legs brings more blood (oxygen) to the brain. If her breathing problems were allergic, this would not have helped. Allergic reactions last quite a bit longer and in many cases require emergency procedures.

However, it can't hurt to be cautious. If you truly think your daughter might have an anesthetic allergy, see your physician so she can be tested. Anesthetic allergy is very, very, very rare, but some people do have them.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 PM

ok, thanks for your input. And I believe you know what you're talking about. Having said that though--I just don't think it's anxiety. That's the problem--we don't know what it is. She's not the type person to get excited,anxious,afraid of medical procedures...............she said she was relaxed-he gave her the numbing med and left the room. Within a few moments she was feeling her chest tighten,feeling faint and nauseated.........
When she was in her early teens she had to see cardiologists due to her heart beating too fast. They never did determine the actual problem but put her on Topral, which regulated it. She took that for about 3 years until they had her wean herself off.
You're right though in that she needs to see or speak to a family physician and address the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
I doubt it's a reaction to the anesthetic. The symptoms she's describing are typical of an anxiety attack or syncope, not an allergic reaction. The telling sign is that after lying down for a bit she felt better. Raising her legs brings more blood (oxygen) to the brain. If her breathing problems were allergic, this would not have helped. Allergic reactions last quite a bit longer and in many cases require emergency procedures.

However, it can't hurt to be cautious. If you truly think your daughter might have an anesthetic allergy, see your physician so she can be tested. Anesthetic allergy is very, very, very rare, but some people do have them.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,256 times
I had 3 fillings done on my lower left side of the mouth and accidentally, epinephrine got into my blood stream and my heart was pounding so fast and my breathing was very loud and fast. My whole body was shaking. Needless to say, I have never had this experience before at the dentist. But after 10 minutes later I was fine. The next day I had trouble opening my mouth, my neck was bit sore and I had pain at the injection site.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 AM

62 posts, read 128,201 times
Default epinephrine

DreamWeavin, did you read the earlier posts? Does it sound like your daughter was suffering a side effect from the epinephrine?

I found this site today because I had dental work done yesterday. (New dentist who bought my dentist's practice.) It was the first time I'd noticed actual swelling from the injection. This was from the fluid injected. I wondered if more was used than formerly. It was hours before I was able to safely eat again (more than 4), and today I ache all over as if my body was trying to clear out poisons. I assume it is the lymph dealing with this. And my chest feels tired. I told my husband my heart pounded through the whole procedure and I thought it was because I was so nervous. He just thought I was overreacting.

I was unaware that epinephrine was included in the shots, so I have something to speak with my dentist about, to see if he uses a different medication than the dentist he replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
ok, thanks for your input. And I believe you know what you're talking about. Having said that though--I just don't think it's anxiety. That's the problem--we don't know what it is. She's not the type person to get excited,anxious,afraid of medical procedures...............she said she was relaxed-he gave her the numbing med and left the room. Within a few moments she was feeling her chest tighten,feeling faint and nauseated.........
When she was in her early teens she had to see cardiologists due to her heart beating too fast. They never did determine the actual problem but put her on Topral, which regulated it. She took that for about 3 years until they had her wean herself off.
You're right though in that she needs to see or speak to a family physician and address the issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM

oh no, so sorry that happened to you. My daughter did speak with her new dentist and he said they can definitely leave out the EPI. You probably should ask that they note your record. Her doctor said to call it a reaction to-not an allergy to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieLinda View Post
DreamWeavin, did you read the earlier posts? Does it sound like your daughter was suffering a side effect from the epinephrine?

I found this site today because I had dental work done yesterday. (New dentist who bought my dentist's practice.) It was the first time I'd noticed actual swelling from the injection. This was from the fluid injected. I wondered if more was used than formerly. It was hours before I was able to safely eat again (more than 4), and today I ache all over as if my body was trying to clear out poisons. I assume it is the lymph dealing with this. And my chest feels tired. I told my husband my heart pounded through the whole procedure and I thought it was because I was so nervous. He just thought I was overreacting.

I was unaware that epinephrine was included in the shots, so I have something to speak with my dentist about, to see if he uses a different medication than the dentist he replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health