Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicchick581 View Post
It's the epinephrine! It causes anxiety-like symptoms which you described above. Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you it's not. They don't know much about anxiety!
Yep, back to the old flight or fight thing.If it gets into the bloodstream it could cause chest tightness and pain.
Ask for local anesthetic without epinephrine.
Novocaine is a local anesthetic with epineprine added.There are other anaesthetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 18,679 times
Default about epi

I went to the denist friday,she injected just a small amount of epi into my lower jaw,I felt it go up my face and the room started to spin.That was the last thing i remeber.The denist office is located by a dr office the nurse had to run and get the dr to come and survive me.After I woke up I was nausia.My best freind was with me she said i was out for about 4 minutes.I never want this experience again.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redabennett View Post
I went to the denist friday,she injected just a small amount of epi into my lower jaw,I felt it go up my face and the room started to spin.That was the last thing i remeber.The denist office is located by a dr office the nurse had to run and get the dr to come and survive me.After I woke up I was nausia.My best freind was with me she said i was out for about 4 minutes.I never want this experience again.
you need a no EPI red flagged on every medical file

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 59,725 times
My experience at the dentist. Got the shot, immediately went limp, dizzy,
shaky, and BP went to 179/100....sat up, dentist wanted to call 911 and I said, "NO WAY"....barely could reach for water, after awhile, got out of the chair and drove to my doctor's office. She did not say too much, seemed not to know about epinephrine, but I have been told about this by a relative and now, I feel confident to go back to my dentist and finally get my cap after having the root canal. Had many shots for it but the shots were in a different place. The shot that gave me this awful reaction was on the bottom right near the tooth that was to be worked on.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I wouldn't go to a dentist if he didn't use nitrous.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplets108 View Post
My experience at the dentist. Got the shot, immediately went limp, dizzy,
shaky, and BP went to 179/100....sat up, dentist wanted to call 911 and I said, "NO WAY"....barely could reach for water, after awhile, got out of the chair and drove to my doctor's office. She did not say too much, seemed not to know about epinephrine, but I have been told about this by a relative and now, I feel confident to go back to my dentist and finally get my cap after having the root canal. Had many shots for it but the shots were in a different place. The shot that gave me this awful reaction was on the bottom right near the tooth that was to be worked on.
you need to take a stand and MAKE any doctor/dentist/health professional know you MEAN NO EPI !!!!!!
Some brush it aside as if you're a nut job---screw them and that attitude.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM

80 posts, read 370,370 times
I also have to say that I never had a problem with novocaine when I was a kid. All these symptoms just started as an adult-so I KNOW it's not a reaction to the needle or whatever people are trying say. (I was afraid of needles as a kid, this time I wasn't-so I know for a fact it was from the drug and not my nonexistant fear).

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM

ok so my daughter's file is flagged at her dentist office. he knows the facts and they have discussed the issue. On Monday she had a crown put on and 2 teeth filled. Without the epi the dentist could not get her gums to numb. She said he gave her lots of shots to no avail. Without consulting her he then added epi to the mix and gave her some. She did numb up but said she knew ASAP that he had given her the epi because her chest began to hurt.
After all was said and done he admitted he had done so and she said "yea-I knew as soon as you did!!!!!"
His response was that he couldn't get her gums numb enough w/out using it.

She doesn't know what she's going to do. She needs one more tooth filled. Then, of course there could be future issues.
She's scared to go back now. She's afraid of the epi and how it makes her feel. She trusted the dentist to not use it. But if not using it means she has to have everything done with no pain killer or numbing meds................what can she do???
she's upset.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
I had this reaction multiple times both at the dentist and twice at dr's offices where they were removing moles and used local anesthetic. I ended up researching this topic because ALL the Dr's were clueless and came up with bizarre excuses - this was even after I told them ahead of time that I had previous reactions to local anesthetics.

Guess what the answer is (at least for me)?

I have an allergy to the Epinephrine preservatives sodium bisulfite and metabisulfite. Those preservatives are the cause of that temporary but scary reaction: sweating, heart palpitations, lips turning blue, etc... everything described in this thread.

I hope this helps some of you out.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I had this reaction multiple times both at the dentist and twice at dr's offices where they were removing moles and used local anesthetic. I ended up researching this topic because ALL the Dr's were clueless and came up with bizarre excuses - this was even after I told them ahead of time that I had previous reactions to local anesthetics.

Guess what the answer is (at least for me)?

I have an allergy to the Epinephrine preservatives sodium bisulfite and metabisulfite. Those preservatives are the cause of that temporary but scary reaction: sweating, heart palpitations, lips turning blue, etc... everything described in this thread.

I hope this helps some of you out.
thanks for the information; my daughter had it happen when she had moles removed at the dr's office too!! weird eh?
Solution though??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health