Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times

Advertisements

On my last visit to the dentist, he advised me that two of my wisdom teeth were impacted and the other two had cavities. He recommended that I remove all four.

I've never had a tooth removed and I am a little nervous about doing so. Should I wait until they bother me or take the plunge and have them removed?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience during and after the removal. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:22 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I had them out when I was a teenager, it wasn't all that bad, I had your exact situation as well. I had two they had to cut out and two they had to pull. Just make sure to follow the rules to a 'T' for the after care such as do not use a straw, etc, and you should be fine.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:46 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Let an oral surgeon do it if you do.

My only advice to you is to please, please let an oral surgeon do the work rather than a regular dentist if you do elect to have them done. Some dentists will indeed do them and I have a dear friend right now who is suffering from a really bad result from allowing her dentist to attempt what was clearly beyond his range. I'm sure in simple cases, this may turn out just fine, but please don't risk it. I won't bore (or horrify) you guys with all the details of what transpired with my friend, but suffice it to say that it will probably be a year and one half of treatment on her jaw before she is back to normal!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:29 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
On my last visit to the dentist, he advised me that two of my wisdom teeth were impacted and the other two had cavities. He recommended that I remove all four.

I've never had a tooth removed and I am a little nervous about doing so. Should I wait until they bother me or take the plunge and have them removed?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience during and after the removal. Thanks in advance for your input.
Definately have them out now. It'll just be a bigger pain the worse they get or the older you get. And I agree with kaykay you must have an oral surgeon do them not a dentist, especially if they are impacted. Well I think actually where I had mine done dentists wouldn't even do it. All four of mine were impacted so I had to go right under. It wasn't bad at all and the recovery was ok too.
Good advice cinderobyn: Don't drink out of a straw!
Good luck MV!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I agree with Kaykay...

I had two flesh impacted teeth and two bone impacted...

My brother in law is a dentist, I worked as a dental assistant and my sister is a hygenist...I had all four taken out but I would not allow my brother in law to do it.

I have watched alot of extractions in my time...I wanted to be completely knocked out, they started up an IV and I was off to sleep, I never knew what hit me, I woke up and they were gone.

They gave me a pack of steriod type medication that I took for a couple days afterward, you couldn't even see the swelling, I was eating Nachos 3 days afterward...They gave me some Percacet that kept me asleep all the time, I took it for like 24-36 hours and then gave it back to my brother in law and took Advil instead...

Ask your doctor to explain dry sockets to you...you don't drink through a straw, you don't smoke, you don't drink HOT soup, or you can break the clots loose in your mouth. I believe (but am not sure) that they advise against these things for 24 hours after extraction but get your doctor to tell you for sure.

If you wait too long, the wisdom teeth can change how the rest of your teeth are sitting in your mouth, normally people don't have room in their mouth for their normal teeth and the wisdom teeth...the wisdom teeth are hard to reach and brush so they often get cavities in them more easily then the others.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled June 2006 so the experience is still quite fresh in my mind. I recommend getting all 4 done so you don't chicken out on the others! I'm very weary of surgery (never had it until my wisdom teeth extraction) and was able to muster up enough courage to go on the big day. It's always a bigger deal in your head so don't sweat it. Definitely do your research though. My dentist referred me to an oral surgeon.

As far as post-op goes, I was in a lot of pain. I think I'm just a big baby though b'c my husband said when he got his pulled he attended a rock concert that very same night. Go figure! As for me, I lied in bed for about 2 days eating nothing but jello. I think on the third day I was able to drink luke warm soup and on the 4th I was *almost* back to normal. Everybody said all you need is the weekend. I needed about 5 days. Like I said, I'm probably the exception and not the rule!

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm really chicken when it comes to this whole teeth pulling stuff. I've never had sedation either. Some people tell me that it's like being really drunk. The problem with that is that I've never been drunk. A little buzzed maybe, but never drunk. Just thinking of sitting in that seat and someone is going to put me out and break the teeth off of my jaw isn't too appealing. I guess that it needs to be done though. I definately will have a surgeon do it though. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
I had my wisdom teeth taken out. It isn't anything. I was put under for the procedure. I think the worst part of it was the needle going in my arm. Other than that, the rest of it was talking to the nurse until the surgeon came in and told me to count backwards from 100. Which I did the last number I remember is 73. Then I woke up and it was all done.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Thanks. I've heard it both ways. Some people don't sweat it and breeze through the recovery. Others need a week and are in pain the whole time. With my luck, I'll be in intensive care for a month.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
My wisdom teeth were turned completely sideways. I only had 2 though on one side. The other ones never formed.

Just listen to them and everything will be okay. When they tell you not to talk, don't open your mouth. Seriously. I talked too much and my stitches broke it was a pain my mouth wouldn't stop bleeding for a few minutes and I had to change the gauze in my mouth many times because it was bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health